Job interview at McDonalds

Scott.

I disagree with Ivan. Even if it's a shitty job, do it.

It was only because I started out in shitty jobs that I got the experience needed to work at Microsoft. The skills you learn in getting up in the morning, dealing with customers, respecting authority (even if they're wrong) and understanding office politics will be SO valuable to you.

Think about it. In 5 years time, when you're in a job interview for your ideal company (Rockstar?), what would you rather say to them?

a) "I worked my ass off for 3 years at a shitty McD's, underpaid and treated like crap but I still got up every saturday morning, made it into work and had a smile on my face for the customers. I'm a great employee."

b) "I had this shitty job but gave up after 3 weeks cos it was hard. If this job is hard I'll just give up and leave."

c) "I was going to get this job but it sounded hard so I didn't bother. I might not bother even turning up to work if you give me this job."

Which person would you hire?

For as young as Scott is (and maybe you, Ivan..) there aren't many great jobs out there. Go for the job, dude. If you really dislike it, still do it until you find better. I've been at a local grocery store for 2 and a half years now, I've been trained to do nearly everything in there. Basically, like Gerard was saying, skills learned will be universal and transferable to future jobs/careers.

So yeah, went to the interview, really informal. Didn't even ask me any questions. I went in, the boss man looked at my GCSE's, told me they were really good, and then asked me when I wanted to start. I said as soon as you want me too, so he then said I have an Orientation on Monday, which is like an induction thing, health and safety, form filling etc, and then I start on Saturday. I know its a pretty crappy job, but its a job of which I can get paid. It's £4.35 an hour for a 17 year old, which I am. This isn't too bad I suppose. I just need the money as I don't get EMA or anything :P. Also thanks for all the advice, the experience will be very handy coming into any future careers.

That's above minimum wage which is pretty cool. Best way to deal with work is just grin and bear it while you're there, be civil no matter how pissed off you get and forget about it when you go home. Pretty much how I deal with it. ( I work in a pub kitchen, so it's sorta the same... )

Either way congrats, the money will start rolling in soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with Ivan. Even if it's a shitty job, do it.

It was only because I started out in shitty jobs that I got the experience needed to work at Microsoft. The skills you learn in getting up in the morning, dealing with customers, respecting authority (even if they're wrong) and understanding office politics will be SO valuable to you.

Think about it. In 5 years time, when you're in a job interview for your ideal company (Rockstar?), what would you rather say to them?

a) "I worked my ass off for 3 years at a shitty McD's, underpaid and treated like crap but I still got up every saturday morning, made it into work and had a smile on my face for the customers. I'm a great employee."

Very true my man. :)

I worked at the local supermarket for 3 years and worked my way up there, and that's what got me into my current job at a Game Store.

It was super easy to get it because they know what i've been trough.

Now I'm working my way up here to end up at Rockstar hopefully.

Like Gerard stated even if it's a shitty job just do it, it's work and it pays.

Sorry for the kick but I had to comment.