10-year old boy killed on campus

Huckleberry Pie

A pupil of Ateneo de Manila Grade School (AGS) died Tuesday after being pinned in between two vehicles inside the school campus.

Amiel Alcantara, 10, a Grade 4 pupil at the school, was on his way to their family vehicle along with siblings Jana and Javier, nanny Tata Suarez, their driver Khan Nyugen Alcasabas and a friend of Javier around 3:45 p.m. when a Toyota Hi-Ace van suddenly lurched towards a Honda CRV and another vehicle.

Alcantara was found underneath the two vehicles. He was hurriedly pulled out and rushed to New Era Hospital by another parent, Alcasabas, and Maria Teresa Torres, the driver of the van.

Alcantara died at the hospital at around 5 p.m. after suffering from head injuries.

Suarez meanwhile suffered fractures in her shins and ankles and was taken to the school infirmary for treatment.

The Alcantaras formally filed a complaint against Torres, a parent of a fellow Grade 4 pupil, who was also waiting for her child at the time of the incident.

Prior to the incident, Torres' driver alighted from their van, after which she took over the wheel to drive it forwards. An official statement from Ateneo de Manila University said that according to her however, the van "accelerated uncontrollably" and hit the victims and the cars.

The Torres family declined to be interviewed.

The school administration meanwhile assured that there will be a "proper and thorough" investigation of the matter.

"The Ateneo assures the community that a proper and thorough investigation of the incident has been launched, and that counseling assistance is being provided to the affected families and students," the statement said.

"Amiel, son of [Jose] ‘Pepe’ Alcantara, was a valiant and responsible Boy Scout and a friend to many students," the statement said.

"Masses and prayers are also being offered all over campus for the repose of the soul of Amiel, whose remains lie in state at the Chapel of the Holy Guardian Angels at the Ateneo Grade School. As a final tribute to Amiel, the AGS Boy Scouts will forego their scheduled pass in review tomorrow and instead hold a mass for their fellow scout," the statement added.

What do you guys think about this? Should the woman who rammed the boy be charged with vehicular manslaughter, or not (since she stated that she stepped on the accelerator by accident)?

i just saw this on news, her attorney insists that it was unintentional... but i think she still needs to face the consequences.

After all, vehicular manslaughter, whether intentional or not, is a serious criminal offense; you're in charge of the vehicle, and even though you hit the gas on impulse, you're still responsible for the safety of you, your passengers, as well as the peds surrounding you.

I guess it's about time that stricter driving laws should be implemented; I've heard too much about roadkill and totaled vehicles here in the Philippines...

After all, vehicular manslaughter, whether intentional or not, is a serious criminal offense; you're in charge of the vehicle, and even though you hit the gas on impulse, you're still responsible for the safety of you, your passengers, as well as the peds surrounding you.

Couldn't agree more. She needs to face consequences other than the stigma of having killed a child. She took away his life, and a part of his families' lives. That's inexcusable.

Couldn't agree more. She needs to face consequences other than the stigma of having killed a child. She took away his life, and a part of his families' lives. That's inexcusable.

Yeah, and she should go to jail for at least 5 years in my opinion.

After all, you drove the vehicle, and you took some innocent kid's life after ramming him, even if you didn't mean to. You should've been defensive on operating a motor vehicle, not just blitz around the street like you would in GTA...

Yeah, and she should go to jail for at least 5 years in my opinion.
I say give that bitch life, she just took someones life so they should take hers.

Agreed on both of you...

People drive crazily nowadays, it seems that drivers appear to be getting worse and worse. This is a perfect example of why I'd prefer to stay in the house all day rather than going on. This poor kid would have been alive today if this woman could drive properly and because she cannot drive, she killed someone and inevitably has to face the consequences.

I was almost knocked down by someone who couldn't see out of the back window, it's the most simplest thing to do, there was nothing there and I was walking past his drive-way when he started to reverse. I felt like kicking him.

That poor kid. The woman deserves a long time in jail.

I say give that bitch life, she just took someones life so they should take hers.

Not only that but she took a 10 year old's life which in my view is rather appalling.

People drive crazily nowadays, it seems that drivers appear to be getting worse and worse. This is a perfect example of why I'd prefer to stay in the house all day rather than going on. This poor kid would have been alive today if this woman could drive properly and because she cannot drive, she killed someone and inevitably has to face the consequences.

I was almost knocked down by someone who couldn't see out of the back window, it's the most simplest thing to do, there was nothing there and I was walking past his drive-way when he started to reverse. I felt like kicking him.

That poor kid. The woman deserves a long time in jail.

Not only that but she took a 10 year old's life which in my view is rather appalling.

Yeah; I'll guess that woman might spend a long time behind bars if she was proven to be responsible...

All you people bitching about "terrible drivers" and "crazy drivers" are just fucking ridiculous. She wasn't DRIVING at the time, wasn't she IDLING? You guys are making it sound like she was flying down the road like a maniac and hit the kid. Especially considering how most of you do not drive, and therefore do not know what it is like to control a motor vehicle.

I was going to say something like that, but I thought I'd get flamed.

But yeah, I don't think she should get life for it. If she had intended to knock him over, then that's different, but imagine how she must feel, after killing a kid by accident, you don't wanna make someone feel worse than that really, maybe a couple of years for her to understand what she's done, then have her license taken away or made to do a course on driving safely.

Edited by Twisted

Off topic: *A man walks in to this thread chatroom carrying a syringe and a chart* Umm you guys know where i can find a ..... Prisoner ready for Lethal injection *reads chart* Oh yeah *Walks off in to a room* .... *Bloodcurling scream is heard*

*Gunshot* Now since that bitch that killed that kid is dead let's party!

On topic:I think she should recive a death sentence

Which would you prefer for her

Electric chair: No votes

Gased: No votes

Lethal Injection: No Votes

Tortured: No Votes

Hanged: No Votes

Decapitation: No votes

Firing Squad: No votes

Edited by Bar27262

Off topic: *A man walks in to this thread chatroom carrying a syringe and a chart* Umm you guys know where i can find a ..... Prisoner ready for Lethal injection *reads chart* Oh yeah *Walks off in to a room* .... *Bloodcurling scream is heard*

Uh, I feel pity for the woman, but street justice ala-GTA IV perhaps? Ram the woman and let Euphoria physics kick in?

ahhh my ****ing god this sickens me, make the bitch suffer, 1 vote on tortured, she took a 10 year olds life away. She wont be able to growe up an old man **** you maria