Have you been banned on another forum?

Huckleberry Pie

Why do you people bother trying to sign up so many more times after you get banned? Obviously you aren't liked there so what's going to change?

I certainly wouldn't want to sign up again to a site I got banned from.

Yeah, agreed. As what I've said earlier, I got kicked out of a Strawberry Shortcake forum, apparently because they find me annoying; I did make an apology, only to be rejected by the administrator, so I decided to leave them for good. Besides, I find the place a little messed up.

Apart from the Flat Earth Society, no.

The guys there are worse than christians to take any facts given to them.

Although, I got pretty bored and just spammed the fuck out of their general discussion...

...It was incredibly fun. :hurrhurr:

Bro, don't even act like your ban was your fault. FEB'ers logic is so uncomprehendable, it is just sad.

Yeah, I really hate people who can't just accept something. As soon as you tell them what they're saying is just stupid(well thought out mind), they seem to go all insane at you.

Any picture of a round earth is fake apparently, when they don't have any pictures, seems pretty suspicious.

Those people are included in my list of 'the people that aren't required to live anymore'.

That site makes me laugh :hurrhurr:. If I joined that one to argue against them, I'll probably be banned but I'm still enjoying watching others argue to them.

Someone should just make a separate topic for talk about that forum.

Edited by Noru

Yeah, I really hate people who can't just accept something. As soon as you tell them what they're saying is just stupid(well thought out mind), they seem to go all insane at you.

Any picture of a round earth is fake apparently, when they don't have any pictures, seems pretty suspicious.

Those people are included in my list of 'the people that aren't required to live anymore'.

Bold: Exfuckingactly. I know seeing doesn't neccessarily mean it's real or true, but they have absolutely no physical evidence that the Earth is flat.

edit: Oh and Connor, you have an awesome set of lists lmao. I'm adding you to my hilarious cynical heroes list. :P

Edited by Nate10

And I'm not sure why you guys feel the mods over there are unjust. They have to abide by the rules coz they have the admins to answer to. And just recently, the unbanning ability of the mods was taken away for a more transparent moderating. Now, mods can only ban people but only admins can unban someone.
Nice. Just like we did... 3 years ago? After an overhaul of our rules and staffing, we changed everything from a free-for-all banfest into a society where members earned respect and everyone was dealt with fairly. No double standards, no bad days.

I'm really impressed when our staff realise they're having a bad day, or realise they're getting angry at someone, and they step back and hand over to someone else. It's far too easy just to go psycho on someone that's annoying you, but it shows real maturity to admit you're not in the best position and be able to step back. Our staff also have the option to temporarily suspend someone until an Admin is available to deal with the problem fully (whether it be a warning, suspension or ban).

Also, I have 1 reminder and 3 warnings on GTAF and I'm still on the staff team. Beat that, fuckers. :P
Oh that's reassuring! Sounds like they have some good staff. Hiring ex-cons might explain the harshness of the moderators there...
I think most of you guys are just bitter because you got warned/banned for something that you thought was appropriate. But that's not how the internet works, is it?
. Time after time we get members coming here complaining of unfair treatment. It's been happening for years, and there are loads of independent topics about it. That's not just a happy coincidence, that's a steady stream of overzealous moderating.

As for allowing someone to stay given that many warnings, that's equally bad moderating. I don't know what political detail there was to his incident, but he was treated very differently to the average member. And by allowing him to stay, it looks like you allowed a lot of damage to happen. A long-term suspension (eg a month, 3 months) usually does the trick in these situations - which we sometimes do to very active members (eg Connor/Twisted).

I'm curious: do staff have to give a reason to ban or warn someone?

Here we insist on it. Also we (almost) always PM (or email) a member to explain why we are warning/suspending/banning them, explaining exactly what the consequences of that are, and advising them how they can avoid it happening in the future. I find that members appreciate us being open and honest, and quite often we get a sincere apology in reply to that, and it never happens again. But (as with GTA F) if the member is obviously a spam bot, or a banned member that keeps coming back to spam, often we simply don't need to send a PM because the reason is obvious.

