Mature or not for GTA

TommyVercitti

Mature or not for GTA  

21 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start plaing GTA

• 18+ = im a boring geek and am afraid of laws
    • 18- = I'm a playa i break the laws and don't give a shit

I've been playing since the first one (I was really young then, and didn't play the missions obviously) I probably played it in 1998 or so, so I would've been around 7. If you can tell the difference between right and wrong and understand reality is different from video games I don't see a problem. I played GTA III when it came out and so on. Hell, GTA was my childhood.

Edited by Dmac
  • Like 1

I saw a couple buying a GTA : SA for their 6 year old kid

No one cares about the Damn ESRB ratings! :angry:

I believe that is what is commonly referred to as an 'epic fail'.

Then again, I can't complain or claim the moral high ground: I received GTAIII for my 12th birthday... :evil:

I suppose these types of games are okay under adult supervision, keeping away from the more controversial or inappropriate things. I let my 11-year-old cousin play around on my copy of 'Just Cause 2' recently. I kept it strictly to vehicles and parachuting, nothing untoward. Well, aside from the little matter of dragging civilians along by the grappling hook from the back of a speeding car/plane and enjoying their hilarious screams and pleas for mercy... :whistle:

Edited by Vulpecula

When GTA came out in 1997 or 1998, I was around 4-5 years old. So yeah, I was a playa' back then. :P

Honestly though, back when I played it nobody really cared. Only my brother knew I was playing it and that I was under-age, but I got older, and now, it doesn't really bother me. Back when I was young I never really did anything bad (I was usually considered a good boy by my parents, lol).

I've been playing since the first one (I was really young then, and didn't play the missions obviously) I probably played it in 1998 or so, so I would've been around 7. If you can tell the difference between right and wrong and understand reality is different from video games I don't see a problem. I played GTA III when it came out and so on. Hell, GTA was my childhood.

Not all of them can.. Do you not remember when those kids put a little baby on a train track after watching child's play? I mean sure, i played GTA in my childhood, but game's are getting more and more REALISTIC.. When I played gta when i was like 6 or w.e, it was top down and all pixalated.. Imagine a 6 year old playing GTA IV, you got cocain refferences, swearing, nudity, and the voilence is ALOT more realistic then when we were kid's

• Like 1

I first started playing GTA games when I was in 3rd grade, so around 7-8 years old. The first GTA to be specific, then 2 a little later. 3 came out when I just started middle school, sixth grade, so still 12. Suppose I was blessed with the ability to tell the difference between fact and fiction. I wouldn't want the same for another kid now, though. 7 years old playing GTA4? No way. There is a HUGE difference between gta1 and 4.

^ It was the same story for me, maybe off by a year or so. As for your point about 7 year old playing GTA 4 I totally agree. I have a little brother who is in grade 5 and I introduced him to video games at a fairly young age (6 or 7). He learned how to play Halo, couple of Crash Bandicoot games and others but I always tried to stop him from playing GTA. Both my parents and I thought that it was a bit too violent for his age. He got his hands on it a couple of times while no one was home of course :P Anyways yeah I moved away from home for university and left the 360 with him. He has the option of playing it now but I think he still sticks to COD or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

12 is mature enough to play a game like vice city or GTA san andreas

But what about GTA IV? SA and VC still have hookers and refferences to drugs ect.. But IV is more realistic looking. But some thing's in San Andreas I think are more voilent imo compared to IV.. Like on San an you can go behind a person and slit their throat, on IV you can only stab them (which is still pretty bad)

I just don't know, personally I would say it depend's on the child. Some children are mature enough to handel it, some aren't..

^ It was the same story for me, maybe off by a year or so. As for your point about 7 year old playing GTA 4 I totally agree. I have a little brother who is in grade 5 and I introduced him to video games at a fairly young age (6 or 7). He learned how to play Halo, couple of Crash Bandicoot games and others but I always tried to stop him from playing GTA. Both my parents and I thought that it was a bit too violent for his age. He got his hands on it a couple of times while no one was home of course :P Anyways yeah I moved away from home for university and left the 360 with him. He has the option of playing it now but I think he still sticks to COD or whatever.

Uuuhh.... FPS war games are okay, but not GTA? You still kill people. And you can even still be the bad guy in war games.

12 is mature enough to play a game like vice city or GTA san andreas

Maturity and age do not always coincide. In fact, they seldom do.

Uuuhh.... FPS war games are okay, but not GTA? You still kill people. And you can even still be the bad guy in war games.

Yeah I guess that's the contradiction in my logic. Like Red Squirrel said, the older GTAs seem a bit more violent in some ways than GTA IV since you had access to chainsaws, katanas, hammers and whatnot. But one might argue that, that is just as violent (if not less) than calling in an airstrike or throwing a grenade to blow your enemies to pieces. I dunno I started playing games like Counter-Strike fairly young and I turned out alright. So he should be fine too.

Maturity and age do not always coincide. In fact, they seldom do.

Finally...

It's a tad hard of a concept for some people to understand, both "mature" and "immature" alike, I find.

Yeah I guess that's the contradiction in my logic. Like Red Squirrel said, the older GTAs seem a bit more violent in some ways than GTA IV since you had access to chainsaws, katanas, hammers and whatnot. But one might argue that, that is just as violent (if not less) than calling in an airstrike or throwing a grenade to blow your enemies to pieces. I dunno I started playing games like Counter-Strike fairly young and I turned out alright. So he should be fine too.

Well, following that same logic, I played GTA at a young age. I started with GTA 2 when I was like 11-13, somewhere in there. Then I got GTA III the year it came out, I was 13? And at 11 I was listening to hardcore rap and vile music such as "ICP". I still turned out okay(arguably). Granted, I went through a "juggalo" phase, but it stayed just that, a phase. None of this "clown for life". But that's another argument for another discussion....

Point is, if you can handle killing people in videogames, you can handle killing people in videogames.

9e0a22bc-0047-4324-bf10-5971ab347fe3.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...