The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Butters!

So I've been reading around and it seems that the a fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls series is going to be released in summer 2010. Most people I've heard from think that it will be called "Skyrim" and will be set in the Northern Tamriel province of Skyrim, altough at the moment, nothing is too official.

Wikipedia:

In late October 2008, shortly after the release of Fallout 3, Bethesda's Publishing Executive, Paul Oughton, indicated that the series' fifth installment could be released in 2010. Zenimax, the owner of Bethesda Softworks, had trademarked the name "Skyrim" in 2006, but its relation to the fifth installment of the series is uncertain. In a recent interview, Bethesda has "no current plans" for another title in the series.

The Fallout 3 publisher announced that the next instalment in its popular RPG series will be available for Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC, with no plans for a release on Nintendo consoles.

Anyway, here is what I want to see improved from Oblivion.

1 - Level Scaling

Keep this the fuck out of my game. Unlike in Morrowind where you could get a high blade skill and strut around a town like you own the place, in Oblivion you couldn't. The world leveled with you, and although in some aspects this was good, overall it was annoying.

First off, level scaling eliminates the point of leveling, because everyone and everything revoles around you, so there is no difference between attempting somthing at level one, and attempting it at level 20.

Another thing that makes this a bed concept for an RPG, is that they didn't limit the items people got as they leveled, so by the time you are level 15, every farmer and his mum has deadric armour.

It removed the whole aspect of accomplishment from the game, because whereas in Morrowind, some places would require you to be a certain level to get past the monsters, in Oblivion that doesn't happen because no matter what level you are, monsters advance through the levels aswell.

2 - Limited Content

Leveled content is another one of those features that Bethesda added to "mainstream" The Elder Scrolls at the expense of gameplay and core Elder Scrolls fans. Leveled content is completely inappropriate for a game in the Elder Scroll Series, it breaks immersion and it turns everything into a giant single-player MMO that instances everything to your level.

Leveled stores are bad. There is no point to shopping around because every store has the same items. And leveled stores also give the impression that stores revolve around your character and that their stock revolves around your character as your characters level determines what is in a stores inventory.

Leveled thievery is bad. Every potential robbery target is the same. Manors which are populated by rich people have the same items to steal as a shack or more moderately sized house. What determines the items in the house to rob is, you guessed it, your character's level. If my thief character goes through the trouble of breaking into a manor, I would expect to see riches and valuable items, not the same crap that's in a beggars bedroll.

3 - Poor Voice Acting

A team of 10 or 20 voice actors could easily produce unique dialog and voices for each character in the game and at a fraction of the cost compared to Patrick Stewart.

As a result of the above, voice acting is generic. Many voice overs are designed to be used by multiple characters and as such, they are lacking in mood and sound choppy when linked together. Beggars are the worst example of this. When you first talk to a beggar, they talk in an old raspy voice that one would, stereotypically, associate with someone begging on the street. The minute you ask a beggar about the rumors, they start to speak in a voice of high nobility. It's shocking Bethesda released the game in this condition - how hard would it have been to re-record the rumors in a beggars voice?

4-Better Map Boundries

In oblivion, if you tried to leave the map and venture out of Cyrodil, you where stopped by a huge invisible wall spanning the length of the game, and were automaticly turned back. Now this wouldn't have been that much of a problam if they had made an effort to what the message you recieve for reaching the wall is; "You can't go this way, turn back."

So what do you want to see from TES V?

Bethesda today confirmed that there will NO fifth installment in the series. At least for quite a while.

Today? Source?

===EDIT===

Oh just found it. Funny that they announce this the day I start a topic for it. Epic Fail on my behalf :P

Anyway they said they are working on a new TES game but they arent talking about it untill theyre nearly done. So probably not in 2010 then :(

Edited by Butters!

Bethesda today confirmed that there will NO fifth installment in the series. At least for quite a while.

Today? Source?

===EDIT===

Oh just found it. Funny that they announce this the day I start a topic for it. Epic Fail on my behalf :P

Anyway they said they are working on a new TES game but they arent talking about it untill theyre nearly done. So probably not in 2010 then :(

No, they're not even working on it, dude.

Today? Source?

===EDIT===

No, they're not even working on it, dude.

Opps misread it... again. I'll just stop reading things.