Earthbound - I don't think anyone has mentioned an unprovoked ban, but simply a ban being used as a retaliation to any negative comment or even questioning staff.

Spider - No I haven't had any warnings. Only Sky messing around by banning me for a laugh. By "none for a couple of months" I was referring to raybob.

And I'm not sure why you guys feel the mods over there are unjust. They have to abide by the rules coz they have the admins to answer to. And just recently, the unbanning ability of the mods was taken away for a more transparent moderating. Now, mods can only ban people but only admins can unban someone.
Nice. Just like we did... 3 years ago? After an overhaul of our rules and staffing, we changed everything from a free-for-all banfest into a society where members earned respect and everyone was dealt with fairly. No double standards, no bad days.

I'm really impressed when our staff realise they're having a bad day, or realise they're getting angry at someone, and they step back and hand over to someone else. It's far too easy just to go psycho on someone that's annoying you, but it shows real maturity to admit you're not in the best position and be able to step back. Our staff also have the option to temporarily suspend someone until an Admin is available to deal with the problem fully (whether it be a warning, suspension or ban).

And you think the staff at GTAF doesn't do that? That's pretty ignorant, tbh. Almost every forum has moderators with similar mentality. If not, they wouldn't be chosen as moderators in the first place.

Also, I have 1 reminder and 3 warnings on GTAF and I'm still on the staff team. Beat that, fuckers. :P
Oh that's reassuring! Sounds like they have some good staff. Hiring ex-cons might explain the harshness of the moderators there...

Ex-cons? The only member I can think of that fits that criteria is Demarest. And that was hell of a long time back. Not to mention, on a forum of GTAF's size, such members are bound to appear. Even then, he was a damn good modder.

I think most of you guys are just bitter because you got warned/banned for something that you thought was appropriate. But that's not how the internet works, is it?
. Time after time we get members coming here complaining of unfair treatment. It's been happening for years, and there are loads of independent topics about it. That's not just a happy coincidence, that's a steady stream of overzealous moderating.

As for allowing someone to stay given that many warnings, that's equally bad moderating. I don't know what political detail there was to his incident, but he was treated very differently to the average member. And by allowing him to stay, it looks like you allowed a lot of damage to happen. A long-term suspension (eg a month, 3 months) usually does the trick in these situations - which we sometimes do to very active members (eg Connor/Twisted).

I think you missed my point. I was pointing at the fact that he was allowed to stay on despite that many warnings because most of them were minor offences. The final banning was only the cumulative result of those previous warnings. This was in reply to all those people who were saying they got banned for bumping a topic, which is ridiculous as I have never seen that happen in my 3 years over there.

And yes, I have seen few of those topics. Do you really think they presented a fair point of view as to why they were banned? You have people complaining about getting banned for bumping topics and having oversized signatures. C'mon, it doesn't take rocket science to understand that they're lying.

As for long term suspension, I myself know a few members (few of official gangs) who have served month long suspensions. So, that is not a rarity on GTAF either. It is handed out fairly when verbal warnings cease to serve the purpose.

Banned on GTAForums twice,

Banned on Supraforums

Banned on GTAgaming for no reason

Banned on 4chan :o? NAH I GOT Z PROXY :whistle:

Banned on GTA4mods

Banned on The GTA underground

Banned on GTA junkiez

Banned on GTA Central

Suspended twice Here, Warned twice

Suspended 8 times on GTA stunting

Suspended 3 times on Godlesslimit Forums

I think people dont like me :lamo:

Edited by Wheelman101

I've been banned 4 times in a row in GTAF (well, I did 5 and one got saved). I was changing names in the forum. what a turd am I. :awesome:

Other than that, none. GTAF is just...just...oh damn it.

I've been screwing up some of my peeps at the soon-to-be Activision forums. But for all those bashing, saying #$^&%&^% words, etc., I got no warning from a moderator or an administrator. Well, I love my part of being the anti-majority dude.

GTAF just got my records pooped. <_<

I was just giving my observations based on what has been posted time after time on here about GTAF.

