Are YOU An Artist?

The graphic art programs my school offered were ridiculous. She pretty much just taught us basic tutorials that come with photoshop. I had a bad habit of getting bored and working ahead, bitch would walk over and turn of my computer. She would always tell me if I didn't want to do it her way then don't bother. I walked out of class and only showed up when something was due. Still got an A :innocent:

They are very good YJ. I'm usless at drawing people, I can only draw scenery and animals.

I'm the only one in my family who paints and makes models really, my Mum enjoys making models with me (we made a castle witha peasent village) but otherwise I am the only one who like to draw and paint.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sortof an artist, but I only draw on paper and I have no scanner. I also do photoshop edits on the computer, but thats not really art.

EDIT: But the cool thing is, I never use references, only from either memory or pure creativity. References and tracing aren't really creative at all.

Edited by tilly

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sortof an artist, but I only draw on paper and I have no scanner. I also do photoshop edits on the computer, but thats not really art.

EDIT: But the cool thing is, I never use references, only from either memory or pure creativity. References and tracing aren't really creative at all.

I hate it when people act as if something from memory is better than anything.

I've done drawings from both memory and from refs. Drawing in general takes talent. There are a lot of people who can't draw as good as I can and a lot who can draw better. If drawing were that easy, people would have no problem being amazing artists. Some of my drawings are fairly easy but I can guarantee you that a lot of people can't do it.

Whether you do it from memory or using a ref, it doesn't matter. It's talent and skill that matter. Once you get good at drawing using a ref, it makes using your memory or your own imagination to draw something easier.

The way you worded it was as if people who use memory or their own imagination are better and I think that's BS. Anyone who can draw has a talent and worked hard to get good. Comments like that are more of a put down.

If you are drawing from memory you had to have a reference at some point in time. Just because it's not in front of you doesn't mean you are not using it. Besides having a reference just insures better accuracy, so you don't accidentally leave out details. It still takes just as much skill to draw the damn thing.

Don't get me wrong, drawing from memory is a great skill, but the only time I have seen it accomplished well is after in depth studies of the object before hand.