My New Computer

_Ray

I'm considering building a new computer, or just ordering one from Dell with my 25% off coupon.

Unfortunatly, the Motherboard is the one computer part that I don't know a lot about.

My budget is $2,000.

I can't decide which motherboard to get.

I'm not exactly sure about all the features I need, other than:

8 USB Ports

10/1000 Ethernet

PS/2 Keyboard Connection (I could get a new USB Keyboard if needed)

Onboard Sound (Preferrably 5.1 or 7.1 Channel Audio)

CPU Frequency, CPU Voltage, RAM Frequency, and GPU Frequency/ Voltage(?) Control

I've decided everything else, so if you need any info on my chosen video card, processor, etc., let me know.

I am likely to get a 500 Watt power supply, but 600 would be OK if it's needed.

Also, I would prefer a Gigabyte motherboard.

Edited by raybob95

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2k and you can build a super computer!

Well, first off, get your specs:

Case:

CPU:

Motherboard:

RAM:

GPU:

DVD-RW:

HDD:

Cooling:

PSU: (Power Supply Unit)

Then, figure out the prices by looking around on the internet, or go to http://www.tigerdirect.com - I'm pretty sure they have everything you need.

My main reasons I'm even considering Dell is taht my Dad doesn't want the hassle, plus it would cost more to get the software, keyboard, multi-media reader, operating system, etc. that we need.

I've already decided most of what I need, and I'm probably gonna go Newegg.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83 GHz, 45 nm tech, 4 cores, 1333 FSB, 12 MB Cache)

RAM: 8 GB DDR2 Quad Channel @ 800 MHz

GPU: Probably NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512 MB (like Spaz said, the other GPU they told me about hasn't gotten such good ratings.)

Optical Drive: BD-RE/ HD-DVD ROM Drive

HDD: Likely a 750GB SATA 7200RPM Drive, plus my current 80GB IDE Drive if it's compatible

OSS: Windows Vista SP1 64-bit, or Windows 7 if it comes out within the next year.

I still have to figure out my Power Supply and Motherboard, etc.

Also, I'd probably use the fans in my computer now, if they fit, use same power plug, etc.

And like I said, I'd prefer Onboard 5.1/ 7.1 Sound, it's cheaper and I don't need better, my speakers suck ass.

But if I couldn't find a good enough Onboard Sound Board, I could get a cheaper Sound Blaster Audigy, etc.

Edited by raybob95

For $2000 you could go for a GTX 285 or 4850X2.

Are they NVIDIA?

Because I don't want anything over 512 MB or above the GeForce line.

I'm accepting other brands if they seem better for the price, but nothing above the NVIDIA GeForce.

If I get NVIDIA, the 9800GT will be the one I get.

Edited by raybob95

Are they NVIDIA?

I'm accepting other brands if they seem better for the price, but nothing above the NVIDIA GeForce.

Wtf is the Geforce line? Why are you getting such a low ended graphics card with such a budget? 12g of ram is crazy, not like 8g won't already make you cry. You might as well spend more on the GPU. At least go with the 512mb 4850/4870 (Radeon). 9800GT is falling behind now.

Does your budget include the moniter and other accessories?

Are they NVIDIA?

Wtf is the Geforce line? Why are you getting such a low ended graphics card with such a budget? 12g of ram is crazy, not like 8g won't already make you cry. You might as well spend more on the GPU. At least go with the 512mb 4850/4870 (Radeon). 9800GT is falling behind now.

Does your budget include the moniter and other accessories?

YES

I need RAM becuase I do a ton of multitasking, and want a PC that will last a while.

But you're right, 8 is enough, ecspecially quad channel.

I don't need a high-end card because I don't do high-end of gaming.

The 9800GT is enough.

In fact, I was gonna get a 256MB Radeon 3650, but decided I may need more.

Edited by raybob95

Case: Thermaltake ArmorPlus ESA VH6001BWS

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR3

Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58

Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1333

HDD: Western Digital WD20EADS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W

Monitor: Samsung 2433BW 24" 5ms LCD

That setup will be a little over budget but you could always get a cheaper HDD or something. Or get a normal 4870.

Case: Thermaltake ArmorPlus ESA VH6001BWS

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR3

Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58

Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1333

HDD: Western Digital WD20EADS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W

Monitor: Samsung 2433BW 24" 5ms LCD

That setup will be a little over budget but you could always get a cheaper HDD or something. Or get a normal 4870.

Guys, all I'm asking is power supply and motherboard, according to the features I need, and components I already decided. ALL ELSE I ALREADY DECIDED.

I can most likely use the case I have.

I don't know everything that's related to the board, so ask me everything I need in the board, and then tell me what I should get.

Edited by raybob95

My main reasons I'm even considering Dell is taht my Dad doesn't want the hassle, plus it would cost more to get the software, keyboard, multi-media reader, operating system, etc. that we need.

Dude, with a 2k limit, those are not a problem((keyboards cost 15-30 dollars.....)).... Besides, if you're considering a prebuilt, go Acer. Acer is pretty good shit((I bought one and scrapped parts from my old PC)). Dell blows....

For almost $400????????

Yeah, no.

The Cards I'm talking about are under $150.

I'm also considering 12GB of RAM, depending on how the prices go over the next year. (I'm a major multitasker)

Wait wait wait wait..... You won't accept anything about the GeForce line.... But you want 12GBs of RAM? Are you going to be running Windows? Because Windows won't recognize 12GBs of RAM. And you'd need a pretty good motherboard... I've never had more than 4 RAM slots. Even putting in 2GB sticks each that's only 8GBs.