With regards to stepping back, there are too many complaints about your staff banning someone because they seem to be in a bad mood; because they were personally upset; or because they disagreed in an on-topic discussion/argument. Bans seem to be a tool of personal attack, in retaliation to personal feelings, rather than a purely formal sanction due to rules being broken. That's not just a happy coincidence...

By ex-cons I mean staff with warnings. Kinda explains a few things... Maybe I'm being prescriptive but unless those warnings are a LONG time in the past, they shouldn't be staff. We've had staff who acted fine, but still had that pent-up anger and frustration that caused them to spaz out and go psycho on someone that upset them. Those people are no longer staff, and we haven't made the same mistake since.

Of course I don't believe everything everyone says. If someone is banned, they might realise it is fair, or they might think it is unfair. Usually here people realise that we are fair, and they understand why we do what we do (even if they don't like it). With GTAF, people don't seem to understand why they were banned. Of course I take that with a pinch of salt, just like I take what you say with a pinch of salt. You're clearly defending your forum and your position (rightly or wrongly), which is no bad thing, but it's what I would expect you to do.

A big kick up the arse like that usually sorts people out, it's far better than banning, since some people can just be having a bad time and maybe just need to realise that they're being a dick.

Then again some people are still reluctant to behave and that just results in banning.

Being a moderator myself on other forums I can understand how shit and frustrating it can get for one. On a domain name forum, full of spammers trying to get quick free domains, up to now I've had to ban at least 500 people, purely because they didn't give a shit, even after countless warnings, we had a policy though, anyone who has multiple accounts is banned, no excuses, can't take risks when money is being put into it, that's where all the members were going, banned, suspensions just don't work in that situation.

The last time I was banned off of a forum was probably in 2005 before I came here as a member (not a guest), I have no warnings on here, no verbal warnings either. I completely agree with Gerard too, the staff are fair here. The staff here are friendly and you have a better chance of having a good conversation with a moderator here than anywhere else where the moderators prefer to converse less with the regular members and disown them every now and again.

On certain forums, I have seen moderators ban members, because of some bad history or the moderator doesn't like the username/member that joined. Sometimes these people are innocent and may have had a bad past but have acted upon this and became a good member. The latest examples here appear to be Spider-Vice and Undercover - both of whom used to be hated partly because of what they posted and their responses to other people's posts - and have improved greatly.

Sometimes a member keeps coming back and annoying it. I believe the record on here was that Andy guy last year. Gerard and I were spotting at least 7 of his double accounts during a MSN conversation in February or March last year. Hopefully we managed to spot them all but that was, in my opinion, the most desperate person I had ever seen join here.

Rather than blatantly defending GTAF, I'm speaking from what I have seen in the past 3 years. I can assure you from my side that it is nothing like you're imagining it to be. Of course, it could have been a different story before that. We had members revolting against Cerbera and Demarest when they were global mods, which ultimately led to the de-modding of Cerbera and banning of Demarest. But those were the only hiccups to ever occur on the staff side. It's pretty difficult to judge people on the internet, isn't it?

As has been said, moderating a forum of such a huge size is a hectic job and probably, the most unthankful jobs on the internet ever! I myself tend to lose my cool quite a few times in the SA forums when people continue to post modding related topics in there inspite of the big bold letters at the top of the page that clearly say 'Modding questions belong in the modding forums!'. So, you can only imagine what the global mods have to go through when some shithead decides he is too important to follow the rules. Even then, like a democracy, second chances are given. But prepubescent kids with inflated egos rarely understand the ethics of the forum. And seriously, you have to be too stupid to get yourself banned on an internet forum.

Edited by Girish

I've been banned from a few forums for about a week because people just can't handle the way I talk and don't "get me". It's not to be rude, it's not to hurt anyone's feelings, it's honesty. I'm blunt and I'm not afraid to say whatever is on my mind so people automatically assume I'm just being a bitch. I'd rather be upfront and honest than lie to someone. If people can't handle it, well, I feel sorry for those who can't handle the truth.

