Can my PC do GTA IV?..... Yes again..... sorry.

Sorry if this should be somewhere else and I'm sure it's been asked before. But, as the title says, I'd like to know if my laptop can play GTA IV.

I have an HP Pavillion DV6 and the specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz

Video: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express chipset intergraded (the latest one)

Video RAM: 1.4GB

RAM: 4GB

If there is anything else I need to list let me know.

THANKS MUCH!!!!

no way in hell

sorry to be brutally honest lol. the cpu is OK but no chance with intel graphics.

Especially if your laptop doesn't come with an expansion slot for a graphics card. It's either that you spend more money on a gaming laptop, which costs a fortune, or content your gaming existence in a cage by getting a reasonably powerful desktop.

no way in hell

sorry to be brutally honest lol. the cpu is OK but no chance with intel graphics.

Especially if your laptop doesn't come with an expansion slot for a graphics card. It's either that you spend more money on a gaming laptop, which costs a fortune, or content your gaming existence in a cage by getting a reasonably powerful desktop.

That's what I thought. I called HP and they said I should be able to play whatever I wanted. I thought that sounded wrong. I'm gonna either buy a desktop or build one.

Any tips for building one? My budget is about $750. My local shop has one for $800. Thoughts?

well if thats 750us you could get a decent gaming computer for that.

CPU: AMD AM3 Phenom II X4 955BE $189

Mobo: Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H $106

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3-1333 $124

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB $59

GPU: 1GB ATI Radeon HD5770 $179

Case: Antec 300 $83

PSU: Silverstone Strider ST50F 500W $65

ODD: Sony-NEC Optiarc AD-7240S $39

Total: $844

those prices are in aus dollars, with exchange rate it works out around $20 over budget, but parts in usa are usually cheaper to get. try newegg.com , tigerdirect etc.

those prices are in aus dollars, with exchange rate it works out around $20 over budget, but parts in usa are usually cheaper to get. try newegg.com , tigerdirect etc.

I want to be able to upgrade and expand later on. Will this rig allow it?

Edited by fatalgamer

to an extent. you'll be able to upgrade ram/video card/hard disk/cd drive easy. CPU however probably not. depends if AMD goes with a new architecture for their next processors, then it may not be compatible with the motherboard for obvious reasons. if its the same architecture, it might be compatible with a bios flash, but we dont know that for sure. besides its a good quadcore AMD, generally with games it's not the CPU that is bottlenecked, but more likely the video card. that video card is quite good too, its performance is just below that of the nvidia GTX260, but this card supports DX11.

however if you upgrade to some huge video card (like a 5870 or one of the new nVidia) maybe you will want to upgrade the PSU.

to an extent. you'll be able to upgrade ram/video card/hard disk/cd drive easy. CPU however probably not. depends if AMD goes with a new architecture for their next processors, then it may not be compatible with the motherboard for obvious reasons. if its the same architecture, it might be compatible with a bios flash, but we dont know that for sure. besides its a good quadcore AMD, generally with games it's not the CPU that is bottlenecked, but more likely the video card. that video card is quite good too, its performance is just below that of the nvidia GTX260, but this card supports DX11.

however if you upgrade to some huge video card (like a 5870 or one of the new nVidia) maybe you will want to upgrade the PSU.

I DO think I've descided to buy these parts and assemble this rig. I watched some videos on youtube with a guy running a VERY similar setup, and he could play Crysis on full settings at around 23 fps. In the video, there was some lag but he was also running fraps in the background. He claims there is no lag without fraps.

In the future, I would like to get another HD5770 and run the two in SLi and ofcourse go up to 8 GB of RAM.

Edited by fatalgamer