How far could GTA4 go?

This is my idea since I had been playing GTA3, have you ever listened to the radios? Theres always poeple phoning in from some place called 'Costa City' thats where the next game will be set I reckon. It will most probably be like GTA2 where you work for whoever you want and you should be

able to create your own character, height, eyes, nose, build, weight and such.

Sony will be going with blue ray and Microsoft will be going with DVD-9 Dual Layered Discs. That is only 9.4gb!

Anyway as far as prices goes it is very likely that the Xbox 360 will be around $299- $350 . http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/27/news_6126611.html

The Sony looks like it could be around $370. http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/24/news_6126410.html

i dont care which gets released when, it's PS3 for me. I can't work LEGALLY but i can do favours for people, but i'm definitely saving up. if you saying $370 USD is the price that means umm $700 AUD (holy shit) but the PS2 came out at the price of $750 so ah well i'll get $700 so i can get it a bit cheaper and the new GTA4

anyways isnt this topic about how far the GTA 4 can go

well i think it should be a completely NEW city/state/country/s. More storyline missions and custom player things

How about converting the format to something on a smaller scale.

GTA 1 and 2 only showed the cars, people and buildings, with a few crates here and there.

The GTA 3 Trilogy gave you objects, some of which you could use.

Maybe GTA 4 will let you use much smaller objects, for example televisions, computers, chairs, music players, clocks, light switches etc.

so i can get it a bit cheaper and the new GTA4

Just so you know, GTA IV will NOT be a launch title. I don't know who keeps spreading this, but it IS NOT true.

Sony will be going with blue ray and Microsoft will be going with DVD-9 Dual Layered Discs.

A BLU-RAY((not blue...)) and HD-DVD combo like thing. w00t w00t. The first Blu-Ray play and HD DVD player on the market!

The GTA3 trilogy didn't give us much we could use, except weapons. And those were in the other GTA games, too. I'd like to pick up a bar or a table or something and smash someone in the head with it. Bar fights, ha!

I quoted this from ign.com:

Among one hundred billion other bits of technical information, we recently learned that the PlayStation 3 will be capable of outputting a 1080 progressive scan image.

Very few pieces of media currently support 1080 progressive scan display. For reference, Apple recently announced that it would release new movie trailers in 1080p format, provided gamers used their new Quicktime application. Additionally, a couple of movies (namely Terminator 2) support 1080p.

While a lot of televisions do not currently support the ultra high-end format, it's great to see Sony looking way into the future for its next system.

Does that mean we need 1080p televisions to play the PS3?

I'm quite dumb on this. So... Can anyone answer me? :?:

i just hope its very good, big & with very good graphics

yah it should be well anyways it more in likely will be very big and with okay graphics I hope. But when a GTA game comes out for the PS3 and the Xbox 360 the graphics will probably be so good.

Edited by skullraider

And SkY^ what you said about that 1080P scan display with an older television well of course you probably would not be able to see the full effect of the game and the graphics would really suck on them. Especially if the T.V. was black and white.

Don't you EVEN try to start some shit, I was talking to Eddie, fag.

@ Eddie: I dont think they'd make it to where it's only playable on certain T.Vs, that'd lose some profit..

Alright, let's get back on topic of Gta, and not the ps3 image scan.. thing.

so i can get it a bit cheaper and the new GTA4

Just so you know, GTA IV will NOT be a launch title. I don't know who keeps spreading this, but it IS NOT true.

Sony will be going with blue ray and Microsoft will be going with DVD-9 Dual Layered Discs.

A BLU-RAY((not blue...)) and HD-DVD combo like thing. w00t w00t. The first Blu-Ray play and HD DVD player on the market!

The GTA3 trilogy didn't give us much we could use, except weapons. And those were in the other GTA games, too. I'd like to pick up a bar or a table or something and smash someone in the head with it. Bar fights, ha!

lol bar fights

what i meant was to wait for GTA 4 to come out on PS3 then buy the combo/pack thing they usually have with a popular game

Yea that could happen eventually, but the PS3 is less than a year away, and GTA4, well we don't know, could be 2 years could be five... *hopes not*

Do you guys reckon it'll come out on XBox 360? The PS3 version would be soo much better than the 360 version, I'm not sure whether its worth bringing out. That would benefit Sony somewhat, as most gamers would buy the PS3 - most of the GTA gamers, all the PlayStation gamers, and probably some turned XBox players.