I've been perma banned from one forum because my friends and I, who were also banned, raided it after using a proxy.

What happened was, this forum was a music forum and I was a mod. A few months later, I joined another music forum while still being active in the previous music forum. The admin stalked a bunch of us, saw that we joined this other music forum amd stripped me of my mod position because she "didn't like that I posted there". I told her I could post wherever I wanted to and that her forum isn't the only music foru on the net so she banned me. My friend was still there and asked her why I got banned and she banned him for that. A few other people got banned for similar reasons.

Don't ever go there. All the people she banned were the ones keeping the place alive so I can imagine how boring it is there now.

I've been banned from a few forums for about a week because people just can't handle the way I talk and don't "get me". It's not to be rude, it's not to hurt anyone's feelings, it's honesty. I'm blunt and I'm not afraid to say whatever is on my mind so people automatically assume I'm just being a bitch. I'd rather be upfront and honest than lie to someone. If people can't handle it, well, I feel sorry for those who can't handle the truth.

I've been perma banned from one forum because my friends and I, who were also banned, raided it after using a proxy.

What happened was, this forum was a music forum and I was a mod. A few months later, I joined another music forum while still being active in the previous music forum. The admin stalked a bunch of us, saw that we joined this other music forum amd stripped me of my mod position because she "didn't like that I posted there". I told her I could post wherever I wanted to and that her forum isn't the only music foru on the net so she banned me. My friend was still there and asked her why I got banned and she banned him for that. A few other people got banned for similar reasons.

Don't ever go there. All the people she banned were the ones keeping the place alive so I can imagine how boring it is there now.

What's the URL so I could take a look.

Well, I have never been banned, only warned because of mock-up accounts. Good thing. Whew.

Oh, I can hella beat that. Just ask Chris.

Why do you people bother trying to sign up so many more times after you get banned? Obviously you aren't liked there so what's going to change?

I certainly wouldn't want to sign up again to a site I got banned from.

Eh, something to do, I guess. Boredom plays a big part.

Holy thread bump batman. (goddamn I'm old)

Well maybe not, week old, I haven't been around in months.. meh.

I've been banned from 2 forums that I know of. There are a few that I don't post at anymore that I wouldn't be surprised if I can no longer log in (we're talking years since I've been there).

My first ban was the forms at www.mlb.com Yes Major League Baseball banned me. Why? Well I was a moderator at another site to discuss baseball and made mention of it. They took it as advertising and banned me.

Shortly after that I left that baseball site (I was a global mod, and the oldest person on staff at the ripe old age of 21!). I left because the owner/admin was all of 14, had no idea how to run a site, got on people for the stupidest crap. He actually wanted to hold a staff meeting at 10 AM on a Monday, when I was at work. Got pissy that I couldn't be online at work that day... etc. (The site has since folded)

Anyway, when I left I joined a site called www.thebirdsofprey.com. It was a site mainly of members of the MLB and of the above that were sick of the BS like I was, but it was for Baltimore Oriole fans only.

Right after I joined the Admin made me a Mod (didn't want to be one). Things went along ok, but I knew it was only a matter of time before the Admin pissed someone off on the open forum (he had a habit of doing this on other boards).

Turns out I was right, and it was me. He didn't like my signature (despite having it up for months). And rather than PM me and ask me to change it he brings it up on the forum.

I asked him to take it to PM after we argued a bit, he wouldn't. So I deleted his posts. Yup me little old Mod deleted the Admin/owner's posts.

He didn't like that, but he did take it to PM. I also noticed that my sig suddenly read "I am a tool"

So, I removed myself as a mod, sent him a PM where I basically told him to go fuck himself that he'd run the site into the ground without me around to keep him straight, sent PMs to my favorite members telling them what happened, and signed off.

He IP banned me. Which banned the entire Community College of Baltimore County as I often checked the site from there.

The site folded within 2 years, and I occasionally saw posts on the MLB board where I had rejoined from people complaining about treatment from that guy and his site.

Edited by draftermatt