1. 1. ??

• Windows 7
    • Vista
    • XP
    • Ubuntu
    • Mac OS X
    • Other

^only the kernel is.

Actually, i find Linux faster than Windows.(except 7, 7 is the only OS made by MS that is capable of competing with Linux.)

Still, benchmarks prove it's about as fast as Vista.. It starts up programs a little faster, but the programs aren't being run any faster. Games may just gain 2 fps, no big deal. Really, I don't know why people love 7 so much, but hate Vista..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^only the kernel is.

Actually, i find Linux faster than Windows.(except 7, 7 is the only OS made by MS that is capable of competing with Linux.)

Still, benchmarks prove it's about as fast as Vista.. It starts up programs a little faster, but the programs aren't being run any faster. Games may just gain 2 fps, no big deal. Really, I don't know why people love 7 so much, but hate Vista..

Because out of personal use, Vista has given me nothing but trouble. Windows 7, however, has only posed one problem and it was Linksys with the problem, not 7. The only problem I had on 7 was that I couldn't connect to the internet because of my out-dated wireless cards.

Oh, and about gaming, my machine is hardly good enough to run Portal with XP((I have to lower just about every graphical setting)). When I started it up on 7, it ran beautifully, with high settings((automatically set by the game)), and didn't lag in the least((it's unplayable with those settings with my XP setup)). I don't even want to attempt to run Vista on this machine, because I doubt I'd do much more than rip my hair out from frustration. I highly doubt it would run faster than XP, even.

^only the kernel is.

Because out of personal use, Vista has given me nothing but trouble. Windows 7, however, has only posed one problem and it was Linksys with the problem, not 7. The only problem I had on 7 was that I couldn't connect to the internet because of my out-dated wireless cards.

Oh, and about gaming, my machine is hardly good enough to run Portal with XP((I have to lower just about every graphical setting)). When I started it up on 7, it ran beautifully, with high settings((automatically set by the game)), and didn't lag in the least((it's unplayable with those settings with my XP setup)). I don't even want to attempt to run Vista on this machine, because I doubt I'd do much more than rip my hair out from frustration. I highly doubt it would run faster than XP, even.

exactly what i was gonna say. vista has given me and my friends so much shit (im always being asked to fix shit argh lol) that i have totally thrown it away in consideration for an OS, even before 7 was coming out. i wouldve just put XP, probably will and dualboot with 7 or something because vista is just terrible. first thing, UAC, as if that doesnt drive you insane. "are you sure you wanna right click on this object?" "yes" "you need administrative permission to continue...allow?" :bashhead: so you can turn it off sure, but, why include such a dumb thing that just gives everyone the shits. and so many issues in vista , printers n stuff not working, games not working (eg san andreas WONT find a save file and its in the right place).

Mac ≠ Gaming. That's all I have to say on that. You CAN play games on a Mac but, if you wanna game on a computer, don't get Mac.

And user-friendly is definitely a joke. All those notices and crap that you can "just turn off", I tried turning off, multiple times, finding multiple settings to turn it off. No matter how many settings I changed or how many times I changed them, it still persisted. And clicking "do not ask me again" means nothing, apparently. Because it still asked me. Every 3-5 seconds((that isn't an exaggeration, either)).

There are 101 reasons that everyone hates vista, my main one is the fact that vista can't cope with 10 windows open, it just slows right down, ffs windows vista is slow on my dads machine and its a 3.3ghz quad with 8gbs of ram, ive actuly got in the pc gamer mag the image of the volution of windowsm it shows xp as a semi man, then vista and a mokey again facing the wrong way and 7 as a evolved man lol, windows 7 is better at everything, i dont know one thing vista does better, vista is crap full stop.

^only the kernel is.

exactly what i was gonna say. vista has given me and my friends so much shit (im always being asked to fix shit argh lol) that i have totally thrown it away in consideration for an OS, even before 7 was coming out. i wouldve just put XP, probably will and dualboot with 7 or something because vista is just terrible. first thing, UAC, as if that doesnt drive you insane. "are you sure you wanna right click on this object?" "yes" "you need administrative permission to continue...allow?" :bashhead: so you can turn it off sure, but, why include such a dumb thing that just gives everyone the shits. and so many issues in vista , printers n stuff not working, games not working (eg san andreas WONT find a save file and its in the right place).

Mac ≠ Gaming. That's all I have to say on that. You CAN play games on a Mac but, if you wanna game on a computer, don't get Mac.

Agreed.Vista was fail and overpriced, 7 is way better, Vista cannot compete with 7 in ANY possible way.

UAC turned on on everything i turned on, but i disabled it, yet it is annoying to leave the setting like that.

ok with all this OS discussion ummm

any ideas on how (a guide would be nice) to install Linux (ubuntu) onto a external hard drive and boot off it. i already know my laptop supports booting from USB so yeah. just the .. installing to USB hard drive is a bit of a tricky one for me. i dont wanna fuk it up and accidently overwrite windows or something.