Modern Warfare 2

The Bossman

Still waiting for my one, it had BETTER arrive today or I'll be sending a furore of angry letters to Tesco and the Royal Mail.

lol rage. australia post is a bit of a joke sometimes too. for example (now i dont know if its the fault of the place i ordered, or auspost) but...i ordered a mobile phone battery, and i payed extra for "express" (next business day). i ordered it i think on a friday, so next business day should be a monday. but it took like almost 2 weeks. so shit.

I'll post my review in about 25 minutes, I'm busy ATM. Suffice to say, it's superb to play. Short round-up, multiplayer amazing, single player not bad, Spec Ops decent, haven't tried co-op on that yet.

EDIT: OK, so, let me get the bad bits out of the way first. I've heard the single player is even shorter than the small COD4 campaign, so that's not very good. The promises made were it'd be the same length. There's no emotional attachment with any of the characters, like there was with Captain Price and Gaz in the first one. From what I've played so far, a lot of it just involves them running ahead of you, shouting a lot, and killing enemies. No real stealth moments where they exchange banter, nothing like that. Last bad point, the American invasion missions are tedious at best. The mission 'Wolverines!' is the worst example of this. There's nice scripting for about a 3rd of the level, but after that, there's just a massive space with various buildings and places to take cover behind. It goes something like, defend this area, run to this building, pick something up, run to another building, defend the area, pick up a weapon, destroy the enemies with it, some more cover shooting before re-uniting in one of the same buildings again. Then, escaping via convoy. Hardly interesting gameplay.

So, that's the bad bits out of the way, and there isn't really a lot of them either, to be honest. I'm just nitpicking really, mainly because of the ridiculous hype around the game. I haven't had a real chance with Spec Ops, but from the small handful of missions I played, it looks like a good co-op mode. There's lots of different situations to complete, inclouding a snowmobile race, and stealthily creeping through a snowy jungle, picking off enemies and dogs without being seen or heard. Also, in that same mission, Captain Price gives you words of encouragement like 'nice shot', etc. No idea why he's there, haven't discovered if he's alive in single player either. Don't say, please.

Multiplayer is where the fun lies. The ridiculous amount of customisation you can have, boggles the mind. Titles, Callsigns, Emblems, killstreaks, deathstreaks, weapons, attachments, etc. I've probably played about 6 or 7 different maps in multiplayer so far, and the majority of them are awesome. They're massive maps, but not so big so that you miss out on a lot of the firefights. They tend to take place in smaller areas now, so I suggest you pick a shotgun as your secondary weapon, preferably an automatic one, like I use. Which brings me onto another thing. Instead of pistols as your side arm, you can now have machine pistols and shotguns, as well as pistols. It's amazing, and makes a big difference. It's like you have Overkill as your perk all the time.

You can get attachments for your secondary guns, as well, amazingly. Red Dot Sights, Silencers, other scopes. Loads of stuff. It's not unbalanced with the secondary weapons, which is the best thing. Because everyone can use the 2 weapons, it comes down to skill on the battlefield, and a knowledge of the maps.

I cannot emphasise enough how good this game is. Single player is deeply scripted, of course, but it's stil fun to play, if a little linear. Spec Ops, a worthy addition with lots of potential for good teamplay, and Multiplayer is what it is, the best FPS experience around. This game isn't worth £55, no game is, but get it from a place like Sainsburys or Morrions, where it's under £30 in both shops.

Edited by Bateman.

I hate how so many developers are starting to focus more more on multiplayer and way less on the single player mode.

5 hours for a campaign is just ridiculous, I don't care how great the multiplayer is, if you market a game that's not just a multiplayer experience and then deliver such a small campaign, all in a pricy package, it's just not fair.

Yeah it's a long install. Though not as long as IV :P

@Bateman: I get what you mean about single player, with it being non-linear and some of the missions tedious. I however, still thought it was pretty good. And for me, it took me about the same time to complete as I did CoD4... couldn't really call it shorter or longer to be honest...

Linearity is a flaw in most first person shooters. In MW2 the only non-linear aspects are in the stealth missions where you can choose to kill or not kill certain anonymous henchmen, nothing big at all.

Spec ops is pretty decent, did a couple of the mission solo earlier tonight and they were quite cool missions. Some are actually quite challenging on veteran mode. Will play some co-op tonight probably.

Multiplayer I've only played one TD game so far. Fucking hate the console-style matchmaking system. It fucking sucks. They really need to bring back dedicated servers. The gameplay is fine, mostly, I mean they removed the ability to lean... wtf is up with that? Dedicated servers though would be a massive improvement to the PC version.

Yeah it's a long install. Though not as long as IV :P

@Bateman: I get what you mean about single player, with it being non-linear and some of the missions tedious. I however, still thought it was pretty good. And for me, it took me about the same time to complete as I did CoD4... couldn't really call it shorter or longer to be honest...

Linearity is a flaw in most first person shooters. In MW2 the only non-linear aspects are in the stealth missions where you can choose to kill or not kill certain anonymous henchmen, nothing big at all.

Spec ops is pretty decent, did a couple of the mission solo earlier tonight and they were quite cool missions. Some are actually quite challenging on veteran mode. Will play some co-op tonight probably.

Multiplayer I've only played one TD game so far. Fucking hate the console-style matchmaking system. It fucking sucks. They really need to bring back dedicated servers. The gameplay is fine, mostly, I mean they removed the ability to lean... wtf is up with that? Dedicated servers though would be a massive improvement to the PC version.

