France Bans the Burka

Bear

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should France impose a fine for women who Burka's in public?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

Everyone should have the right to practise their religion, as long as it doesn't obstruct anyone else, I think the open-faced hijab should be allowed, although fully covering a womans face should be discouraged.

1st bold: Definitely.

2nd bold: They SHOULD be fined for that.I mean come on, she married someone and he has to wear that, that... scarf or something so other couldn't see her beauty so they would fall in love with her.What happened to seeing if she wears a wedding ring on her hand?

I can see why France done that, it's not uncommon to see people wearing them in the street in a European town or city anymore. People should be allowed to practice their religion but when you come into a Christian country, you can't expect everything to go your way especially when the majority of the country do not practice Muslim or whatever the religion in question.

If i'm not allowed to walk into a petrol station wearing my motorcycle helmet with the visor open, then women shouldn't be allowed to wear burkas in similar situations. Yes, it's fine that they should follow their religion, but when it provides such anonymity in this day and age (yes, i'm 70) it just isn't right.

I agree there.

I know its in Euros, but they put in pounds on the news. Also they aren't for religous reasons, people have studied the Koran, say that it doesn't say in there that women have to wear them. I can't wear a hoodie in some pubs because I could cover my face so I think a fine should be imposed, as these are Christian/Catholic countries, part of becoming a citizen of a new country is to follow their customs. If I went to a Muslim country I wouldn't get away with wearing a mini skirt and a tank top.

Yes definitely. For the reasons outlined by people in this topic already. Double standards fucking suck so either none of us can cover our faces or all of us can. No one cares what religion you practice, it's irrelevant.

And you know what, if it really means that much to them, why live in another country? Why not choose a Muslim country in the first place where you can get away with these sorts of shenanigans.

Yes definitely. For the reasons outlined by people in this topic already. Double standards fucking suck so either none of us can cover our faces or all of us can. No one cares what religion you practice, it's irrelevant.

And you know what, if it really means that much to them, why live in another country? Why not choose a Muslim country in the first place where you can get away with these sorts of shenanigans.

Completely agree with you on that, Chris.

What problem does the Burka cause anyone here?

There's been some debate on the terminology, but, presuming you're on about the scarf used to cover a woman's face, (this is what bear intended to describe in the OP) it's that their identity is as near as completely hidden. This can make it incredibly hard to identify them should they commit a crime, and easy to hide distinctive marks that can result in a positive identification, again, should they commit a crime.

Yeah in general it's not a problem to anyone, same as youths wearing hoodies isn't.

It's just in the event of a crime it makes it incredibly difficult to identify them (you don't see hair colour, distinctive facial features or scarring etc.). It's against the law (or something) to wear your hood up in a store for this reason, yet it's not against the law to wear a Burka, despite it covering even more than a hood does.

It's basically allowed most places because politicians have no balls and are afraid to do anything that could be construed as "against Muslims" and thus be branded as racist and become the target of abuse and such. But what in fact results is double standards... so you get an increased amount of people showing disrespect for Muslims because they're able to get away with all this shit and they aren't even in their own country.

It's lots of little things like this that make small questionable parties such as the BNP grow because more people side with them when stuff like this is topical.

• 4 months later...

This is sarcastic. Is this the Western countries' retaliation from the fact that Islamic countries are banning women from wearing clothes that bear skin?

Well, I just have thought of that, though the law obviously hits directly the religions of the concerned. This is just stupid...

...although I agree that they shouldn't wear that Niqab (it's hideous).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the idea is that when women wear some of these religious clothes then it covers up their face and makes identification very difficult. When you go to many shops you must take your moterbike helmet off so CCTV can identify you and get clear images of peoples faces. Why not the same for Muslim women?

Qft.