Vista sucks.

_Ray

Hey. Notice I've been gone for about a week?

Well, the internet was working fine on my PC, and I was so amazed at how fast the PC was. After 5 days however, the network connection failed. Firefox and IE told me that although the server seemed valid, they could not establish a connection. Thinking I had been a victim of the Integrated networking going bad like half the others on Newegg, I bought a Rosewill PCI Card. Still didn't work. Uninstalled AVG, tried Direct to modem, changed about every damn setting Vista would let me. (Which is not very many.)

So now, I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 on CD, and the Internet works fine. Pissing me off, because I have no idea HOW to fix Vista.

Any ideas??

Raybob

Two more significantly more minor questions:

How do I change how much RAM my GTX 275 takes out of my system? Because it's taking over 2.8 Gig for God's sake. Also, why does Task Manager tell me that I only have 5MB Free RAM on average although it says I'm only using 2-3GB RAM?

Edited by Raybob

The GTX 275 isn't taking 2,8 Gib. I'm sure of that.

Anyway, since you've just had the installation for 5 days, why not reformat? Does wonders now and then..

That aside, I love Vista's connectivity center. It's easy as hell. Took me like 2 minutes to get internet working, while XP was a total bitch in back in the days.

Anyway, since you've just had the installation for 5 days, why not reformat? Does wonders now and then..

That aside, I love Vista's connectivity center. It's easy as hell. Took me like 2 minutes to get internet working, while XP was a total bitch in back in the days.

Why the hell would he need to reformat after only 5 days?

And I've had absolutely no luck doing anything with Vista's settings. I sat there fighting Vista on Chestnut's mom's computer. It would connect to the network, but wouldn't get off of "local only". No matter what we did.

Why the hell would he need to reformat after only 5 days?

And I've had absolutely no luck doing anything with Vista's settings. I sat there fighting Vista on Chestnut's mom's computer. It would connect to the network, but wouldn't get off of "local only". No matter what we did.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me.

Anyway, I called Microsoft and they said do a fresh install of Vista, (figures), so I did, and Iit works again. Hopefully it won't go down again.......

Also, when I reinstalled Vista, my 1TB Drive, formerly the B:\ drive, is now the G:\ drive. Is there anyway to change this back?

And yes, my Video Card is apparently taking out 2.8GB.

Oh yeah, and Microsoft had originally told me to try upgrading Vista with the CD. First time told me it was unsuccessful, second time it booted upgraded, but the internet still didn't work AND it wouldn't recognize any of my optical drives.

P.S., Vista's "simplicity" and extreme idiot-proofing are the two main reasons I hate it. The only things I've been pleased about so far is the great 32-bit compatibility and that they saved the Classic theme.

Also, when I reinstalled Vista, my 1TB Drive, formerly the B:\ drive, is now the G:\ drive. Is there anyway to change this back?

run > diskmgmt.msc

change the drive letter in that. WTF do you use B for lol, whats wrong with C like the rest of us :P B: was actually used to be reserved for 5 1/4" floppy :P

for your video card im not too sure, maybe theres an option in BIOS.

Howcome Vista sucks? It's one of the most simplest OS's, IMO. And it's faster than XP for me. Much faster.

thats a goddamn lie. :P

Some peopel HAVE to go wireless

wireless took all of 2 minutes to set up for me on XP lol. i was just making a point.

Edited by WRX22B1998

Howcome Vista sucks? It's one of the most simplest OS's, IMO. And it's faster than XP for me. Much faster.

thats a goddamn lie.

wireless took all of 2 minutes to set up for me on XP lol. i was just making a point.

A lie? Well, no. Check benchmarks. And even out of personal experience I can say that Vista is faster then XP, provided you do have 4GiB of RAM though.. At 2GiB XP is indeed faster.

Other then that, yeah, well XP had some problem with our router's heavy security. Vista seemed to just do it very smooth though.

P.S., Vista's "simplicity" and extreme idiot-proofing are the two main reasons I hate it. The only things I've been pleased about so far is the great 32-bit compatibility and that they saved the Classic theme.

With exeptions I love Vista's simplicity. Just easier to reach a few things, while not dumbing them down (they messed up the defrag tool though..)