Let me clarify, there were about 2 or 3 missions I found linear, that's it. All the others, and I haven't finished the game yet, I'm in the airport yard, have been amazing and designed so perfectly, I just can't fault them. I'm further in the game at this point than I was with COD4, so I actually think it's shorter, which is just pathetic. BIG SPOILERS BELOW:

Still reading? Big spoilers, you know? Anyway. When I discovered that the prisoner you rescue is Price, and how it reintroduces him, I thought it was brilliant. I only recognised him when he had the gun pointed at me. That bit was great, and so was the assault on Makarovs safehouse. That bastard Shepherd, when he kills the both of you, that quite surprised me. So, so far Gaz was killed by the Russians, and Ghost, aka Gaz mark 2, was killed by an American. What next, the British? lol. The defending of the upload was nice and tense, I planted loads of claymores and the bastards still snuck in behind me and shot me up. So, after that, I went prone on the table near the upload. It was perfect, and I could spin around at any angle and take them down. The flashbangs were annoying though. Other missions, I liked the brief space bit, I only just learnt it was Price who launched the nuclear missile, which disrupted the US and the Russians.

The dedicated servers is what usually elevates PC games above console ones, as well as the free DLC. But still, you have to put up with it. Although the petition raised a few eyebrows at IW and Activison, I highly doubt they'll go back and change the matchmaking system. It would be embarrassing.

If you ask me, the story mode seemed longer than MW1. In terms of the acts, they are pretty much at the right lengths, but the gameplay itself was great, I actually enjoyed this story mode more than MW1, had fun. Spec Ops mode is literally fun, it's challenging, even on Regular (I was getting into grips with the game mode first, didn't know what do it exactly), realizing alot of it was mainly based around stealth, reaching for intel, racing etc. Pretty much fun and enjoyable.

Mulitplayer is great, I love the fact they've added callsigns, People know you either as the F.N.G or any others (I'm still a F.N.G although I'm now at level 7).

Multiplayer is great, Spec Ops mode is great, Story mode is great. IW I think did themselves good, and if you finish the game off

(SPOILER ALERT)

You get to see the IW Museum and if you press the button at the desk (Says "DON'T PRESS"), all the living things go berserk and attack you, I was LOL at first, after that I got killed by a guy with the riot shield :P

So yeah, I love this game, Multiplayer is my next aim to get use to, was not that use to MW1 multiplayer since I got it around the time when the UFO hack came in.

Wasn't interested till the lights go out... Can't shut my mo... Wait, what I was saying turned into the trailer music. Twas the song that really got my attention (love it!). Anyway, the trailer looks fun and I just wish I had a PS3 and a big TV like my friend had (HUGE TV + Modern Warfare + PS3 x ONLINE = FUN!). And I really don't give a damn about any of the other Call of Duty's... Since they're all set in the past n stuff. Me like Modern... Anyway, just thought I'd type in between my WiiFit fun, lol.

My main focus is the multiplayer. I'll do the Spec Ops at some point, but I really want to be ranked very highly in multiplayer, mainly for Score and Kills, and have a high kill/death ratio as well. Mine's about 1.50 currently, but it was over 2. It'll fluctuate over time, before settling down.

2 of my friends are ranked in, like, the top 1500 for kills. They got the game about 4 days early. I think my new favourite perks are Sleight of Hand and Bling, both are great, especially the Pro versions. A bit surprising there aren't that many perks, most of the stuff has been moved to Equipment now, but at least Juggern00b and n00bydom have been removed.

MW2 IS AWESOME!!!

Finished SP in 2 hours and something.Haven't started Spec Ops yet.

spoiler ahead.

General Shepherd is a pussy, what a fucking traitor, gotta love the oilrig and the rescue of Cpt. Price mission, but the most fun one was the Cliffhanger one.This game is way awesomer than MW1, only thing i hate is that there are no servers, but meh, i only care about the SP.

So multiplayer isn't actually as bad as I was expecting after all the negative press it got. However, there still are some pretty bad points.

1. Lack of dedicated servers - Half the time the host is some kid with a shitty internet connection and it's laggy as fuck
  2. Player limits - Maximum of 18 players, 12 in most game modes... way to small for a PC game
  3. Map sizes - Some of the maps are way too big for so few players. Quarry, for example, is massive and half the people camp with snipers... so it's impossible to find anyone and everyone else has a shit game because of that. Quarry is fine for twice that amount of players though... Raise the player limit!

Those are the main flaws in my opinion. I can do without mods, being able to lean, and I don't need to use the console... so I can't complain too much about the lack of all those. They should still bring them back though.

The gameplay itself is great though. The amount of customisation for all the weapons, perks, equipment etc. is awesome, way better than CoD4. The challenges too, way more of them. This would be one of the best games ever if they addressed the above issues.

I love how there are so many more points to earn. The challenges you get during the game, like first kill, multi-kill, etc, you can get them every match, potentially, which is superb. Not like COD4, when once you'd completed a challenge, that was it until the next prestige. I'm really pwning everyone so far in this game, I have a K/D of 1.87, which is rising with every match I play, and yesterday I was in the top 62,000 for score, rising about 200,000 places in the process. My absolute favourite weapon is the SCAR assault rifle, with the Bling perk, Stopping Power Pro and Steady Aim Pro, with Red Dot Sight and Silencer as the attachments. I use that almost every match, and it's really hard to play against. I also use the heartbeat Sensor quite a bit too, so that I still have a radar when everyone else is struggling. Again, Heartbeat Sensor and Silencer, or Red Dot Sight and Silencer, 2 best combinations you can have.

I vary with the weapon classes as well, so don't think you can identify me, lol.