What did you dislike about GTA 3?

I personally loved GTA3, sure there were issues with it but Rockstar can be forgiven for certain things.

GTA3 was the first game of its kind (free-roaming with weapons and large city). Driver 2, sure, but you couldn't actually use the handgun nor could you traverse such a large, relatively high-texture city on one disc. Technology was more limited back then. GTA3 was obviously in development since 1998 or 1999, some resources such as a radio advertisement for Flashback FM (which commented that the player was in the 90s) show this. So not only were they limited technologically in that aspect but they were using the shittiest engine that ever shat: Renderware.

Yet GTA3 was probably why so many people bought PS2s then. The PS2 was successful because it was such great exclusives that people wanted. GTA, Madden football, etc...Then Xbox came into the picture and since it gained the rights to GTA and Madden, as well as having Halo as an exclusive, among other games, its successor clearly beat the everliving shit out of PS3 in the next generation of video games.

But that's off-topic. GTA3 did have some problems like crashing, not being well-optimized for PC or PS2, and a sometimes bad camera, but it was still one of the best games I've ever played.

I personally loved GTA3, sure there were issues with it but Rockstar can be forgiven for certain things.

GTA3 was the first game of its kind (free-roaming with weapons and large city). Driver 2, sure, but you couldn't actually use the handgun nor could you traverse such a large, relatively high-texture city on one disc. Technology was more limited back then. GTA3 was obviously in development since 1998 or 1999, some resources such as a radio advertisement for Flashback FM (which commented that the player was in the 90s) show this. So not only were they limited technologically in that aspect but they were using the shittiest engine that ever shat: Renderware.

Yet GTA3 was probably why so many people bought PS2s then. The PS2 was successful because it was such great exclusives that people wanted. GTA, Madden football, etc...Then Xbox came into the picture and since it gained the rights to GTA and Madden, as well as having Halo as an exclusive, among other games, its successor clearly beat the everliving shit out of PS3 in the next generation of video games.

But that's off-topic. GTA3 did have some problems like crashing, not being well-optimized for PC or PS2, and a sometimes bad camera, but it was still one of the best games I've ever played.

True dat :)..

My favorite game when I was little and probably still my favorite.

I agree, GTA III was one of my favourite GTA games.

Edited by GTA Don

• 3 months later...

Things I dislike.

Graphics - I like the graphics in LCS, they were nice and bright, but in GTA 3, the graphics are dull and make the city look dark, grey, and too depressing.

Physics - you can't burst tires, cars handle terribly, they also flip over in less than 5 seconds, and the police and FBI can kill you too easily, and it's impossible to get into a chase without getting killed, not fun.

Atmosphere - the atmosphere is not very bright, nearly everything looks grey and makes it feel like a fark,colourless hell.

Small size of the City - Liberty City is based on New York, but it is not totally accurate in this game. For one the size is all wrong, New York City is huge and the surrounding area has allot more to offer too. GTA IV fixed this problem and turned Liberty City into it's true self.

Also, GTA 3's rendition of Liberty City is all dark and grey, I have been to the real New York this game is emulating and it is much better, it is not dark like in GTA3 and only a next-gen game like GTA IV can accurately appear as and simulate the real life experience and real version of the City while the GTA3 rendition is not very accurate.]

So, I'm not denying that GTA3 is a good game, it is, LCS was better in a lot of ways, mostly graphics and atmosphere and GTA IV is the best depiction, but I prefer the real City to the gaming version any day.

Edited by TNF

• 3 weeks later...

The thing i hate most about GTA3 is this:

The people who think they can pick holes in a game so epic for it's time, and one that was so revolutionary, and that should be, in my opinion, regarded as the turning point of gaming, the world, and industry over.

Now, i'm not saying it was perfect. Nor am i saying that it is up to scratch with current games. What i am sayong is that alot of people seem to be so obsessed with their shiny PS3's and 360's AWESOME GFX LOLOLZ, that they miss how epicly world - changing this game was.

You couldn't swim. Find me a game of such freedom, such brilliance, that you could swim in, other than one in which that very thing was the main objective.

No change of clothes - Boohoo - see above.

Physics - Ok, so renderware is bollocks. If a better, more flexible system existed at the time,. i'm sure they'd have used it.

The point people seem to miss is that this was the pinnacle of gaming excellence. And if it wasn't for how brilliant it was (oh, i forget, you guys think it's shit :P) then we wouldn't have even been close to getting IV.

G'night.