4 GB USB Pen Issue

NSanityHD

Hey all.

I have a slight problem with my USB memory pen. It is a 4GB busbi stick and when I put it into my USB plug it says it only has 1 GB of it's size. I formatted it for Linux and Back | Track 3 (Linux was 3 GB and BT3 was 1 GB). I just reformat my USB and wiped Linux and Back | Track 3 from it and it still says It's total size is 1 GB. How can I change it back to a 4 GB pen? I cannot get it to be 4GB again. When I brought it from Argos it was 4GB, after I put Linux and BT3 it was 1GB total size.

How can I make It's total size back to 4 GB? Thanks,

Kel.

yeah either you got ripped off or...

when you formatted it for linux, would it have been in the linux file system (HFS or whatever). maybe not, because then you wouldnt be able to read it on windows.

hmm...i'd be going back to where you bought it and tell them the problem. they'll probably replace it.

when you formatted it for linux, would it have been in the linux file system (HFS or whatever). maybe not, because then you wouldnt be able to read it on windows.

hmm...i'd be going back to where you bought it and tell them the problem. they'll probably replace it.

Some distros allow mounting/formatting with other file systems, such as Linux Mint...

Some distros allow mounting/formatting with other file systems, such as Linux Mint...

yeah i was just thinking of that as a possibility. but in such case, it'd be totally unreadable.

yeah i was just thinking of that as a possibility. but in such case, it'd be totally unreadable.

Unless somehow 3GB of it was formatted in one file system, but the other 1GB wasn't touched?

Unless somehow 3GB of it was formatted in one file system, but the other 1GB wasn't touched?

That's exactly what might have happened. When I first put on Back | Track 3 I had to delete 3 partitions using Linux's Terminal Konsole and create 3 partitions again. But I clicked format on windows so it should have went back to 4 GB. :/ When I first got it, it was 4GB. I haven't been ripped off or anything, I just have a problem with this 1GB thing.

Edited by Kel-F

Yes you can have more than one file system on a drive. You simply create more than one partition.

Delete all the partitions on the drive, and add ONE that is as big as it will allow.

Also make sure you're not using a file system that has a maximum size of 1GB or anything. I know FAT32 has a maximum filesize of 4gb, so it's possible that other FSs have total limits.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes you can have more than one file system on a drive. You simply create more than one partition.

Delete all the partitions on the drive, and add ONE that is as big as it will allow.

Also make sure you're not using a file system that has a maximum size of 1GB or anything. I know FAT32 has a maximum filesize of 4gb, so it's possible that other FSs have total limits.

Yeah, just delete every partition in every OS, and then create a 4GB one in Windows. Simple, it should work.

And yes also, the FAT File System, due to a limited amount of Memory Addresses, (only so many combinations with so many digits) cannot possibly exceed 2GB in size. Similar to the concept of how 32-bit OS's cannot use over 3.2GB RAM.