Lockerbie Bomber Released

Thomas.

Megrahi  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Megrahi should've been released?

• Yes, I think he is innocent
    • Yes, I think he should see his family one last time
    • Yes
    • No
    • No, he did not show sympathy to the victims so neither should he.
  2. 2. Do you condemn the celebrations that he received in Libya?

I know this is old news but I am wondering what you guys thought about the decision of the Scottish Government to release the man responsible for the deaths of 270 people on the 21st December 1988 in Lockerbie, Scotland.

Details about the worst terrorist attack on British soil:

Wikipedia

Details about the release of the bomber from different perspectives:

BBC - Sky News - The Times - New York Times

Edited by Thomas.
  • Like 1

I see that alot of Americans don't want this man to be released.

I mean, yes this man may have been charged for killing 200+ people. But think about this; He wouldn't technically be the only one to be charged right? There are probably still others who participated in this bombing, of which could still be at large. I think releasing him under compassionate grounds is fair. This man is slowly dying everyday (The man's got prostate cancer). But on the other side, they killed so many people. It's somewhat also unfair on that side too.

I think the decision they took after all is going to be fair, I mean he's not going to exactly be living for long, he may not even be fit to fight, so he's not really worth arguing about. There's really not another option for him, it's really just a slow death for him.

• Like 1

From what I have seen so far, some people in Scotland think he is innocent and there needs to be a public enquiry. He (Al Megrahi) actually said that he had two choices, one being staying in prison and hoping the truth came out after he died, or two say he committed the crimes and have a chance to go home.

For me though, whether he did or didn't commit the crimes, if he has been found guilty then he shouldn't have been released, now he is released whats the limit for other criminals who are going to die, should they be released too?

After he was released though, the celebrations in Libya were inevitable, they consider this man a national hero. Plus the celebrations were planned, they had Scotting flags in the filming I have saw.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Chances are he did what he believed was right, what he was brought up to know and understand, but that obviously doesn't make it alright. Fighting against soldiers is one thing, but innocent people? There's no need.

Coming from our perspective as the western world, the victims of terrorism (and maybe the aggressors), this was a perfect opportunity to show that we will NOT surrender to terrorism, that we will not show mercy on those who kill dozens of innocent people. Yet now all the terrorists know that no matter what they do to us, we will still show compassion and give them all the rights they want.

I find it frustrating that in many situatations (not this one), if an air marshal or armed police officer were there, they would probably be shot dead. But if not, they get calmly arrested and go to court and serve a couple of years then get out. Makes a mockery of the entire system.

Regardless of whether he's ill, or not ill, jail is the only option for someone like him. It's quite ridiculous that terrorists are now getting less and less jail time, because of human rights. All the governments in the UK are weak and pathetic, and have no idea of what the real problems are. They're the ones who would quite happily blow up a skyscraper to get to a wanted man, that's the arse-about-face technique they use for pretty much everything.

From what I have seen so far, some people in Scotland think he is innocent and there needs to be a public enquiry. He (Al Megrahi) actually said that he had two choices, one being staying in prison and hoping the truth came out after he died, or two say he committed the crimes and have a chance to go home.

For me though, whether he did or didn't commit the crimes, if he has been found guilty then he shouldn't have been released, now he is released whats the limit for other criminals who are going to die, should they be released too?

After he was released though, the celebrations in Libya were inevitable, they consider this man a national hero. Plus the celebrations were planned, they had Scotting flags in the filming I have saw.

I think that he is innocent to a certain extent after weeks of reading articles in Saturday newpapers it is turning me into thinking that he was not responsible for the attack. I read that five CIA officials had deliberately missed the flight from London Heathrow and that a man was paid something like $1.5 million by the United States in order to give evidence against Megrahi. I think there should be another public enquiry into the incident, I think that it was the right decision for the Scottish Government to release Megrahi as many are having second thoughts about this guy actually doing it.

Have any of you read the letter that the FBI sent to the Scottish Government? Click Here to read it.

I'd say having 3 months to live encourages another attack.

3 months is not even that long. He's been stuck in Prison for some years and hasn't seen his family. I think 3 months of spending with his family is what he's going to be doing. He isn't that much of an idiot to do something like that again. What you said there sounds stupid.

But the truth is that the whole system is flawed. No way they can make perfect decisions at all. I can see what Gerard was saying, if terrorists kill so many people but yet they get released after a few years, the system doesn't make sense at all.

If he commits another attack now, I'm going to fucking lol so much at the Scottish government.

It's not a decision by the Scottish government, it's a decision made by a certain person. Can't remember his position though.

Kenny MacAskill, Scottish Justice Secretary and First Minister Alex Salmond. Basically, the SNP were in favour of Megrahi's release. So far statements have been made against the decision from the Prime Minister of the UK Gordon Brown, the United States President Barack Obama, Former First Minister of Scotland Jack McConnell and Hilary Clinton. I think most head of states are appalled at the decision apart from perhaps the Libyan leader, the leader of Scotland, and perhaps several other African leaders.

If he commits another attack now, I'm going to fucking lol so much at the Scottish government.

I don't think he will commit another crime now, he only has about 3 months to live.

Approximately. Supposedly. Seemed well enough to fly to another country and go on TV several times.

I'd say having 3 months to live encourages another attack.

Seriously in your right mind, do you honestly think 3 months is enough time for him to plan and prep a terror attack and then execute it (very difficult since he won't be allowed to leave Libya).

Who says he has to do it alone? Anyway, it wouldn't have to be him. But the 3-months thing would make it easier.

Regardless of whether he's ill, or not ill, jail is the only option for someone like him.

I could think of another option...

From what I have seen so far, some people in Scotland think he is innocent and there needs to be a public enquiry.

After he was released though, the celebrations in Libya were inevitable, they consider this man a national hero.

Innocent? Lybia as a country accepted responsibility for the attacks a few years ago, in return for sanctions being lifted. Whilst that may have been a bargaining piece, he's still probably guilty (from what I've seen).

Innocent? Lybia as a country accepted responsibility for the attacks a few years ago, in return for sanctions being lifted. Whilst that may have been a bargaining piece, he's still probably guilty (from what I've seen).

Yeah they may have accepted responsibility but it doesn't mean Al Megrahi committed the crime. From what I have see in the news there are some people who are still unconvinced that he committed the crimes, there was a man (who's daughter died from the attack) said that Megrahi was probably innocent. I, personally don't know if he is guilty or not.

If he is sentenced for life in prison then he should get life in prison. The only way he should be released is in a box if I'm totally honest.

Some papers are saying that there is a deal with Libya for oil.

Definetly a deal was made, when oil gets involved in anything, things happen. Plus notice how Colonel Gaddafi personally thanked Mr Brown and also Gaddafi's son saying there was some deals involved (even though this was denied by our government).