A little survey

Chris

Mobile TGTAP Survey  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a mobile phone capable of browsing the Internet?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you own a handheld device (Sony PSP, Nintendo DSi or a PDA etc.) capable of browsing the Internet?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. No phone or device? Would you browse the Internet on a portable device if you had one?

• Yes
    • Probably
    • Probably not
    • No
    • I answered 'yes' to the above questions
  4. 4. How often do you use your device to browse the Internet?

• Every day
    • A few times a week
    • A few times a month
    • Rarely
    • Never
    • I don't have a phone/device
  5. 5. How often do you visit thegtaplace.com on your device?

• Regularly
    • Occasionally
    • Never
    • I don't have a phone/device
  6. 6. Would you visit thegtaplace.com often if there was a mobile version

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
  7. 7. What would you like to see on a mobile version of thegtaplace.com?

• Homepage / News
    • Content
    • Forums
    • Downloads
    • Other stuff (post a comment to tell us)

Hope everyone's had a good Christmas. While we're getting a lot more traffic than usual I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask a you all a few questions.

I'm currently debating whether or not to develop a mobile/lite/portable version of The GTA Place. However, I don't know if it's worth it or not.

To find out if it is or not, I'd appreciate it if all of you could take a minute or so to answer the poll attached to this topic. Please answer honestly, it's no help to us if you vote dishonestly. Even if you don't give a shit about a mobile version of this website, please vote that way so we are aware of your opinion.

If you have any additional comments to make you may post them here.

Thanks!

Considering the most accessible way of me getting internet is on my iPhone, this would appeal to me a lot. The current mobile site isn't very good and I usually end up changing to the normal skin but that isn't great either because the size is too large for a small mobile screen. Like I said, most of the time the only way I can visit the forum is through my phone.

Just being able to access the forums would be fine with me. Being able to view the individual game screenshots and other content would be a plus.

Well sometimes I go on TGTAP on my phone (Nokia N81) , PSP is pretty well useless for web browsing, it runs out of memory if there's more than one picture on the page, but thats another story.

The only thing with the phone is cos its 320x240 you have to scroll a lot which makes things a bit annoying...

Well I do have a phone and a PSP capable of going to TGTAP but I have some bugs logging in and the forums are way too big for these so I think a mobile version of the TGTAP's homepage and forums would be enough as that's what I most visit and besides, who would download mods by their phones? Only if people didn't have Internet at their computers.

And I agree with warrior on the cost thingy, when on my phone, visiting TGTAP costs me some money...

I could never connect to TGTAP on my phone as I think it was too large for my phone to handle in terms of memory (don't matter about pictures at all though). Yet I could access websites like the BBC, Facebook and Youtube with ease - all of whom had a mobile site. This was several months ago but I don't think it has changed. I tried going on it on the period I was largely inactive from here in October but it wouldn't work. I don't go on the internet on my phone because when I had internet it was free. I need to keep topping up £15 to do that.

Anyway, I think that people should have access to the forums so's to check on posts and create posts of their own. The homepage and news should definitely be in it as that's the main page of the website. Content might not be necessary but would make life easier for those who have to keep running to their PC to find information about any of GTA games. Downloads are unnecessary as you can't physically use them on your mobile phone, it would be a pointless waste of time and effort.

My current phone is a few years old, and it costs a lot to go on the net, but I still took the survey. If I had a newer phone, like the iPhone, then that wouldn't be a problem. It would definitely be a good idea to do, but might not generate that much interest because it's still fairly niche, using the net on the move.

I actually check this site on my LG Voyager at times out of boredom, and I have posted with my PSP a couple times before but I don't even play my PSP anymore. Not really a gamer anymore in all honesty though.:/ I think a mobile version of this site would be cool, but I don't know how much effort it'd take to make it and how much of a good impact it'd even do, so I'm cool with or without a mobile version.

Just don't force it. I hate going to a site and being redirected to the mobile version.

I'd like most to stay the same. Perhaps just a slight different lay-out. But don't sacrifice features for it.

On that topic, maybe there could be a mini page where you choose whether to visit the original site or the mobile version?

It's strange how I could access the full site on my old, crapper phone than I can now on a new, better phone. Technology works in mysterious ways. I had posted once or twice on my old phone but I think those posts can't be found as it was that long ago. I use my phone quite a lot of times for accessing and posting statuses on social networking sites, most notably Facebook and most recently Twitter.

It would be cool if TGTAP had a feature where you could post your status by text or get feeds from particular topics you choose by text but that would be costly to both TGTAP and the member using this feature, if he or she doesn't have a free text tariff like I do.

Well, Im using my Phone right now.

But i agree that TGTAP should have the mobile version..

I heard that Invision made a mobile plugin for mobile users (unconfirmed), and it was wonderful.

It can help Opera Mini and iPhone users to experience the news and forum MORE EASIER.

A portable version of TGTAP would be amazing. I prefer to show only 3 things, the home page (News), the forums and downloads. The downloads can be used for downloading only stuff for portables (Mobile Phones, Ipod Touch etc.), so it would be good. At least it will attract the attention of us mobile users, which means we will make fairly great use of it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One is in development, yes. It'll probably start off pretty basic. If we start seeing increased usage we'll put more effort into it and make it nicer to use.

Still, there's not really too much we can do with it aside from making it more accessible to mobile devices. The "Lo-Fi" skin can be used on the forums. No point making downloads database since people will need to be on their PCs/laptops to use any of them.

• 5 years later...

In regard to the above, I just got a Smartphone in hopes of a more affordable plan or to do with the support program I'm on.... the quote-unquote OBAMAPHONE  ... Samsung Prevail 2 using Jellybean OS Android, my main use has been based on PC to miniSD card types of data presently offline, and portable aka mobile

I only once so far got on a WiFi Hotspot to do updates, but that worked, so once I feel safe about logging into a mobile device wireless, I'd be more inclined to do so, but the Smartphone, even with 2 to 4 core processing, will never eclipse laptop or PC use for power with little compromise, most people now embrace the smallscreen, all my life, been trying to get away from it!!

On topic note though, I'm interested in what my Prevail2 [Ring] model with Snapdragon Qualcomm processor and Jellybean 4.2 can do.... if I remember the stats right.