Whats wrong with my computer?!

Butters!

I'm using my bro's computer to write this..

A few days ago (last Friday I think) my computer randomly crashed while I was doing somthing on the command prompt (I was changing the directory to do somthing), and my computer just froze up. In the end I had to turn the computer off at the switch. I turned it back on again, but the same thing happened while I was on some forums, only this time, the computer wouldn't switch back on afterwards - It would run for about 7 seconds (without the light coming on), and then just cut out. I had to get a techinial support guy round, and he ended up replacing the driver at the back of the PC (I don't know what it's called sorry), and the motherboard.

After that my computer started to work again. I later ran a virus scan, but AVG detected no viruses, so I figured that it must have just been something else, and that it wouldn't happen again. But then suddenly, only TWO DAYS after the Tech-Support guy came, my computer did the exact same thing, and now I can't get it to start. Now obviouslly, if I have to get my PC's components replaced twice a week, that'll be quite ridicullous, so I need to know whats happening quickly.

---Other Info---

I have just changed rooms, and my PC never did this in my old room.

I sometimes here crackeling in the wires below my PC, but I've checked it out, and can't see any sparks - or determain which lead is doing it.

I have a phone right next to my PC now

My computers speakers are also quite new, and I sometimes have to rearange the places that my extension leads are to make the speakers powerlead reach.

My AVG is quite old, and might not be able to detect a newlly created virus (if there is one.)

The tech support guy said he wasn't too sure what had happened, but he removed all my USB leads and things, telling me they might have shorted out and caused it (but I plugged them back in and things ran smoothly for 2 days.)

The only programs I have run are the internet, Civ IV, Oblivion, and SA:MP. My computer is about 1 year old

So what do you think is wrong with my computer - has it got a virus, is somthing short circuting and causing my PC to break, is it a program I'm running or is my PC just knackered and need replacing? Or is it somthing else? Please give a reply.

1. Look into getting your money back off the tech support guy, I'm assuming you paid him for whatever it is he claimed wasn't working.

2. Look into trying to get someone to lend you a power supply. Might be that which is cutting out on you.

Acctully it was free (sort of - we pay 5.99 monthly for cover)

OK, I checked in the case ealier and being 13, I decided that the best thing to do would be to pull wires at random and see what happens :bashhead: . Anyway, I found that if I unclip the wire (It's 4 wires, 2 yellow and 2 black, all bunched together) by the fan, the computer doesn't cut out - I haven't tested it with the moniter though . I plugged it back in though because I wasn't sure what it was for.

I think somthing must be short circuiting in my computer (because my laptop is coming off of the same power and it's running fine, touch-wood.) It might just be a case of my computer is broken, and "coincidently" might be dropped down the stairs for insurance money to buy a better PC.

*But for now I'll just go for a bath while IMing my friends. Got to bring an extention cord with me though because my laptops nearly out of power >.<. Horray for stupid teenage girls who electrcute themselves by accident in the bath!

the wire (It's 4 wires, 2 yellow and 2 black, all bunched together)

I think that's the cable that provides power to the CPU... weird. Maybe get your CPU connection with the motherboard / PSU fan checked for debris / bad connections. If that's the case, your computer will boot up, but just not do anything, except sit and buzz and make noise. I wouldnt go probing around with that stuff yourself though if you're not familiar with building PC's... getting the CPU fan can be a bitch to get back on, and if you don't connect your PSU properly, you can completely clusterfuck everything.

1. Look into getting your money back off the tech support guy, I'm assuming you paid him for whatever it is he claimed wasn't working.

2. Look into trying to get someone to lend you a power supply. Might be that which is cutting out on you.

OK, I checked in the case ealier and being 13, I decided that the best thing to do would be to pull wires at random and see what happens :bashhead: . Anyway, I found that if I unclip the wire (It's 4 wires, 2 yellow and 2 black, all bunched together) by the fan, the computer doesn't cut out - I haven't tested it with the moniter though . I plugged it back in though because I wasn't sure what it was for.

I think somthing must be short circuiting in my computer (because my laptop is coming off of the same power and it's running fine, touch-wood.) It might just be a case of my computer is broken, and "coincidently" might be dropped down the stairs for insurance money to buy a better PC.

*But for now I'll just go for a bath while IMing my friends. Got to bring an extention cord with me though because my laptops nearly out of power >.<. Horray for stupid teenage girls who electrcute themselves by accident in the bath!

yer the wire you describe is the one to power the CPU...

llama you were right. yeah check the cpu is properly in (no reason that it shouldnt be unless youve been fking around inside the case) otherwise maybe your mobo or power supply is fked.

im leaning towards PSU. similar situation ive seen and its been PSU. buy a new one for like $30

*But for now I'll just go for a bath while IMing my friends. Got to bring an extention cord with me though because my laptops nearly out of power >.< . Horray for stupid teenage girls who electrcute themselves by accident in the bath!

yer the wire you describe is the one to power the CPU...

llama you were right. yeah check the cpu is properly in (no reason that it shouldnt be unless youve been fking around inside the case) otherwise maybe your mobo or power supply is fked.

im leaning towards PSU. similar situation ive seen and its been PSU. buy a new one for like $30

Yeah, I'd say PSU Also, but I definetly wouldn't buy one for $30. It'll just fail again......

Get a good 500W buy a good brand like Corsair, or Antec.

Note:

DON'T BUY A CORSAIR CPU. IT'S A WASTE OF YOUR MONEY. Seriously. Wayyy to expensive, and they just fail within a few weeks.

waaait corsair CPU whaaaaaaaaaaa, im guessing you mean PSU, bad experience maybe? lol. my friend had HX620 and it was fine for him. ah well.

@Raybob

I recommended a cheap one since it seems his computer is reasonably old and I would've thought spending upwards of $100 (AUD) was really unjustified giving how old it is. Anyway just get a decent brand 400W PSU or better yet, post your computer specs here. The pentium4 i have outside was running on 200W LOL but that died (it was the one HP included, cheap bastards), its got 430W now and runs fine. im just saying you dont need a excellent PSU when a cheaper one does the same thing no problem. If he had a full SLI setup and quad core and yadayadayada then sure but for what he has it for, no point.

Edited by WRX22B1998