University/College

Bear

I thought starting this thread as many people are going to be starting university/college soon or are thinking about applying soon. This thread can be used for advice about where to go, what to study or just general chatter about university/college.

I sadly quit this year as the course was just not for me and the commute became unbearable. I am hopefully going to college this year to do an Access to Higher Education course in Physchology so then I can go to better universities instead of going whereever wants low UCAS Tariffs. So wooooo!

At the moment I've got only this academic year left at college. I'm doing a BTEC National in IT, and I'm thinking of studying Computer game design when I head to uni. The course I'm doing right now is based around Computer Science, which is really getting boring, the only stream I like is Software Development (Which I'm going to be doing when I get back to college).

I might do games programming, or games artist. I'd like to do both, but I don't know any particular degree that can allow me to do both. I probably might stay local and go to any universities nearby (There's quite a few where I live).

I think Brighton City College does a Foundation Degree in Games Design. That could always be an idea. By the looks of it Aberdeen, Anglia Ruskin, Birmingham, Blackpool, Bolton and many others do the degree. UCAS should be able to tell what universities do game design. Good luck TM.

I finished Uni a few weeks ago, and looking back there were lots of late nights close to the hand-in date. All I can say is, properly read all your study guides and make sure you've got absolutely everything completed. You don't want to see a requirement you forgot about and the hand-in is 2 days away.

You're not going to be asked for the work, the tutors will assume you're working all the time.

Start assignments as soon as possible, or else you'll fk things up.

Get a notepad and take notes in lessons, piss easy and helps a lot.

I had to do numerous presentations there in a group, and it all became a bit of a mess, so expect to stand up and talk in front of loads of people for a few mins. Hateful moments those were.

I was happy with how my Uni went, the people I worked with were good to get along with, and I have most of them on my mobile, on Twitter and Facebook.

You don't want to see a requirement you forgot about and the hand-in is 2 days away.

I don't see how I'd forget it that quickly,given that I only read the requirements 3 days before the deadline :)

I did something like that this year. I did the work thinking I had ages till the hand in date. I finally look and it was three days away. That was a bugger as I had a funeral that day. I made them give me an extension or £30 would have gone down the drain by just handing in a piece of paper.

I must say that Chichester University was absolute crap, only good if your doing sports or drama.

Im quite scared of going to University, at first I was excited about it but now I am more anxious etc. Don't know why but I'm really worried about Uni, I dont now whether I could hack it or whether I can survive Uni.

@Bossman

What degree did you do?

Where are you going Sylar?

I did a BA Honours degree in Photography and Digital Imaging, went quite well throughout but had a few things to redo occasionally. Generally, everyone is scared of Uni, if you're going there with no-one else you know. I like pretty much all the people there, not at first, barely spoke to any of them. Now we arrange meetups on Facebook and talk quite a lot.

I start my Degree in Graphic Design in September. Doing at least the first year in Bedford where i did my diploma since it's both financially beneficial, and some shit's gone down so i feel like i need to be with the family for the forseeable. After the first or second year i can transfer to a uni of my choice, which is nice and flexible, too.

Really looking forward to it, only just left but want to get back to work right now. Hope i get more shit on design theory this year, since i kinda rape eassys and shit. Also i hear there's a web design module, visual and code so i'm looking forward to getting my teeth into that.

On the downside, 98% of art students are undeniable wankers. Fact.

Good luck Mr Llama Llama, transfering is quite easy to do, just make sure you talk to them personally as they can be bit shitty when you just apply to transfer. No idea why but they did it to me.

I know now I will definatly go off to university but I need major help. I have just been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. So I know university is my best option for future jobs.