OK, I think I got it all together. I need a motherboard with: (Preferably Gigabyte, but it doesn't have to be)

8 USB 2.1 Ports

Firewire Connection (If possible)

Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet

Supports an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Processor (Quad Core, 12MB L2 Cache, 2.83 MHz, 1333 FSB)

Supports 4 x 2 GB (Quad Channel?) DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz

Supports NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB Card

Integrated 7.1 Channel HD Audio

Supports 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Supports a 750GB SATA Hard Drive

Supports an 80GB IDE Hard Drive

Supports a 5.25" SATA BD-RE/ HD DVD-ROM Drive

Can Modify CPU/RAM Frequency/Voltage

PS/2 Keyboard Connection

Also please help me decide which case/ PSU I should get to match all of this.

I'm not sure I got everything down, but it should be enough.

For the PSU, an OCZ StealthXtream 600w should suffice and it's pretty cheap now as well. For the case, you could get a Antec 902 as it's about $160 on Newegg right now or if you want to go cheaper the Antec 900 should work brilliantly with that setup. For the motherboard, I'd recommend this. Has pretty much everything you need.

For the PSU, an OCZ StealthXtream 600w should suffice and it's pretty cheap now as well. For the case, you could get a Antec 902 as it's about $160 on Newegg right now or if you want to go cheaper the Antec 900 should work brilliantly with that setup. For the motherboard, I'd recommend this. Has pretty much everything you need.

Thanks! That's the best motherboard I've found yet, and pretty cheap too! And that case is fucking awesome, both style and functionality!!

However, it says DDR2 1333 memory. Would DDR2 1066 work? But 16GB Max Fucking Memory??? Dude, lol, that's awesome, easy to upgrade later.

Also, I'm assuming it supports a 5.25" SATA BD-RE Drive?

Awesome it has an IDE Port!!! But does it have an IDE Power Connector......? Adaptor? Does it have firewire? It appears to be a good board, and it'll probably work great, just concerned about the memory compatibility, but I can probably find another compatible selection if it's not already.

Unrelated to the board, PSU, etc., I've heard that the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (I plan to get it) has a horrible heatsink. Is this true, and if it is what heatsink should I get?

Out of curiosity, what is S/PDIF Out? And what is IEEE 1394a?

I'm assuming the 6 audio outports are the 1/8 inch stereo type correct?

And are you absolutely sure that every single thing I've selected is 100% compatible?

And I hope this stuff stays cheap, I probably won't be buying parts and building until early this summer.....

LAST THOUGHT, I'm having some trouble find the RAM I need..... can someone give me a link to 8GB DDR2 1333 Dual-Channel SDRAM (4x2GB)

Actually, scrap that, I can just buy 2 sets of these: (???????) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227298

Possibly is there a motherboard that's EXACTLY the same, but does DDR3 1333 RAM, instead of just DDR2 1333? And a Power Supply that's exactly the same but has IDE Power would be nice.... (I can just buy an adapter, no big deal.)

EDIT: I've modified my build to a 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT, because on NewEgg, it's only $30 more expensive!!!!! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133243

Edited by raybob95

1. DDR2 1333 is just the max clock for RAM so your DDR2 1066 will work.

2. The 902 has support for up to 3 5.25" drives so your BD-RE drive should fit in no problem.

3. Most new mobos come with a few extras so an IDE power connector should be included.

4. If those remarks about the heatsink are true, look up some on Newegg and see which would be best for your needs.

5. This is S/PDIF. This is IEEE 1394a.

6. Yes

7. Well I'm not entirely sure, you might want to check your list to see if the mobo is compatible with it but I'm guessing it should be.

8. DDR3 has no tangible advances YET but in the future, definitely look into it. There's no point right now unless you're going with a Core i7.

9. I could try looking for a PSU like that, but I'm too lazy.

1. DDR2 1333 is just the max clock for RAM so your DDR2 1066 will work.

2. The 902 has support for up to 3 5.25" drives so your BD-RE drive should fit in no problem.

3. Most new mobos come with a few extras so an IDE power connector should be included.

4. If those remarks about the heatsink are true, look up some on Newegg and see which would be best for your needs.

5. This is S/PDIF. This is IEEE 1394a.

6. Yes

7. Well I'm not entirely sure, you might want to check your list to see if the mobo is compatible with it but I'm guessing it should be.

8. DDR3 has no tangible advances YET but in the future, definitely look into it. There's no point right now unless you're going with a Core i7.

9. I could try looking for a PSU like that, but I'm too lazy.

Thank you very much, that's all exactly what I need.

Your on a GTA forum, start by looking at max specs for GTA4. If you have the $$$ then go for RAM & video RAM.

Consider what specs for future games will look like so you're not looking to upgrade in six months.

I don't do a ton of gaming, other than possibly Flight Simulator and GTAIV.

I just wanted a PC that can multitask well and will be able to still run well and run new programs 4 years from now.

And from the looks of this build, I think I'll have that.

Thanks Guys!

And P.S., I did. i'm getting 8GB 1033 RAM, and a 1GB NVIDIA 9800GT.

Edited by raybob95

So many big numbers, sounds like a hell of a computer. Hope it all works!

Remember, if it doesn't turn on, check the plug. (GTA fans should know what I'm talking about!)

Can someone give me a link to the 902 on Newegg?

I can't find it.

What are the differences and prices of the 900 and 902?

Also, I'm assuming that everything can run 64-bit Vista, correct?

Edited by raybob95

Antec Nine Hundred Two and Antec Nine Hundred. The price difference is only $50 but the 902 has cable managment and dust filters.

Thanks!

Do 3.5" to 5.25" drive bay adapters work with Floppy drives too? Because neither of those cases have 3.5" External Drive bays.

Either that, or do you know of a 5.25" Floppy and Multi Media Card Reader?

And Sorry, last question, but would for the NVIDIA 9800GT 1GB Card, would SPARKLE or PNY be better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

Edited by raybob95