The Meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything

Deji

Here, you can have a massive discussion about stuff like:

• How was the world created?
  • Is the big bang theory true?
  • Is evolution true?
  • Have we been created by some higher power? (God)
  • Why are we here?
  • What is beyond the universe?

Basically, just theories of our existance and such.

I'll start by saying that no matter what, there is no real way to know why we are here and what the purpose of our existance is. But let's have a bash, eh?

Edited by Deji

I'm a bit of a creationist, yet I acknowledge the Big Bang theory and stuff. I've read that the "Let there be light" lines have been compared and attributed to Big Bang, so nuff said.

I was just about to yell at you for being crazy, but actually that is an interesting point. The Big Bang theory just explains what happens from the instant the bang occurs, and is surprisingly detailed for the first few milliseconds of the universe's existence - explaining how energy and matter come about. It's currently impossible to say what existed before, what started it, and what exists outside the known universe.

I like the theory that says the universe actually contracted backwards in time to the single dot of infinite energy from which the big bang happened - so there was never a starting point. Life and observation as we know it could not exist, which is why that sort of event can't really be understood

But I suppose intelligent design could also have started the big bang. Even if the universe was left on its own devices since the big bang, with no interference, that could be the case.

I firmly do NOT believe that ANY god interferes with day-to-day human life. Praying and going to church makes no difference to the fundamental laws of physics. If you're gonna get hit by a truck or killed by TB, it's gonna happen. However, maybe something else exists that started the universe, maybe it still exists now, but it's not an old man in the sky with a jewish kid who listens to prayers.

I do believe in the Big Bang Theory. It just makes more sense to me. Even I could find out why we are here, I don't think I would actually want to. I like the mystery and also that mystery allows me to live my life as I please. I wouldnt to think I had some divine reason as I could easily fail that. Also the mystery is more interesting.

To me, the meaning of life for any person should be to reach their absolute maximum potential whatever that may be.

That isn't as simple as you may think. What counts as maximum potential? Earning the most money? Being famous? Being happiest possible? Having loads of fun but a shit job? Working hard at the expense of fun? Having the best job? Being in charge of loads of stuff? Making the biggest positive difference to the world? Making the biggest impact?

Different things are important to different people. I want an awesome job, whilst other people value fun more.

To me, the meaning of life for any person should be to reach their absolute maximum potential whatever that may be.

That isn't as simple as you may think. What counts as maximum potential? Earning the most money? Being famous? Being happiest possible? Having loads of fun but a shit job? Working hard at the expense of fun? Having the best job? Being in charge of loads of stuff? Making the biggest positive difference to the world? Making the biggest impact?

Different things are important to different people. I want an awesome job, whilst other people value fun more.

Yeah I agree the quote is quite vague, basically the words 'maximum potential' are the words that have different meanings for different people. For me I would say job and money would be an important factor, others might see love and marriage ashte most important. For example people who I would say have reacher their maximum potential would be people like David Beckham, Cheryl Cole, Sir Alan Sugar, Bill Gates, Jade Goody, I know these are famous people but its quite hard to know any non-famous successful peope.

As much as I respect your opinion Sylar, it does raise at least 50% of my eyebrows. Allow me to explain.

David Beckham, Cheryl Cole, Sir Alan Sugar, Bill Gates, Jade Goody

None of these people would have been anywhere near as fractionally successful if it wasn't for the media. You said yourself it's hard to name non - famous successful people. Therefore, before popular media and technology provided people with this vein for global fame, could they have reached their full potential?

As much as I respect your opinion Sylar, it does raise at least 50% of my eyebrows. Allow me to explain.

David Beckham, Cheryl Cole, Sir Alan Sugar, Bill Gates, Jade Goody

None of these people would have been anywhere near as fractionally successful if it wasn't for the media. You said yourself it's hard to name non - famous successful people. Therefore, before popular media and technology provided people with this vein for global fame, could they have reached their full potential?

I agree with you, the media has made them (apart from Bill Gates) better but I still think they would have been successful even without the media (apart from Jade Goody), I mean Beckham won PL and a CL title with Manchester United, Chery Cole has had a cople of no. 1 with Girls Aloud, I do agree though the media has taken them further.

I think someone will know when they've reached their potential, probably through marriage or career, I do think though a lot of people don't reach their maximum potential due to numerous things.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe in not believing anything. Because we will never know what created the universe.

Still, it's fun to think that the universe was created either by some sort of god or the big bang, yet something would've had to have created them both. But maybe that's just where our human minds stop us from knowing. Maybe things don't have to be created to exist, no matter how confusing that might be to us.

Ever watched the show "The Big Bang Theory"? Gives a few fun thoughts on stuff like this.

EDIT: The meaning of David Beckham, Bill Gates or Jade Goody will forever be a mystery.

Edited by Deji

[*]How was the world created?

I doubt it was ever created it just evolved and if it was "created" it had to be somehow outside/before what we call "time". Kinda hard question and unsolvable too for the average individual so why keep speculating?

[*]Is the big bang theory true?

Notice the little word there theory.

[*]Is evolution true?

Probably yes, up to a point of course, that point is now but it will continue.

[*]Have we been created by some higher power? (God)

God can be interpretated/viewed in many ways but IMO it is basically the amazing "higher" force that holds the equilibrum of things and if it works on a larger scale ( ie the entire Universe ) and/or on every sole individual is forever a mistery. I prefer to believe it works equally on both.

[*]Why are we here?

Massive series of coincidences combined with our ability to acknowledge our existation. As to the "What is the meaning of life?" question possibly raised, I agree with those who said it is simply to live, nothing more nothing less because it is the starting point of everything.

[*]What is beyond the universe?

Hence the Universe is infinite there is nothing outside it, just inside.

All in all this is just what I think at the time.

Edited by Gycu Brun X

• 3 months later...

I guess I believe in the big bang theory and sometimes, when I feel the need to be comforted, I let myself believe there is a greater power. Some call that power God.

But I don't focus on that. You only live once. Just live. So I don't understand why some people think it's completely necessary to shove these pretty pointless beliefs down everyone else's throat. And I say pretty pointless because the thing is, people are curious and would like to know the answer to these questions that are actually impossible to answer. That's completely all right, but it's silly to hurt yourself and other people over it. Just accept that we're here to begin with and enjoy yourself.

Edited by helloonurse