How far could GTA4 go?

We all know Rockstar are gonna surprise us with bigger and better everything, but whats the furthest do you think they could go? Not what would be best - in this topic size is everything.

Whats the biggest size map they could achieve?

How many vehicles could they incorporate?

What extra game tools (such as modding) could they supply?

Think BIG

Well with a next gen system: Look at how GTA was on the PS1 and look at its first outing on the PS2. Thats about how much they're going to improve. I'm guessin about 5 cities, some connected, some not connect but instead out in the middle of the sea. Maybe one jungle island with no people on it, or it be a military base instead. The possibilities are endless and no matter what we guess, it'll blow us away and hit us where we least expect it.

All I know is I am going to save up some money to buy a playstation 3.

I'm imagining that they will be able to get something <2-3x the size of San Andreas. It is a big improvment on size from GTA3, I say GTA3 becuase it was bigger than Vice City. Or... maybe they won't make the map too much bigger and incorporate features like snow and earthquakes and other natural happenings.

I say GTA3 becuase it was bigger than Vice City

no vice city was excacly 2x bigger (think about it before you say it)

well, i think that there are going to be several islands including vice city liberty city and san andreas. i think the map will problebly be at least 5-6 time bigger then san andreas. i also think there will be hurricanes/landslides/tornados/floods/snow/bullshit/and more bullshit.

thats what i think

I say GTA3 becuase it was bigger than Vice City

no vice city was excacly 2x bigger (think about it before you say it)

well, i think that there are going to be several islands including vice city liberty city and san andreas. i think the map will problebly be at least 5-6 time bigger then san andreas. i also think there will be hurricanes/landslides/tornados/floods/snow/bullshit/and more bullshit.

thats what i think

Are you saying ONE island from VC is the size of LC? I don't think so. LC's islands were bigger than VC's. And it had three. The map might be bigger, but there is also alot more water in VC.

I just don't think LC VC and SA will be in the next one.

Speaking for myself, I think that the next gta title wll be a add on to vice city having a whole new area including a new and improved vice city. I mean at the end of vice city I was left with a bit of a empty spot inside me. So in general I think it will expand to about the size of San Andreas or bigger. :rolleyes:

Your wrong Mbssondude it won't be an improved vice city i think the next game will be set in dundee (Australia) just because gtavc had a bilboard of dundee and australia is big. I think aussies will be in the next game i hope i wrong i would hate for it to be set in australia

Your wrong Mbssondude it won't be an improved vice city i think the next game will be set in dundee (Australia) just because gtavc had a bilboard of dundee and australia is big. I think aussies will be in the next game i hope i wrong i would hate for it to be set in australia

VERY unlikely that the clues for 4 will be in VC. Probably in SA. But the clues will probably be hard to find.

In my mind there is absolutely no way it can be an "addon". For a start, if the next game is on PS3, that completely negates the whole idea of it.

What would be good is if we could work out what Rockstar would be able to fit on a 53GB disc in terms of what was in San Andreas, then scale it down a little bit to make room for massively improved graphics, and we have an accurate estimate at how big it will be.

I'm not working it out by the way :P

Not fully sure if they will be 53 GB discs though. You do know they are creating a new format, right? They are mixing Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Both sides wants their media to be the base format.

I said I think. I thought! My Opinion!

So there is really no way I am wrong or right.

You're actually mixing these things up. Of course opinion can't be right or wrong. But saying you think the next GTA will be "BLAH BLAH BLAH" CAN be right or wrong, when Rockstar releases what it will be.

It is entirely probably that GTA 4 hasn't been planned yet. There were hints in GTAIII and VC for the later games, but that was because they were the trilogy that Rockstar always wanted to do.

GTA 4 will not be anything like the GTAIII series - it will be a completely different format. GTA1 and GTA2 were captain-birds-eye-view Hit & Run games. GTAIII/VC/SA are 3PS. GTA4 may be an RPG, it may be an FPS, it may be predominanly multiplayer. We all love the 3PS, and i would hate for that to change.

In case some people are dreaming.. The disk they'll use is gonna be 53GB.. That's over 10 times the size of San Andreas.. But I don't predict it's gonna be that huge.. R* wouldn't have enough time for that.. Possibly around 5 times the size.. With every building enterable.

Edited by WiseGuyEddie

Well thats the best guide we have. We can say just about 53gig, but it might only be 40 (which would be stupid to lower it) or it might be 80 (in which case its more than 53gig. Just let us think of it as 53, makes no difference at this stage, just it shows that the disk size will be several times that of SA.

• 3 weeks later...

No posts on this topic yet?

Well, anyways.. Spaz, it's obviously confirmed that PS3's using BD-ROM (Blu-Ray).. No longer combining HD and BD.. So, no arguments on that.

I want the game to be maybe around 3 cities, like SA, but, the big difference will be the scale.. The cities will be MUCH larger, but I don't think they'll make it the ACTUAL scale of the real cities, especially New York, that's insane.

- Peace -

Yeah to back you up spaz Sony and Toshiba will use Blue Ray with HD-DVD.

I am happy to announce that the largest capacity at the moment is 100gb blue ray!

That is four layers of 25 gb each.... dont believe me? Well see for yourself http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/05/19/tdk/index.php !

Anyway I totaly believe that you wont see any of Vice City, LCS, San Andreas etc. in next-gen GTA.

Let me back myself up with these quotes>>

Terry Donovan from R* said "It was really important for us to do this trilogy. A fictional New York in a contemporary setting, Miami in the '80s, and a '90s Cali - that was the trilogy. That was the plan from a long time ago."

.... I cant seem to find the article where Sam Houser says that the trilogy has ended with San Andreas.

So I highly believe that the next GTA will totally be different. I mean we are changing consoles here.

Just look at the difference between PS1 to PS2, now that plus 10% is what to expect from next-gen GTA

Pricewise, Sony officials said the PS3 should be less than 50,000 yen each!!! ...which is around $465 US dollars. Sony's pricing structure in the past guides us to the fact that the PlayStation 3 will sell in the UK for £350-£400.

The XBox 360 however has been headlined to go for slightly cheaper - about $400 in the US and £300 in Europe. Not that M$ don't need to do anything to get it selling well, the pre-Christmas release and the release long before the PS3 (not in sight of the NinRev), the smaller price tag might swing next-gen buyers over to the XBox.

However, if GTA4 does come out on the XBox 360 eight months after the PS3's release, then methinks that Microsoft begin to lose their edge. At least their controllers don't look like fridge door handles...