Microsoft is fined 290 million dollars.

Damjan

Actually Win7 is as fast as XP in benchmarks, way faster than Vista. Especially on low-powered machines like my work netbook, and especially with startup time.

Yes, on low-end ones, 7 is quite a bit faster, but on any high-end computer, it's about as fast as Vista is (which is just slightly slower than XP. Even faster than XP for games.).

Any recent computer is better off runing Vista than XP if you'd ask me..

Actually Win7 is as fast as XP in benchmarks, way faster than Vista. Especially on low-powered machines like my work netbook, and especially with startup time.

Yes, on low-end ones, 7 is quite a bit faster, but on any high-end computer, it's about as fast as Vista is (which is just slightly slower than XP. Even faster than XP for games.).

Just because it can run on higher-end PCs doesn't mean it's better. That just means it's a resource hog. And "recent" doesn't mean "high-end". They are still throwing out insanely low-end PCs, packaged with Vista. I've only seen one laptop in the store with XP since Vista came out.

Just the fact that Windows 7 can run well on practically any system that can run XP says a lot.

Oh, and they can probably pay that off from down the back of the sofa. I bet they're proper gutted.

as said a few times yer. this is like the shrapnel in their pocket they forgot to take out when they put their stuff on to wash.

but really linux is good, windows is good also. i had ubuntu installed, and it lasted a whole day and i got rid of it. why? because so much shit doesnt work on it. i cant update my iPod, last FM wasnt working, everything is a pain in the ass to install...

The sum isn't a biggie, heh, for them, 290 million $ is like for us 50 $.

Not really sure that's the case. Yes, Microsoft has a massive turnover, but we spend almost all of the money we make. We have 100,000 staff to pay, hundreds of buildings to rent/maintain, massive electricity bills, transport costs, stationery & postage costs, not to mention marketing, R&D and capital investments like buying other companies and building more offices. There are better uses for our money (even profit) than just giving it away to other companies or courts.

Just because it can run on higher-end PCs doesn't mean it's better. That just means it's a resource hog. And "recent" doesn't mean "high-end". They are still throwing out insanely low-end PCs, packaged with Vista. I've only seen one laptop in the store with XP since Vista came out.

Just the fact that Windows 7 can run well on practically any system that can run XP says a lot.

Point being, even mid-range computers will be faster with Vista instead of XP. 7 being about as fast as Vista (on average it's just a mere 5% faster if I'm not mistaken).

Mid-range being E7200, 4GB 800 MHz RAM DDR2 (pretty darn standard these days), HD3750 or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...