Fallout: New Vegas

The Bossman

Fallout New Vegas was announced moments ago during a Bethesda press conference in London.

The new game was revealed by Bethesda's Pete Hines who said that the publisher is working with Obsidian Entertainment on the title.

It will be coming out next year for the PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

"It is not a sequel to Fallout 3," Hines said. "It's simply another Fallout game in that universe."

It will be the same sort of role-playing game experience seen in Fallout 3, he said. The game's official reveal, with more details and a look at the game down the line.

Hines added that this title will have no impact on what Todd Howard and his team are working on.

Obsidian Entertainment is the development studio that rose from the ashes of Black Isle Studios, responsible for developing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Neverwinter Nights, Alpha Protocol, and Sega's Aliens: Crucible RPG, which is currently on indefinite hold.

Link. Wat. 'New Vegas?' I could have made up a better name than that. I don't have high hopes for this, the next real Fallout game will take years and years to make, but with just a years development, this could be a flop. What do you think?

• 9 months later...

Bump. Info has started to be released for the game, and PSM3 has a world exclusive look at the game, the mag came out today. I typed this on another forum, so am posting it up here:

This is really looking promising, now. In the latest PSM3 mag, they have a world exclusive reveal of the game, and I read the article not long ago. Basically, the land in New Vegas is relatively untouched from the harshness of the nuclear war. So, you have green grass, plants, buildings that aren't half destroyed, a bright blue sky, etc. To set the story, 'you're a courier sent to New Vegas by someone we don't know, shot in the head and left in the Mojave desert to feed the mutated wild-life'. 'Fortunately for you, a kindly robot named Victor picked up your broken body and rushed you to the run-down, Wild-West style town of Goodsprings, where local sawbones Doc Mitchell patches you up. And so the scene is set for you to discover the mystery behind your attempted assasination'.

After that, you wake up from your bed groggy, with Doc Mitchell sat in front of you. He asks your name and age, so similar to Fallout 3s opening, before you walk over to a 'Vigour Testor'. It's the same as the SPECIAL book from Fallout 3, where you set your base stats. After that, he sits you down for a psychological profile test, essentially the GOAT exam from F3, only smarter and funnier. 'The first round of questions is word association, and when Mitchell says "Mother", you get the option to plump for "Human Shield".' The screenshot I see has the blotted paper thing, where you have to say what you see, the 3 choices in view are 'A light in the darkness', 'a bearded man' and 'a mushroom cloud'. There's more, there's the scroll bar by the side of the box as usual.

There's also a discussion of one of the first missions in Goodsprings, between a gang of escaped convicts and a man called Ringo, who's hiding in the toilets in the local saloon. 'You can gather supporters in the town to help drive off the Powder Gangers (nice parody), you can ignore it, or you can side with the cons and hand over Ringo'. PSM3 chose to help Ringo out.

A few other details, there's a karma system in place. If you right or wrong a town, they won't forget it, and word might spread of your good/villanious deeds throughout the land, making it easier or harder to get friends. Perks will return. There's a new command system, with options like toggling between meless or ranged attacks, open your inventory, changing the distance between you and your friend(s) eg stay close or keep distance, and other options old and new. New creatures like the Geckos, which are radiation enlarged lizards, and Big Horners, mutated mountain rams. Plant life, like 'barrel cacti, agave plants and Joshua trees', and lots more secrets.

A teaser trailer too -

Some useful links:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Fallout:_New_Vegas_details_from_PlayStation_Magazine

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Details_on_Fallout:_New_Vegas_magazine_campaign

http://www.destructoid.com/more-details-emerge-on-fallout-new-vegas-162761.phtml

http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23694

Edited by Bateman.

Not being dev'd by Bethesda IIRC, it's by..obsidian..or someone, something like that. Wonder what they'll do with the engine, it's a bit of a dog as far as fluidity is concerned, so I'm hoping they make the best of it's better features.

Shows promise, otherwise. Oh, and as long as we get trenchcoats back.. IDC. Screw tesla armour, I prefer Trenchcoats and fedoras.

Yeah. Posted here last night but net fuxxed. I hope there's a bit more smoothness and a greater sense of...comfort in both of the ways you can play. i.e. RPG or FPS. The FPS side needs to be a bit more self assured; like if you compare the way half life 2 plays as an FPS and Fallout does... there's some niggling little difference that makes HL2 so much more convincing. Not sure what it is,maybe even if they remove a degree of open endedness to the story mode, i dunno.. maybe that's it? Discuss.

Hardcore mode also sounds awesome... you have to drink plus ammo costs weight points. Suits my play style really.

I'm definitely going to do my first playthrough in harcore mode, it sounds really sweet.

But yeah, the gameplay is awfull in Fallout 3 and I doubt they they'll change it significantly in New Vegas. It's a real shame if they don't fix this though, it would make Fallout a much more enjoyable game. Plus, I'm hoping the changes on the karma system are good, it was way fucking retarded in Fallout 3, like:

"Yo, I just blew up a whole town but it don't matter cuz I can just give water to some random dudes and then BAM! I'm a fucking Messiah".

This shit can't happen, it's one of the things I hate about most western rpgs.

Yeah, an improvement would be like a karma heatmap... obviously in the world of fallout everyone knows everyone. Could also make it more plausible by employing the Black & White 2 thing where your appearance changes with your karma if they insist upon keeping it ona general level. That'd be sweet.

