"Chemical, or Natural?"

Huckleberry Pie

So I came across a TV commercial about a herbal cough medication, and they made claims about the apparent consequences of Robitussin and other syrups. It may damage your liver and bog your system; however, the advert seemed to encourage chemophobia on noobs. They seem to give an impression that you give up all things "chemical" in favour of "natural" products, but the fact is everything you see, smell and hear, is chemical, even water.

Proof:

All substantiated objects in nature, all things you can touch and hold, are composed of chemicals. Numerous specific obviously innocuous and important thing such as water are themselves chemicals. Furthermore, the human body, and all of nature, acts with chemistry. See biotechnology or genetics Also, things which are "natural" are not necessarily better. Many plants, such as Atropa belladonna, while completely "natural", are deadly poisonous to man. The term "natural" is a philosophical term with almost no specific meaning. Using the term "natural" is not exclusive or even contradictory with calling something "chemical".

Any more and I'll sue the pharmaceutical company for this... :pissedred:

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

Did they actually say medicine involving chemicals are bad?

Chemical = "Chemically altered"

Natural = "Naturally created"

When it comes to products, I think that's what those words basically mean.

Well, for one thing, they did give a negative impression about chemicals...

Ok, your interpretation of what they said is one thing, but depending on what they actually said could make a difference...not much of a difference though because those people could say whatever they want...you can't do shit.

Have you ever seen an infomercial? Have you ever bought anything from them? If you answered yes to both of those, then there's over a 60% chance that one of the things the person selling the product said wasn't true about the product.

Besides, they'd be talking about other products. They could make up as much shit as they want about other products and if someone feels like believing them...well that's their fault.

Edited by Harwood Butcher

Did they actually say medicine involving chemicals are bad?

Chemical = "Chemically altered"

Natural = "Naturally created"

When it comes to products, I think that's what those words basically mean.

yeah i guess they mean naturally occurring or whatever.

like hb said, its a tv commercial they do whatever to sell their product.

Ok, your interpretation of what they said is one thing, but depending on what they actually said could make a difference...not much of a difference though because those people could say whatever they want...you can't do shit.

Have you ever seen an infomercial? Have you ever bought anything from them? If you answered yes to both of those, then there's over a 60% chance that one of the things the person selling the product said wasn't true about the product.

Besides, they'd be talking about other products. They could make up as much shit as they want about other products and if someone feels like believing them...well that's their fault.

My dad once bought a bottle of Dura Lube from a TV shopping network; dunno if it actually worked (although as far as I know my dad said that it didn't make much of a difference).

Well, yeah, most things in this world have a chemical composition. Just because something is "natural", doesn't mean it's good for you.

However, the active ingredient in Robitussin is dextromethorphan, which in higher doses is a hallucinogen, and from what I hear HIGHLY addictive. So yeah. They do have one thing half right. But as long as you take it according to the directions, and only when you need it, you'll be just fine.

Well, yeah, most things in this world have a chemical composition. Just because something is "natural", doesn't mean it's good for you.

However, the active ingredient in Robitussin is dextromethorphan, which in higher doses is a hallucinogen, and from what I hear HIGHLY addictive. So yeah. They do have one thing half right. But as long as you take it according to the directions, and only when you need it, you'll be just fine.

Which explains why some Robi variants require the person who buys the said medication to present a valid ID or a prescription letter before they can buy a bottle or two. I've seen cases of street kids and hobos getting high on Robi...

Which explains why some Robi variants require the person who buys the said medication to present a valid ID or a prescription letter before they can buy a bottle or two. I've seen cases of street kids and hobos getting high on Robi...

Robotrippin'. And "high" only half describes it. DXM is a pretty good drug, however, we're probably going to see it actually taken off the shelves, because of people abusing it((admittedly, I've been considering trying triple c's)). Just like Sudafed is planning on replacing the pseudoephedrine because people are using it as a base to produce meth. All of our good shit is being ruined by druggies. We'll probably eventually lose dxm, pseudoephedrine, dyphenhydramine, and probably a few others.

Robotrippin'. And "high" only half describes it. DXM is a pretty good drug, however, we're probably going to see it actually taken off the shelves, because of people abusing it((admittedly, I've been considering trying triple c's)). Just like Sudafed is planning on replacing the pseudoephedrine because people are using it as a base to produce meth. All of our good s**t is being ruined by druggies. We'll probably eventually lose dxm, pseudoephedrine, dyphenhydramine, and probably a few others.

You're right... I've heard of a case when some certain medication (forgot the name, though) was once marketed as legit, but were banned after some kids who cut the tabs to size and huff it...