Sonys motion controller named

The Bossman

After all the talk about 'will it be called Arc, GEM' etc, the final confirmed name is Playstation Move. It would have been Arc but Microsoft have a series of mouses called Arc, so they had to make a quick change.

ps-move-2.jpg

playstation_move_controllers.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=238562

And the Nunchuck used with your left hand is rather blandly called the 'Sub Controller'. The amount of lag for the controller is 1 frame, which isn't even worth thinking about, it's so insignificant. It's very reminiscent of the Wii controller, but they perfected the design for motion control so I don't see why other companies can't draw inspiration as well. I suppose now with SIngstar, and Buzz, and Eyepet, and now this, casual gaming is definitely here to stay on PS3, for better or worse. I'm personally not interested, I will always prefer controllers for the precise movements and total control you have.

They could even have been more creative with the design, it's a Wii rip-off. It looks fucking hilarious as well, a massive plastic smartie stuck on every single controller. And if you're referring to Natal, MS say the lag flaws will all be sorted before release.

True, Ivan, however I would prefer a peripheral with a bland name that works well as opposed to a peripheral with an interesting name that doesn't work as well.

Yeah, but who says you can't combine both things?

To be honest, I sorta like the design, I don't really care if it's a wii rip off.

Now that I think about, I could swear I've seen a sex toy that looks exactly like it, don't know the name though.

What. The. Fuck. Is. That. THING?

If you're going to rip off the competition, at least don't make it so blatant. Granted, most times Sony plagiarizes Nintendo, it becomes an industry standard. Usually by doubling it. (Yay, two analog sticks!) However, I'm still hoping this goofy looking phallus tanks hard. Not because I hate the PS3 or Sony, it's just that plagiarism should never be rewarded.

Edited by Kitsune Inferno

Nintendo have responded to the PS Move today. They also say a Wii HD isn't of interest.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239003

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239000

Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has said he is "flattered" by Sony's PlayStation Move.

The similarities between the two devices has left Sony open to accusations of Move being a copycat - and it hasn't gone unnoticed by Fils-Aime.

As well as teasing Sony, Fils-Aime said that Nintendo would innovate its motion control beoynd what is currently available in the marketplace.

He told IGN:

"So, if imitation is the most sincere form of flattery then I am blushing I'm so flattered.

"You know, I didn't see the [PS3 Move] announcement. I did spend some time at the booth and saw some of what they were demonstrating and I think the question isn't how will we react - I think the question is, so what is it that's going to be compelling to the consumer in what they're doing?

"From our standpoint, motion control is core to what we do. We believe that we've brought a range of different experiences that utilize the motion controller and we pride ourselves on being innovators in the space and we're going to continue to innovate. I think the key question is, how will they respond when we continue to innovate if this is their best effort?"

And from the other article:

Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has rubbished suggestions that the firm will release an HD version of Wii.

Fils-Aime said that the next Nintendo home console to be released onto the market would innovate in different ways.

He told Kotaku: "For us high definition by itself is not the next frontier. For us we need to provide a whole new compelling experience in our next generation.

He added: "When Mr. Miyamoto goes to Mr. Iwata and says: 'I have this great idea and I can't do it on the Wii,' that's when there will be a next generation console. What that includes we'll see.

"I think Mr. Miyamoto himself has said that he is very interested in a high-definition experience, but to be 120 percent crystal clear, HD by itself in our view is not enough to go for a new console past the Wii."

When asked what he thought of PS3 Move and Project Natal in the same interview, Fils-Aime said:

"I think a hallmark of Nintendo is that we are constantly trying to innovate. I think we would have been embarrassed to do what our competitors are currently doing."

TBH, I'd be embarassed with Nintendo more than anyone, because the majority of their Wii games are terrible. They need more games like COD4 Reflex Edition to be taken seriously. As it is right now, it's just a novelty toy wheeled out for parties.