Oh.. and am i the only person who thinks VATS is a massive heap of shit? Like, not even the way bethesda did id. Just... the general idea is stupid. Yes it's the future, yes you've got some computer thing strapped to your arm but come on... Where's the challenge?

Oh and the inventory system needs changing imo. MGS3's was kickass IIRC. Where you have like an X and Y system you navigate whilst keeping full game view, etc. Or did I imagine that?

Nah, you're right.

Vats sucks big time, I'd rather have turn based combat than that shit.

And yeah, MGS3's inventory system was like that, it really is a lot better than in Fallout 3.

Basically, my problem with the karma system is that I don't like having this stupid label on me telling me all the time how bad or good I am, I shouldn't get a stupid warning telling me that I lose or win karma, it's dumb. I like to know how "good" I am by the way people respond to me, by some events in the game, shit like that. Now don't give me a bar or whatever, I'd rather put some fucking horns on my character and have people call him the devil.

Yeah, character responses is a much better system... Like... 'you've gained karma' - have i? It's not gonna stop me turning round and blowing Moriarty's head off now is it? Karma should become apparent based on what kinds of a people trust you, want to co-operate with you and i think it's be pretty good if items responded to karma. For example if you use a stimpak on someone else, high karma makes it more effective, low karma less. And vice versa with guns, etc.

ITT me and Ivan bitch about Fallout3

Seems that way, uh? No more fallout "fans" around here?

But fuck, I can't really recall any more big flaws, I mean, the story wasn't very good or very well written but it was enough to keep me going. Just no more "Oh I must search for my daddy!" stuff, please. All in all, with these new changes and the good stuff from Fallout 3, it seems like it will be a pretty sweet game. Just don't fuck up the ending this time.

Oh and let me shoot kids and all that nasty stuff.

Edited by Ivan

Yeah the story did suck quite a bit. The oblivion one was alot better imo. Oh yeah, and bollocks to cutting the game off if I didn't get the GoTY edition. Oh and whateveritscalled lane can fuck off too, that was stupid. Tranquillity. Didn't see the relevance of that on the story, seemed a bit worked in if you ask me.

Also more stuff to use as weapons. If you're gonna give me dumb shit like detergent, plungers and cans, let me pick them up PROPERLY and throw them PROPERLY. Also chainsaws.

Tranquility Lane is super fun if you butcher everyone, can't say much more than that is worth it.

A proper chainsaw would be badass, like to kill kids and stuff.

I know this is gonna sound sick but I'd like to have some more obscure and nasty stuff thrown into the game, hell, stuff that was already in past Fallout games like becoming a hooker. It really helps in terms of defining how much of a mess the world, thus becoming a more immersive game. Not something likely but one can hope.

OH AND FIX THE STUPID ENEMY ENCOUNTERS

I can't tell how pissed I've got when I lose valuable npcs because everytime I quick travel, some motherfucking powerful enemy shows up and kills everyone, it's way too lame and makes no sense at all.

It's just good to see a back and forth conversation around here, for once lol. Not many of them around these days. I actually thought Fallout 3 was pretty good, there were an awful lot of flaws which I'll mention in a sec, but generally the story moved along nicely, there was a nice amount of freedom in levelling up your character so you're strong enough for later battles, choosing the right skill points involved a lot of thought and planning ahead, etc, and having a follower made it feel more welcoming. There's a massive amount of choice in terms of dialogue, and many random encounters that I'm still discovering. When you reach level 30, you're practically a god. On my main save I have over 500 stimpacks and 80,000 caps, but not a lot left to do now other than scavenge for stuff I don't need.

I would discuss more positive points, and there are lots, but the negatives really need to be fixed. The frame rate at times was virtually unplayable, especially on the GOTY edition on PS3. I haven't explored all of Point Lookout because the PS3 keeps freezing, and it happens to every PS3 playing the GOTY, not just mine. Just poor programming. You can get out of the map in some places on the console, and run around in open space and see underneath buildings and stuff like that. You'd get stuck in the most stupid places, I got stuck on the side of a metal pole, suspended in mid air during Broken Steel, I recorded a small video of it on my handheld. I got stuck on Moiras bed in Megaton while trying to pick up something, stuck underneath some rubble somehow in a random building, and several others. Occasional problems with Trophies and Achievements registering, like if you discover a certain location before completing a quest. Sometimes the voice dialogue is muted and the dialogue skips really fast so you can't read what's happening, which was actually handy for me when doing the infinite SMG cheat.

• 1 month later...

Ever since hearing about I can't wait for it! I played Fallout 3 so much that on one session my PS3 overheated and broke (well I was also in Spain at the time during the summer and our AC still wasn't set up).

I hope they make the animations more smoother as for example when you run, your feet just kind of slide along the floor and most of the character animations sucked to be honest. I hope they also include more quests because when you actually sit down and play the game going for the quest trophies/achievements there wasn't as many as I thought there would be (not to say that there isn't loads though).

It'll be nice to see a working street lamp for a change, Vegas baby!

I found wandering the Wasteland on F3 relaxing, regardless of the creatures biting your face off. I haven't played many games with a world as open as that, GTA apart, and with such freedom to the story too. You can start almost any quest you want regardless of what level you're at, and being able to scavenge everything makes it a lot of fun, especially selling the kit you find to try and survive and buy more stimpacks. I uninstalled F3 recently, I have the Platinum trophy for it and have nothing left to do really. Maybe a few leftover quests but I don't get any XP for them either because of the 30 level cap. What I've seen so far of F NV fills me with confidence. :)