Happy Birthday Me!

Slyde

This is sort of a rant but also made for discussion since it is probably only what i think so it should not go into "website suggestions and problems".

This is probably only me but, i get sort of irritated by the all the happy birthday threads there are. Don't get me wrong, no offense to the birthday guy. It's just that i think it is sort of pointless and that there are just too many though if you post a bday about someone, they have to do it for everyone else. Birthday threads are really lame unless they themselves posted it about something really cool that they did, otherwise its just a lame excuse for a topic. Most of the replies are just "Happy Birthday (insert name). This might not matter though since it seems to be really quiet lately.

My suggestions are to add some sort of happy birthday system where you can drop a comment down easily without a topic being posted about birthdays every..a lot of times.

I dunno though, what do you guys think?

I don't see the problem unless the topic is made outside the fun and off topic subforum.

The fact won't change that good topics will be overthrown by the legion of birthday threads. Besides, none are on fun and off topic atm.

Why not a universal birthday topic. One pinned topic which gets posted in. You can wish yourself and others a Happy Birthday and it wouldn't clutter everything up with a topic for every single member.

A mod or admin will have to constantly update the thread, unless there is some new system that can do this. Zzz making new systems are too complicated.

How about a birthday section in the person's profile?

We should rename The Lounge to "Birthday Topics and other small discussions that happen every 2 months or so"

Why would a mod/admin need to update the topic? It is just a regular topic which has been pinned for any and all to post in. People drop in on birthdays and give there best wishes or rant about not getting what they wanted :P

When I said universal topic, I meant just ONE topic for birthdays. You go into "The official Birthday topic" and post.

Why would a mod/admin need to update the topic? It is just a regular topic which has been pinned for any and all to post in. People drop in on birthdays and give there best wishes or rant about not getting what they wanted :P

When I said universal topic, I meant just ONE topic for birthdays. You go into "The official Birthday topic" and post.

If someone is a day late for giving their happy birthdays, they would have to jump between another guy's birthday and say happy birthday. On top of that, it would be hard to tell who's birthday was when. It would be messy without an actual order of some sort.

Happy Birthday!!!

Oh, I forgot to make a birthday thread for myself.

Thanks for giving me exhibit A as one of many people who post in these birthday topics just to raise their post counts.

offtopic : I just realized today is Friday the 13th lol.

I swear this discussion has been had before but can't actually find it.

It's a fair point though. I think what we'll do for now is just move them all to fun and offtopic so people won't just do it for the post count. I think one of the reasons for not having one big topic is simply because it would get absolutely massive and would be confusing to find which posts were for which member and all that. At least if someone has their own topic then they can talk about anything relevant that happened and also see who actually gives a shit about them - people that don't give a shit can simply skip the topic :P

Chris is right. Just make sure that if someone posts a topic outside of the off-topic section to correct them and to move it there. Hopefully most people will learn from that and will continue to post birthday topics in the off-topic section.

If not, then it's not really that big of a concern, is it?

Edited by Mpilk901