A novelty toy? Yeah, let's ignore the fact that the Wii has outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3 COMBINED by a wide margin. Let's ignore the fact that despite all of the shovelware on the system, the games on the Wii still look and feel like GAMES, not "dark and gritty" war fantasies the majority of "real" gamers masturbate to. And let's ignore the fact that videogames are first and foremost TOYS.

Yes, I have been watching a lot of the Game Overthinker lately. :P

Since when are sales numbers the maximum authority on which systems/ whatever are the best?

The Wii does well because it capitalizes on a very profitable market(casual gaming) but on the other hand, it almost completly ignores what used to be the core consumers, the so called "hardcore" gamers. This leaves you with a bunch of fun party games and like 5 mature games, No More Heroes for example. That's not the way to develop a complete system but if you wanna get rich then yeah, it's fucking great. Games haven't really been toys for a while now, they have big budgets, long and well written scripts, voice actors and generate more money than a bunch of other industries. Don't get me wrong, I like games that aren't overly complicated, I like games that are fun and simple and all but I don't like the idea of having a system solely based on that.

Edited by Ivan

I didn't say that sales figures were the maximum authority on quality, but they are pretty damn indicative. There have been a mind-boggling amount of DS's sold and honestly, what's more fun to play: a DS or a PSP? The core audience probably should be the people playing casual games, because that's the only way to really introduce new people to gaming. If you take a newbie and shove him into Modern Warfare or practically any other popular and M-Rated game, he is going to be turned off by the less than intuitive controls (just because a controller has in excess of ten buttons doesn't mean they should all be used, let alone have multiple functions on top of that), grim-darkness (name a multi-platform game that has a color palette consisting of more than brown and gray besides Mirror's Edge or a setting that doesn't take refuge in unironic and tasteless "mature" content), and a triple-cannoned assault of racism, sexism, and homophobia (play an online game for five minutes).

I'm not saying the industry should castrate everything. But these "hardcore" gamers are coming of the age where real life will intrude on their gaming habits. When you have to choose between your kid's diapers and this shiny dildo, what are you going to buy? Remember that newbie? Now imagine he's a child just looking for some fun. I see what would have been a potential gamer turned off forever. And without a continually replenishing audience...

Remember The Watchmen and The Dark Night Returns? Remember how every comic in the nineties copied the gratuitous violence, sexuality, and vulgarity of those two masterpieces without any of the intelligent writing or context? Remember how the comic book industry stagnated and DIED? Why? Because of pandering solely to "hardcore" fans.

Fine, I like how the videogame industry has garnered a lot of respect for all of the advancements in technology, art, and writing. But videogames are fucking toys. Expensive toys, but toys nonetheless. I'm just wondering why the major players are scared of admitting that their products are playthings. This whole "home entertainment" deal to me stinks of overcompensation of that fact.

Note: Outside of punk and rap, I hate the word "hardcore" so much. Also, have I mentioned I've been disillusioned to the current state of gaming due to the fanbase's asshattery towards...well, damn near everything?

Edited by Kitsune Inferno

The DS's a different case though, it's line up is fucking brilliant, it deserves every praise it gets.

I can see how more simple and entertaining games like those in the Wii are bringing new people into gaming but I think the majoraty is still probably going to be playing Guitar Hero or Wii Fit until they get bored and don't even play anymore. I see this new involvement in gaming becoming more of an ilusion, rather that the actual increase of people who are really into what games can truly represent. If I were to start gaming right now, I would actually be turned off by most games on the Wii but then again I probably would feel the same way if I got into some hardcore JRPGs or stuff like that, there is a middle ground to this though. Games that manage to combine good writting, a good storyline and fun gameplay, all wrapped up in a simple way, games like Okami for example. This is the stuff I'd like to see new gamers getting excited about.

I don't plan to start any "Are games art?" or whatever shitty argument like that but I truly do not see games as toys anymore, the way they can trigger emotions, the way they can have incredibly well thought out and engaging mechanics, I just can't see it as a toy.