Grand Theft Auto 5 inadvertently confirmed on Twitter?

Chris

UPDATE: This story was originally sourced from a satirical gaming website, but passed on as fact by many larger gaming networks. That is to say this is confirmed false.

Interesting story making the rounds today as Gilbert Gottfried, so-called "funnyman" and "actor", apparently tweeted this: "just found out I'm voicing the lead in grand theft auto 5! also I hate japan lol."

Rather tellingly, nobody thought to screencap the tweet, and it doesn't appear in Google's cache of his Twitter feed. Based on Gottfried's previous tweets making fun of the earthquake/tsunami in Japan, it's possible he never actually said this and it's just a publicity stunt or random attempt at comedy.

I actually had to IMDb him just to find out who he was, nothing noteworthy at all there. He certainly doesn't seem like the sort of person who'd play the lead in a videogame like GTA, a minor character is much more likely, his

(hear his real voice at
) would actually be well suited to a character used for comedic relief.

Regardless of how much truth lies in this phantom tweet, if any, I'm not sure we really need "confirmation" that GTA5 exists - it's safe to assume it does. Various guesstimates on when we'll have an official announcement are flying around, but as of yet the game does not officialy exist, we'll just have to continue being patient for now.

Source: TheNobleEskimo [via CVG]

I'm American, and I know of him for years now, but if you listen to excerpts of Howard Stern radio on YouTube, you can see what Howard thinks of his firing from Aflak. Voicing the talking duck, and there is video from the VIEW ladies, specifically comic female/actor Whoopie Goldberg tells of her feelings being a comedian and having a job responsibility, outside of that, my first impression is that he knows of GTA, some actors do, make no mistake... and felt to rebut the comments about his jokes, he'd jump on this public information quest for GTA news. For gamers, it's pretty well known the information regarding the series is very secretive, and he could know that and be milking it. In the last game, Iggy Pop let slip he was hired to do the radio gig for GTA4, that was true, of course! I think it would cause it's own controversy given he's been overtly tasteless and crass with those 'jokes', I don't hate his comedy but this is low, most would at least contribute some funds to help Japan, or offer prayers for their well being. I mentioned, if he'd lost his home and family would he care people found it amusing to laugh it off?

I really hope he isn't voicing the protagonist in GTA 5... In fact, if he voices ANYONE in GTA 5, I hope we get to kill the guy. :hurrhurr:

I kill anybody who appears outside a cutscene so it doesn't matter ^^

R.I.P. Roman, Jaycub, Brucie etc...

The Eskimo lead on, eventually that this was a hoax that he orchestrated because I wager, he was himself, bored of the inactivity as far as any information to go on, however, the recent casting notice and idea that GTA is using a temp title "Rush" to throw people off, however, it could be they are coming up with other game ideas, I should think, like RDR, taking the RAGE and Euphoria tools, RN and Rockstar Games can make some new sagas to partake in. In the future, however, my friend suggests it will take a new hardware (CONSOLE) release to bring with it a new GTA. That would take far too long as it is!

In my last comment I point out he admitted, that being the SOURCE for this story, that he is making this Twitter quote up and it spread like wildfire, but it not accurate to go by, since he claimed it was pulled off Twitter, without a "cut and paste" using the Print [PRT] "SCR" key to copy live content you find online, there's no way to back things up.

However, I did advise speculation on music or voice actors, James Pedeaston being a key radio personality for example, if they hire someone new for him, as we suspect, the same voice from GTA SA, Why not use the same actor? I can't see that going well. I'm rather miffed, the Eskimo tried to pull wool over players and fans eyes, we don't enjoy false leads, I am pretty sure I speak for everyone on that!