OnLive

EvoLuTioN

What do you guys think about the OnLive service? For who haven't heard about it, Its a new service unveiled at GDC 09 yesterday. This service basically streams the Video/Audio content of the games from the OnLive servers and databases instead of playing it of the Console/Pc hard drive or disks. There is no more any need for PC upgrades, etc since all of the work is done on the data centers. It just requires a high speed broadband connection and a tiny console for running it on the Tv.

It is already supported by Atari, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Eidos, Epic Games,THQ, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Games would launch in the same "release window" as retail, says OnLive COO Steve Perlman. "There's no physical media.

It's an all-digital platform. You never need to upgrade your equipment at home.

I like the current way of playing games, its going to be a pain if people have limited net bandwidth/slow speed or No internet at all :/ Maybe a good deal for those with weaker Pc's. The pricing is not yet announced but it will be available in different packages.

Somemore details on EDGE/OnLive

Edited by EvoLuTioN

So I can play GTA IV on a crappy computer and ALL it needs broadband internet? That's pretty cool. ;)

Wow, if that's true, that's pretty cool. But if I have no internet connection, there's no GTA IV for me?

I'd pay for it, just depends how much. :) No words on that yet.

Also, I found that the FAQs clarified many questions.

Edited by NotYouHaha

Yeah this is a little weird...

Imagine how much data this will use... (in Australia and maybe other places, we have download limits :P).

Won't there be lag then ?

This seems like its gonna cost a whole lot.

Where will OnLive be available?

We’ll be launching across the continental US.

How much will this cost?

As we get closer to our launch we will be disclosing more details about pricing and availability.

What kind of Internet connection do I need to use the OnLive Service?

OnLive works over nearly any broadband connection (DSL, cable modem, fiber, or through the LAN at your college or office). For Standard-Definition TV resolution, OnLive needs a 1.5 Mbps connection. For HDTV resolution (720p60), OnLive needs 5 Mbps.

i think my cable is somewhere around 7mbps, thats what i got on speedtest (my isp say its 9mbps).

Edited by WRX22B1998

yeah, because streaming all of this over the Internet in real time is totally possible, right?

This is going to be horrible. People say it will be a breakthrough since one of the men behind it created QuickTime--they're forgetting that QuickTime sucks.

The only real use for QT is YTMND and all that MP3 embedding stuff, and that's it...

Yeah this is a little weird...

Imagine how much data this will use... (in Australia and maybe other places, we have download limits :P).

Won't there be lag then ?

This seems like its gonna cost a whole lot.

Where will OnLive be available?

We’ll be launching across the continental US.

How much will this cost?

As we get closer to our launch we will be disclosing more details about pricing and availability.

What kind of Internet connection do I need to use the OnLive Service?

OnLive works over nearly any broadband connection (DSL, cable modem, fiber, or through the LAN at your college or office). For Standard-Definition TV resolution, OnLive needs a 1.5 Mbps connection. For HDTV resolution (720p60), OnLive needs 5 Mbps.

i think my cable is somewhere around 7mbps, thats what i got on speedtest (my isp say its 9mbps).

The news about Onlive came on my newspaper it said that there won't be any lag which human eyes or brains can understand.....Weird right ?

I kind of think that thats bullcrap. It doesn't make sense if your playing Grand Theft Auto IV on a slow ass computer, just because you have a fast connection. Well the makers of OnLive still have to maintain the service and make sure everything runs smooth. They have to pay their bills while also paying these developers to distribute their games. I think this is just bringing us one step closer to the future of game distribution *shudders* That beloved trip to the local gaming store may be a thought of the past.

I don't know dude, I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Making it suitable quality is impossible. OnLive is the same principle as YouTube; streaming content that you'd otherwise need to have available locally. The problem is that YouTube videos, while convenient, have shitty quality. I'd much rather watch something in 1080P high definition than on YouTube. I know YouTube is starting to show HD videos, but they still lack the quality and gratification local files have. Also I prefer actually owning my games and retaining access to them at all times.

• 1 year later...

The whole concept of having no physical copies of a game doesn't appeal to me. I like to have the option to look at the game case and booklet, and know that my game is safe at all times in the gamebox rather than on a server. Plus it's not going to work in the UK because most people aren't even on 5 Mbps which is the bare minimum requirement, this computer is a maximum of 4 so I have no interest atm.