And extreme idio-proofing? More like mallware proofing. I don't care really. Just takes two extra clicks, big deal. I'm happy with it.

Simple? That's a fucking joke. Shit baffles me. Maybe I don't understand things that are too "simple", then?

With exeptions I love Vista's simplicity. Just easier to reach a few things, while not dumbing them down (they messed up the defrag tool though..)

And extreme idio-proofing? More like mallware proofing. I don't care really. Just takes two extra clicks, big deal. I'm happy with it.

No, mal-ware proofing is investing the time to make sure your computer has protection programs and taking care of issues if and when they show up. Your OS forcing you to do it is idiot-proofing.

run > diskmgmt.msc

change the drive letter in that. WTF do you use B for lol, whats wrong with C like the rest of us :P B: was actually used to be reserved for 5 1/4" floppy :P

I have two HDDs, my SSD being C:\ and my 1TB WD being B:\.

I like having my two drive letters right next to each other, and it wouldn't let me format it to D. P.S., I have drives from A-N. (A is my floppy, B is my 1TB, C is my SSD, D is my BD-ROM, E and F are Internal DVD Burners, G is an external DVD Burner, H is an extra SD Reader, I is a flash drive, J is my IPOD, and K, L, M, and N are drives from my Media Reader)

And I hate to say it, but the person I agree with most on this topic is Spaz....... :unsure:

run > diskmgmt.msc

I like having my two drive letters right next to each other, and it wouldn't let me format it to D. P.S., I have drives from A-N. (A is my floppy, B is my 1TB, C is my SSD, D is my BD-ROM, E and F are Internal DVD Burners, G is an external DVD Burner, H is an extra SD Reader, I is a flash drive, J is my IPOD, and K, L, M, and N are drives from my Media Reader)

And I hate to say it, but the person I agree with most on this topic is Spaz....... :unsure:

UNBELIEVABLE. Not even a day after reinstalling Vista, it now won't recognize any of my optical drives. FUCK.

run > diskmgmt.msc

UNBELIEVABLE. Not even a day after reinstalling Vista, it now won't recognize any of my optical drives. FUCK.

Nevermind, a system restore fixed it. Wonder how long it'll be until something else fucks up......

And Chris82, I don't know what type of Insane LUCK you're having with Vista, but I absolutely despite it and currently wish to #$%#2K($^ER&UQ#$AYUBD Vista.

I had a laptop with Vista for almost a year (sold it now). The only thing that really hindered my using it was a slightly different interface. Other than that, I really didn't notice much of a difference in day-to day operations than with XP. It ran virtual machines, etc fine.

Did you upgrade to SP2, at least?

Well, I must've, because it's not in my list of updates to install.

EDIT: Nope, lol, Computer>Properties says Vista SP1.

Is SP2 better? Tell me the specific advantages and disadvantages. I know that personally, I was very disappointing with the slowness of XP SP3.

Also, I just downloaded SP1 for FSX, and I didn't notice ANY differences at all, although it did seem a bit slower too......

Edited by Raybob

Proof of the shared memory: (Remember that my card only has 896MB built in)

NewBitmapImage-9.jpg

The 2.8GiB you stated is the video card's total memory. It doesn't eat your main system RAM, as it is a dedicated video card rather than a crappy integrated GPU. And yes, I do have complaints at Vista, such as in the case of a laptop owned by my classmate's sister, which is a Celeron rig with Vista preinstalled. It slows down whenever I try to install something like Office 2007.

What huckleberrypie said is untrue. The VRAM information of DXDIAG rarely has it right these days. Like I've got a 512MB card and it says 2800MB.

Anyway, aren't you using outdated hardware? Sounds like a driver conflict to me. Or an IRQ conflict, but that'd be hard to imagine.. I'd settle for the driver conflict.

Try looking for new chipset drivers (are those technically even called drivers? I've got no idea, but I'm sure you know what I mean).

The only complaint I have about Vista is that it seems to take up a lot of space on my hardrive. From a 120GB hardrive I'm already down to only 5GB left. From when I first got my new laptop it didn't seem like there was much space.

...either that or I just take up far too much space with all my crap.