I'm so tired of people saying that GTA4 should be GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas together on one map! That would be, without a doubt, the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Anyone who says that is a dumbf**k. GTA4 is going to be innovative, original, and, without a doubt, motherf**king mindblowing. It is NOT going to be a showcase for R* to show off old games on new hardware.

I'm so tired of people saying that GTA4 should be GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas together on one map! That would be, without a doubt, the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Anyone who says that is a dumbf**k. GTA4 is going to be innovative, original, and, without a doubt, motherf**king mindblowing. It is NOT going to be a showcase for R* to show off old games on new hardware.

Thank you! It would get old... really fast. Oh wow! I get to travel in between SA and LC! But I've done everything in both cities. Wow. Now I'm bored! Oh, I'm sure THAT'S really a good idea. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

In San Andreas, we've seen how we can do more things to manipulate the game. The clothing ranges have been massively expanded, fitness is customisable, and even comments are made on it. The beautiful thing about the GTA mission structures is that they they are 'pick and choose' - you dont have to go from level to level, you go from mission to mission to pissing about to mission to vigilante to the gym to mission, and entirely at your own choice (providing certain missions/areas/contacts have been unlocked).

In a coming GTA game, I think this customisation will be massively expanded on. You could see yourself choosing between missions, rather than choosing the order they come in. If you fail a mission, you could lose respect for that contact, and s/he may give you a worse mission to do, or refuse to give you any. You could also get talking to some prominent figure, and they may give you missions, just like you kinda do with Jizzy in SA, except thats just part of a cutscene in a mission - you should be able to do that off your own back. Make friends, make enemies. And if you kill people - they die and don't return. This goes for pedestrians, bodyguards, contacts, bosses, public figures, and even your friends and family.

More things should happen if somebody dies. If you kill the congressman/mayor/president or somebody, maybe have a funeral for them (not organised by you or anything, just a procression down a street), and a replacement should be implemented. The same goes for Dons, contacts and gang leaders - the gang should either riot, or bring in a new leader. This could all be helped along with the interactive news reports.

• 2 weeks later...
Your wrong Mbssondude it won't be an improved vice city i think the next game will be set in dundee (Australia) just because gtavc had a bilboard of dundee and australia is big. I think aussies will be in the next game i hope i wrong i would hate for it to be set in australia

coming from an Australian... having GTA set in Australia would be as boring as hell, coz Australia doesnt have much major crime at all. I think we have like 2 "big" crime families in Melbourne.

As a point, and not to agree with mindless n00bs, backwards compatibility could be wound into the future games. There COULD be an option to load the maps from a previous compatible game, or future expansion packs. That way official maps would be released (now Odie can't make any more). Maybe, just maybe, a future GTA engine could use current game maps/paths/vehicles.

However, i doubt that will be neccesary, with the ever-expanding map sizes and game possibilities etc, that you would have to resort to using an old game you used to play a few years ago.

Mind you, I think we can all agree it would be nice to see Vice or Liberty in new glory, with these being the classic GTA cities we will always remember, but i think we can also agree Rockstar shouldn't waste their time on something like that, bringing VCinto SA is the job of modders, as it was with GTA Liberty City (Put Liberty into VCs engine)

i put the gta san andreas cd into my computer and it says that there is 4.20gb of information so with that in mind knowing the next gen blu-ray discs are going to be 54gb and possibly 100gb+ if they are quad layer(but lets just say 54gb ok).If R* fill the entire disc which they wont because it would take too long to make the game and get it out the the public, yeh if they do it will be 12 times bigger than SA!!! :wtf:

could u imagine a game 12 times bigger than SA? :wtf:

even if they only fill half the disc its still mind blowing being 6 times bigger than SA. :D

and then further more could u imagine a game 24 times the size of SA if they do use like quad layer blu-ray 100gb+ :dribble:

also their is the possibility for a double sided quad layer disc so thats 200gb of info so thats 48 times SA :w00t: , i no this is abit mind blowing and several people will die when reading this but keep in mind they wont reach these levels of disc storage till ps3 is many years into production if ever.

thats some food for thought :thumbsup:

Edited by kane-o

While a double sided quad layered B-R disc WOULD be awesome, it would SUCK ASS without a drive that could read BOTH sides simaltaneously. Why? Because in the middle of this giant awesome game((and what would determine the "middle" switching point?)), I do NOT want to stop to flip the damn disk over.

On top of that, telling which side to start on sucks. To go on further, you couldn't lay it around when switching disks/going somewhere/etc.

im incline to think that the ps3 would be double sided being next gen and all, plus if sony is designing the ps3 for blu-ray discs then if blu-ray isdouble sided then they should be able to read both sids