Do I reakky need the Quad-core just to play GTA IV?

GTAsoldier

graph_all_3.gif

I ran the "Can You RUN It" thing to scan my computer to see if I could play GTA IV on it. It shows I got all the recommended requirements EXCEPT the Intel Quad-Core, and it can't hit the recommended mark. It's forced to stay on the minimum mark. Do I really need that shit? And if I don't, which settings in do you recommend me to set up? (If I get a response like "turn all video/draw distance/etc. to VERY LOW, I'll be so mad.)

I'm running GTA IV on this system:

AMD X2 6000+ 3.1GHz

3GB RAM

ATi 3850 512mb

I'd say that your system is about equal with that, and I can run the game fine at 1600x1200 with all settings on medium/high. I don't get any stuttering or framerate issues at all and the game looks beautiful. In fact, even when I was running the same system with just a 2.1GHz AMD X2 the game still ran pretty well. So yeah, I'd say that you're fine. A quad core can't make that much difference.

AMD X2 6000+ 3.1GHz

3GB RAM

ATi 3850 512mb

I'd say that your system is about equal with that, and I can run the game fine at 1600x1200 with all settings on medium/high. I don't get any stuttering or framerate issues at all and the game looks beautiful. In fact, even when I was running the same system with just a 2.1GHz AMD X2 the game still ran pretty well. So yeah, I'd say that you're fine. A quad core can't make that much difference.

Lucky. What's your OS? And if it's Vista, 64bit or 32bit?

AMD X2 6000+ 3.1GHz

3GB RAM

ATi 3850 512mb

I'm running Vista 32bit, hence the 3GB RAM. I actually have 4GB in my computer, but I don't want to reinstall windows now that I have everything working.

The game runs silky-smooth at these settings:

GTAIVsettings.jpg

Obviously I get the pixellated shadows and occasional blank textures in the distance, but that's not really an issue.

Edited by Davesta

AMD X2 6000+ 3.1GHz

3GB RAM

ATi 3850 512mb

I'm running Vista 32bit, hence the 3GB RAM. I actually have 4GB in my computer, but I don't want to reinstall windows now that I have everything working.

GTAIVsettings.jpg

Obviously I get the pixellated shadows and occasional blank textures in the distance, but that's not really an issue.

It actually looks really nice. And Vista on 32 bit only supports up to 3GB of memory.

It actually looks really nice. And Vista on 32 bit only supports up to 3GB of memory.

Yeah I was surprised that it ran as well as it did when I built my new PC, considering neither my processor nor graphics card meet the 'reccommended' requirements.

I know that Vista 32 only supports 3GB RAM. I have 4GB in my computer, buy Windows only recognises 3GB. I'm not that bothered though, since I can play every game I own on max settings anyway (with the exception of GTA IV, which I'm pretty happy with as it is).

Edited by Davesta

Is the auto-configure option worth to try? Because I'm really unsure how to set these options when GTA IV runs on minimum specs (the reason that is, I don't want the game look shitty on my PC [e.g. blurry/empty-modeled/pixellated graphics, choppy framerate, etc.])

Set your game to the settings in my screenshot - you've got a pretty similar rig to me, so it should work well. I think your card is slightly better than mine though, so you might be able to get away with having a few settings slightly higher.

AMD X2 6000+ 3.1GHz

3GB RAM

ATi 3850 512mb

GTAIVsettings.jpg

Is GTAIV actually coded as a 64-bit program?