Youtube Muting Videos

Harwood Butcher

I'm not sure how well known this is around TGTAP, but I recently found out that Youtube has decided to mute any unauthorized audio from all videos containing such unauthorized audio. The majority of this "unauthorized audio" is, obviously, music. Besides the actual companies that have the rights to the audio being used, there are tons of members on Youtube that have unauthorized audio in their videos. I bet that the only Youtube members that have the rights to the music being used are the owners themselves. No one apart of the Youtube community would go so far as contacting these companies to get authorization and even if they felt like trying...they'd most likely get a "NO!" for an answer.

Yes, I realize that Youtube has really no say in this since they’re not above the law, but this is, in my opinion, the downfall of Youtube.

SOURCE

Your thoughts?

Youtube's so afraid of lawsuits, they won't investigate any claims of copyright infringement. Goddammit, those songs aren't being used by regular Youtube members to make a profit. They're just giving songs more exposure. Hell, I'd think record companies would jump at the chance for free publicity.

Youtube's so afraid of lawsuits, they won't investigate any claims of copyright infringement. Goddammit, those songs aren't being used by regular Youtube members to make a profit. They're just giving songs more exposure. Hell, I'd think record companies would jump at the chance for free publicity.

Yeah, I usually listen to songs on there and like a band, and.. well. If I wasn't so lazy I'd probably go a few Alien Ant Farm CD's...

Yeah, I usually listen to songs on there and like a band, and.. well. If I wasn't so lazy I'd probably go a few Alien Ant Farm CD's...

Thanks, you just convinced me to watch the video to These Days. Interrupting the Red Carpet of the BET Awards = ballsy. Getting everyone at the BET Awards to start rocking to the song = AWESOME. Getting arrested for it = worth it.

Edited by L-RiC

Copyright dictatorship... Which explains why I'm a bit of a copyfighter... There was a time when one of my videos were flagged by the admin as copyvio because of the audio being Soulja Boy's "Yahh!". I only used that for parody purposes, and now they're muting it? Crap, serious crap. Any more and I'll host at Chris's own ImageLodge for videos instead... :pissedred:

Copyright dictatorship... Which explains why I'm a bit of a copyfighter... There was a time when one of my videos were flagged by the admin as copyvio because of the audio being Soulja Boy's "Yahh!". I only used that for parody purposes, and now they're muting it? Crap, serious crap. Any more and I'll host at Chris's own ImageLodge for videos instead... :pissedred:

I'm pissed off too.

GO CHRIS!! ImageLodge ftw :D

I'm pissed off too.

GO CHRIS!! ImageLodge ftw :D

If only that he racks up more from his businesses and make IL number one, then this will be epic. In a year or two, ImageLodge will be overtaking YouTube! :lolbounce:

Yeah, they shouldn't automatically remove EVERY piece of audio that's copyrighted. Fair use? What if they own the music? What if the music was on TV?

Capitalism sucks. Well, communism sucks more. It actually looks really good on paper but IRL it doesn't work. We're too greedy as a species.

Oh and PLEASE do NOT use Youtube to download music and convert it into MP3s. Trust me, the quality will be shitty. Youtube mixes audio to low-bitrate mono sound so if you download it elsewhere it will sound better.

Probably by a few months, this may come on the news, and seriously sucks. I mean this is obviously going to make people download the song on their computer... So why do this for? They've only made themselves look worse, especially by making all these horrible changes and stupid rules. Seriosuly, YouTube shouldn't have changed, they were pretty decent back around 2006-2007.

If it was recorded from TV, YouTube block it, they actually said that in the copyright section. Stupid fuckers.

They're doing it because they are afraid of law suits. A few months back, Media Giant Viacom filed three law suits against them for having to much of their copyright material on Youtube. Disney also filed one, and I think that is just so stupid. Things like Pinochio, and Pochahontus where Public Domain for hundreds of years. Then Disney makes a movie of it, and the story sudenly became "Propety of Disney". WTF?

Viacom won all of their law suits, and where granted access to EVERY USER FILE ON YOUTUBE! Thats right, they can see What you watch, what you've uploaded, your private vids, what you ever commented or rated - its just stupid. They also threatend to Sue anyone who watches a copyrighted video on youtube! Thats like clicking on a Video of South Park - They Sue you!

If you havnt seen it, Please watch this Video:

(Youtube VS You

Edited by Butters!

My guess is that they remove the sound files of audio that the user has not given credit to the respective owner. Such as I listen to a song almost everyday that has the song credited to Polydor and yet it still works. If you simply do that then maybe they won't mute the audio. Just to confirm, here's a song that has not been muted but have credited the original owner:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZfbvQFfuo&...re=channel_page

I highly doubt that Youtube will fare well from this but they have to do it, like a few have said, Youtube is not above the law, they have to obey like us when we're doing regular activities. We all have been involved in some illegal activity to do with music, more than once. Youtube obviously wants to cut down on the illegal activity performed by some certain members on there.

If you want to watch music videos or listen to music then why not use dizzler or something. That's what I use at school because Youtube and this site is blocked by the school server.

My guess is that they remove the sound files of audio that the user has not given credit to the respective owner. Such as I listen to a song almost everyday that has the song credited to Polydor and yet it still works. If you simply do that then maybe they won't mute the audio. Just to confirm, here's a song that has not been muted but have credited the original owner:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZfbvQFfuo&...re=channel_page

I will try that on my video, as it also belongs to UMG..

EDIT!

A Few Guiding Principles

• It doesn't matter how long or short the clip is, or exactly how it got to YouTube. If you taped it off cable, videotaped your TV screen, or downloaded it from some other website, it is still copyrighted, and requires the copyright owner's permission to distribute.
  • It doesn't matter whether or not you give credit to the owner/author/songwriter—it is still copyrighted.
  • It doesn't matter that you are not selling the video for money—it is still copyrighted.
  • It doesn't matter whether or not the video contains a copyright notice—it is still copyrighted.
  • It doesn't matter whether other similar videos appear on our site—it is still copyrighted.
  • It doesn't matter if you created a video made of short clips of copyrighted content—even though you edited it together, the content is still copyrighted.

Stupid Fuckers.

Yes Indeed >.<

Edited by azn

[*]It doesn't matter if you created a video made of short clips of copyrighted content—even though you edited it together, the content is still copyrighted.

Even if it's a parody? Baloney! No wonder why one of my fave "THIS IS SPARTAAA!" clips was taken down... It's about time that I'll try to upload stuff to Chris' own media host... :pissedred:

A Few Guiding Principles

[*]It doesn't matter how long or short the clip is, or exactly how it got to YouTube. If you taped it off cable, videotaped your TV screen, or downloaded it from some other website, it is still copyrighted, and requires the copyright owner's permission to distribute.

[*]It doesn't matter whether or not you give credit to the owner/author/songwriter—it is still copyrighted.

[*]It doesn't matter that you are not selling the video for money—it is still copyrighted.

[*]It doesn't matter whether or not the video contains a copyright notice—it is still copyrighted.

[*]It doesn't matter whether other similar videos appear on our site—it is still copyrighted.

[*]It doesn't matter if you created a video made of short clips of copyrighted content—even though you edited it together, the content is still copyrighted.

If that's the case, what the FUCK are we supposed to put on Youtube? Christ, it's gonna get to the point where bloggers can't even have their stereo on when making their videos. Thank God for Veoh and countless other video-sharing sites.