The Daily Chit-Chat

Siouxsie

For here lies the place to chat. :B

Right, so the idea is we keep an ongoing discussion about anything BUT to keep things sensical you have to post something relative to the previous post or at least comment on it before falling away with a new topic if you really want to. In simpler words, try staying roughly on topic to avoid any random postings. For example:

Poster #1 - I think it's great that Guantanamo Bay is finally closing.

Poster #2 - orly I can put my leg behind my head lol

... would be frowned upon like so. =[

Oh and this is different from the community thread as in this isn't so much a "what's happening with you lately" thing and more of a continuous discussion of whatever the current topic is. Make sense?

So let's kick off with: Anyone seen any good movies worth recommending lately?

I have bought a stupid amount of films on Amazon recently. I bought the BBC film version of Jane Eyre so I am looking forward to watching that tomorrow. I have also bought Anna Karenina by Tolstoy but don't to watch it until I read the rest of the book.

I'm always watching films, pretty much at least one every day. So what sort of films are you into, guarantee you I can recommend something you should like.

Really? I'm into Sofia Coppola. I loved Lost In Translation and Marie Antionette. <3 Have you seen The Virgin Suicides? I haven't, and I'm looking for opinions before I do.

I'm always watching films, pretty much at least one every day. So what sort of films are you into, guarantee you I can recommend something you should like.

Really? I'm into Sofia Coppola. I loved Lost In Translation and Marie Antionette. <3 Have you seen The Virgin Suicides? I haven't, and I'm looking for opinions before I do.

Nope, sorry. I've heard it's pretty good though.

Is Marie Antionette good? I find the French Revolution facisnating but Hollywood never seem to do historical drama's any justice.

A lot of people didn't think so because it put Marie Antoinette's decadent behaviour in a good light, sort of. But Coppola said from the start the film wasn't supposed to be a history lesson. =/

I loved it though. It had some awesome soundtrack selections too.

I hope its filmed in Versailles, I just love the palace. I will get round to seeing it, it was just it being Hollywood put me off. They destroyed the Other Boylen Girl. I don't Antionette was a bad person, I think she was just ignorant for what her people were going through.

I love foreign films, I think they are amazing.

I have been replacing all my Disney videos, but hey I am sure this is not a forum for liking Disney. If I am wrong then yay!

Can't really remember any of the old Disney films too well since it's been ages since I've seen any of them. And yeah the live action version of 101 Dalmatians was pretty rubbish, don't really remember the animated version though so I can't really compare.

@Bear: Yeah I love foreign films too. I find that because they aren't "Hollywood" they tend to have much better stories. A lot of people don;t like them because you have to read subtitles and stuff but it doesn't bother me at all. And I much prefer reading subs than I do listening to English dubbed versions, they just sound wrong.

I've watched loads of foreign films recently though.

Amelie is brilliant, its so different and surreal. City of God is very good, its set in Brazil (subtitles not dubbed thank goodness) and its about a boy trying to be a photographer in the drug ridden slums, so you see the different characters lives. My favourite was Knock Out Ned.

The most annoying actress in Hollywood has to be Jenifer Aniston, she just angers me and I am not sure why.

The human version of 101 Dalmations is terrible, the cartoon is nowhere like the book but the human version is so far away from it its scary. Glenn Close is brilliant but the film isn't good. It's a shame Disney has died really, now its all Pixar.

I only liked the Toy Story films, I am so excited though because they are bringing out a third.

Do you like Tim Burton? He is probably my favourite director, along with the composer who always does the soundtracks to his films, Danny Elfman.

Also I do not know how anyone could ever watch Fox and the Hound without crying.

Amelie is brilliant, its so different and surreal. City of God is very good, its set in Brazil (subtitles not dubbed thank goodness) and its about a boy trying to be a photographer in the drug ridden slums, so you see the different characters lives. My favourite was Knock Out Ned.

You just named two of my favourite films of all time!

Have you seen City of Men as well? It's not as good as City of God imo but still a very good film.

Yeah who doesn't :P (actually pretty much everyone :( )

Well City of God is based on a Brazilian TV series of the same name, but you don't really need to have seen it to follow the film. According to people's reviews if you have seen it the main benefit will be knowing more about the characters. It's a similar style film to City of God (though it's not related, not a sequel or anything), it follows the lives of two best friends as they grow up (well, they're both about to turn 18), finding things out about their fathers' pasts which challeneges their friendship - all this going on while rival drug gangs in Rio de Janeiro are at war.

EDIT: IMDb link if you wanna check it out in more detail: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870090/

Haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth but it's on my to watch list

I only liked the Toy Story films, I am so excited though because they are bringing out a third.

Do you like Tim Burton? He is probably my favourite director, along with the composer who always does the soundtracks to his films, Danny Elfman.

Also I do not know how anyone could ever watch Fox and the Hound without crying.

I love Tim Burton! I've lost count of the times I've watched Nightmare Before Christmas. <3 :hurrhurr: Ultimate cult classic.

And yeah, you're a monster if you can watch Fox and the Hound and say you weren't touched by it. :(

Tim Burton's movies don't always fit my taste but are nonetheless great. I just got a hold of Pan's Labyrinth *cough* but have not seen it yet. Pixar is pure genius at making movies. Loved all their movies, even cars. Looking forward to see Up and Toys Story 3.

Going to quickly sum up stuff from this topic.

-City of God: one of my best friends LOVES this movie and has been telling me I NEED to watch it, was going to eventually but I might as well now. Seems like its pretty good, everyone here likes it, right?

-Foreign Films: I had to watch a bunch of them in my French class. All of them were just OK or crap to be honest, except I really liked this one, it was in black and white and about these two women who were teachers and murdered the principle who I believe was also one of their husbands. Well in the end he wasn't dead and his wife (one of the teachers) dies, and the other runs off with him. It was a while ago, I don't remember the title, but it was good.

-Pixar: I love all of their movies. My favorite was Ratatouille.