World's Largest Picture

JustADummy

This is a tiny version of a 16,000 by 12,000 pixel Hubble image of M101, also known as the Pinwheel Galaxy, a “grand design” galaxy with full, intricately detailed spiral arms. Read more about it here, or go right to the download page here. Be forewarned: the full-size graphic is about 455 megabytes! Other variations of the picture are also available, such as close-ups of other galaxies clearly visible in the background. If you have a large monitor (maybe a 30″ LCD screen?) this is just the thing. All it needs is a small label on the bottom, “Objects may be larger than they appear.”

Source: http://stevespeeves.wordpress.com/2006/02/...ver-if-you-can/

Image: http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/html/heic0602a.html

Downloaded it, massive size but very cool.

Holy shit 445mb... downloading now.

I just tried to open it the second time (Knew about this long ago) and it doesn't open... It just gives me a fucked image and when I open Paint it says that there's no memory or resources to open it.

You can open TIF's with PhotoShop, I'm on Linux right now so it comes with default TIF support, downloading now and I'm gonna see if it works.

I just tried to open it the second time (Knew about this long ago) and it doesn't open... It just gives me a fucked image and when I open Paint it says that there's no memory or resources to open it.

I'd doubt Paint would be the best option to open a 400MB+ tiff....

Bump.

Well this image sucks, I can open it in photoshop but I can't save it as a PNG or re-size it. It's just too big.

The image doesn't suck, your computer sucks. It isn't a picture that is meant for you to play with in Photoshop, not every picture is meant for such. Just download one of the smaller ones.