The Epic Photoshop help thread.

MrLlamaLlama

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input tox, I had to dig a bit to get to the free stuff, so I'll post a direct link in the first post ;)

Also, new sig, and shit.

Just thought I'd drop in here to say at some point this week I'll finally get around to posting video links in the second post of this topic for the "You Suck At Photoshop" series.

ITT, lies.

:awesome:

Thanks for the input tox, I had to dig a bit to get to the free stuff, so I'll post a direct link in the first post ;)

Also, new sig, and shit.

:hurrhurr: Thats awesome. Really good work. My Bad :(

Edit - Can somebody please put some light on Vector/s? Don't copy paste. I just want to learn the way how people over here think of vectors. Anyone?

Edit 2 - Check out http://monstertuts.com

Edited by TOXIC

Not quite sure what you're asking tox, do you want to know what vectors are / what vector is? Or, do do you want our opinion on them? I'll give both anyway.

What are vectors?

Vector images are images generated by a program such as photoshop (or, more successfully, illustartor). What separates theses images from regular images (such as jpg, png, gif) is that they can be resized, up or down, as many times as you like with no loss of quality, at all. A common use for this method would be a company logo. They might need to put this logo on a letter (quite small) or on a billboard (huge) One single vector image could handle both of these easily, because you only need one file, which won't go down in quality.

Any image created by using the shape tool in photoshop, or generated through using paths, is a vector.

Vector images, though, don't hold a universally viewable file type. That means you can't save them for viewing on your PC without special software (PS, illustrator, etc) And they also will not display for web users.. The most common file types for vectors, though are .eps and .ai .

What do I think about vectors?

being a graphic designer / student of I'm pretty much obliged to say I think they're awesome, and far more versatile as far as industry is concerned, since 9 / 10 times, logos are required to be vectors, instead of regular 'raster' images.

I also think that many people have the tendency to call some images 'vector art' - this only applies, rally if the image is 100% vector, and can be scaled as such, with no quality loss. That is not to say a combination of images derived from vectors and raster images can't look good, it's just a matter of me being a bit funny about terminology, as most designers do tend to be ;)

I'll add some images to help you understand better if you like?

Fuck it, here:

vecotrvsraster.png

That's pretty much it, but if you wanna see for yourself, download this .eps and open it in photoshop at 100x100, and 1500x1500, and see how they look the same.

Ah. So vectors are... practically. Logo's?

Not as such, no. Moar liek logos are vectors....most of the time. Like, the Grand theft auto logo would be a vector, originally. Because R* need it to be huge for billboard ads, and tiny for game boxarts, stickers etc. However, when it's put onto a screenshot, it's no longer a vector, since it's been made into a jpeg. ('raster' image) It's only a vector when it's in a vector file. Moving it from a vector file to a jpeg stops it being vector, even though the source was vector.

• 3 weeks later...
I've actually been using stock.xchange for years, but I never posted here because i didn't think many people cared for stock images :/ Awesome site nonetheless.

A Q? what's the reason if stocks on the site causes money to download none of them is free.

@Huckleberry Pie - Umm.....maybe to make the pic look better you can add some kind of rays to the girl's glasses or whatever it is. You can use the pen tool or the brush to make kind of lines in ther you know...and then apply motion blur or some kind of blur in there and maybe you can make the image a bit more colorful :huh:?

@Steam - Well I think that's pretty simple just duplicate the layer. Apply the relief effect and take a big round/square soft brush and erase the part which you don't want. But remeber when you erase it do it very carefully since if not it can spoil the whole image. and then maybe you can destuarate the layer below it and apply a sepia photo filter effect.

Not much to do you know. Post in your results ? :P

@Huckleberry Pie - Umm.....maybe to make the pic look better you can add some kind of rays to the girl's glasses or whatever it is. You can use the pen tool or the brush to make kind of lines in ther you know...and then apply motion blur or some kind of blur in there and maybe you can make the image a bit more colorful :huh:?

Not much to do you know. Post in your results ? :P

OK, I'll try. And the "glasses" that you're referring to are these green googles that Sam Fisher is donning in Splinter Cell:

1129612526_pandora_sam.jpg

And exactly how do I make rays on her goggles? And the blur thing?

EDIT: Here's the same image of Shirley donning goggles, but this time, I made it to look like as if you're on night vision:

3rdechelon_nightvision.jpg

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

Ok lemme explain huck first using the pen tool or using the brush tool(hard one) on a new layer make like lines towards the book not much just a little like half way or a little more and then use motion blur on the same angle in which you drew the lines. Play around with the levers and I think that should do the job.

I've actually been using stock.xchange for years, but I never posted here because i didn't think many people cared for stock images :/ Awesome site nonetheless.

A Q? what's the reason if stocks on the site causes money to download none of them is free.

Just make an account and you can download a shit ton of free stocks, not all of them are paid.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a nameplate I shooped for my niece, who's going to kindergarten:

nametag_princess.png

If anyone can come up with a better abstract background for her, let me know. Oh, and don't worry about the name, I won't be revealing details about her (Brian Peppers wannabes beware!)...

You can remove the shadow thing around the text. Besides, the tagline, in my opinion should have a smaller font size than the current one. Also, try to fit the tagline text in the same width as General Trias.
Or instead of trying to fit the text so that they take up the same amount of space, you could do it so that the shorter text is in a central position to the longer text.

Thanks, but I don't understand why he's still not satisfied with it. He wants to make it professional, but I said that I'm still not to snuff as of now. If he wants professional work, hire someone else instead. Go ask Nate about it, we discussed it on a YM conversation...