IPB3 preview

Some of you may be aware that Invision Power Board 3 was recently released. Last week I began testing it for TGTAP. I won't go into all the fancy new features and everything here, I'll leave that to when we actually upgrade.

So I made a copy of the database about a week ago and successfully upgraded from IPB 2.3 on it, so it looks like when we do upgrade this forum it'll be pretty smooth. I began integrating the skin into our fixed width layout last week. That is done, no actual skinning has been done thus far though, as I wanted to see what you guys thought so far.

Preview: http://www.thegtaplace.com/ipb3/

Just so we're clear, the above is not a live forum, it's a copy of TGTAP from about a week ago. You'll be able to login to your account there and do whatever the hell you want, but anything you do won't be reflected here.

Some stuff:

1. You can collapse that menu on the right if you think it's taking up too much space by clicking on the X.

2. Don't like the fixed width? Post here and let me know then. If there's a lot of you who prefer the 100% width skin then I'll make one like that too so people can choose. (100% width looks ridiculous on widescreen, you'll know what I mean if like me you browse at 1920x1200. Tons of whitespace everywhere!)

Those of you still on 1024x768 (most of you actually :/) won't even know what I'm talking about so disregard that.

Looks good,

Found one bug in the profile page.

Profileu7t.png

The Avatar/Post count/etc column is a bit too wide and the font size of topic title/header could be reduced a bit.

Still have to login and look around.

This may not be the right place but yeah, the click and copy link feature in Imagelodge doesn't work.

Edited by EvoLuTioN

Yeah that ImageLodge thing is because something Flash 10 broke, it worked fine up to version 9 :P

And yeah I'm aware of the profile page. I'll work on that later.

@Huck: The reporting system is a hell of a lot better as there's now a control panel for admins/mods to see them all (we had to use a mod for this until now). And of course individual posts now have reputation points (which also count towards your overall reputation). So if we see posts with really low rep we can investigate and see what's going on. This will replace our relatively unused system I tried to implement here.

Warning system doesn't include a "ban" feature so it looks like I'll need to mod that again. However, on people's profile pages, we do have the option to click a "Flag as Spammer" button, I haven't tried it yet but I presume it disables their account and adds IP/email to the ban filters or whatever. So if bot prevention hasn't been improved then at least they ways we can deal with them has.

Yeah that ImageLodge thing is because something Flash 10 broke, it worked fine up to version 9 :P

And yeah I'm aware of the profile page. I'll work on that later.

@Huck: The reporting system is a hell of a lot better as there's now a control panel for admins/mods to see them all (we had to use a mod for this until now). And of course individual posts now have reputation points (which also count towards your overall reputation). So if we see posts with really low rep we can investigate and see what's going on. This will replace our relatively unused system I tried to implement here.

Warning system doesn't include a "ban" feature so it looks like I'll need to mod that again. However, on people's profile pages, we do have the option to click a "Flag as Spammer" button, I haven't tried it yet but I presume it disables their account and adds IP/email to the ban filters or whatever. So if bot prevention hasn't been improved then at least they ways we can deal with them has.

Thanks. Oh, and if I migrate to IPB on my forum, can I convert my PHPBB databases to IPB?

Chris, you are the fucking bomb!

That is one nice layout, looks perfect if you ask me. Just needs to inner CSS for the forums complete, and it will be the bomb. Although the ads suck, it's a perfect place for it to be. Can't wait for the final product, it will feel like a fully recreated forum.

Anyways good stuff.

That's going to take some getting used to..

Looks sexy though. Just that one thing.. the width. Like, even on 1024 x 768, wouldn't it look a little.. well, narrow?

On the other hand, clicking away that new topics thing (very nice feature btw, and smooth animation, but with a professional look to it.) makes it look just right.

Perhaps a little darker shade. Just a tiny bit darker..

That's going to take some getting used to..

Looks sexy though. Just that one thing.. the width. Like, even on 1024 x 768, wouldn't it look a little.. well, narrow?

On the other hand, clicking away that new topics thing (very nice feature btw, and smooth animation, but with a professional look to it.) makes it look just right.

Perhaps a little darker shade. Just a tiny bit darker..

Nope. I'm on 1024x768 and it nearly fills the screen... Which is one thing I don't like about this forum, the whole thing is too wide >.<

Can't wait to see how good it is... I might upgrade my forum :P