Google Drive

Spaz The Great

Sounds cool, if it was succesful it would really help. My laptop has stopped working and there are a lot of files I need off of it! So this would appeal to me.

EDIT: I have that mouse :)

Well, it wouldn't help with those files considering how you can't access them. But it would, however, help prevent this issue in the future.

However.... This means your files are no longer private..... I could see storing things that aren't that important and just clogging up your HDD.... But no personal files.

Sounds cool, if it was succesful it would really help. My laptop has stopped working and there are a lot of files I need off of it! So this would appeal to me.

EDIT: I have that mouse :)

Well, it wouldn't help with those files considering how you can't access them. But it would, however, help prevent this issue in the future.

However.... This means your files are no longer private..... I could see storing things that aren't that important and just clogging up your HDD.... But no personal files.

Yeah I know it wouldn't help me now but basically I'm just saying that I'm too lazy to back-up everything all the time.

Wouldn't we be able to choose which folders are stored onto the server? And couldn't this huge website with our files be password protected? If it was I would just put on work which I need to transfer to school and things which I may need to access on other computers e.g: music.

This is shit. It's like using a public telephone except you're using a public machine that people can look over your shoulder at. Sometimes I rely on sites like Photobucket and such however my ENTIRE hard drive data on a Google server is like giving away part of my life to some people I don't even know or trust.

hmmm no. lol.

this seems like a OK idea...but theres no way I would do that.

tell me, what happens when you got no internet (eg when it just doesnt want to work). your files are gone. you cant do anything. its a bit stupid.

Does it matter that Google can be subpoenaed at any time to hand over all your data to the American government?"
lol im screwed there is wayy too much illegal stuff on my computer

You're not an American though. So unless you hosted your GDrive on one of their American servers you'd be fine. With a service like this, it would be so retarded to host in another country (for speed and bandwidth reasons) that they'd pretty much be forced to offer more local storage options.

That said, most countries still have shit Internet, only certain European and Asian countries currently have the feasibility to use such a services. I have approximately 1.5TB of data on my hard drives, on my 8MB connection at home (1.3MB upload) which is the standard for the UK right now and actually above average since Cable isn't popular here, it would take me 15728640 seconds, or 4369 hours to upload it all. That's over 182 days. Over half a year.

Shit.

This idea just sounds retarded, who would want their private files to be on the internet? I'm not down with this idea. I prefer to keep my data stored in a perfect place where nobody can access them. Google obviously don't give a shit about those who don't want to keep their private files safe, so why bother with this idea especially when some people could be at potential risk. And yes, Hard drives are turning out to be cheap where I live, I might pick up another 500GB hard drive when my current hard drive gets full.