Grand Theft Auto 5: To Be in San Andreas?

Seven

02f571feaf.jpg

Saying that Rockstar Games is working on a new Grand Theft Auto game isn't exactly a bold prediction. However, sources close to the Take-Two Interactive subsidiary have confirmed to GameSpot that the next installment in the blockbuster series is "well under way" and is already having final touches such as minigames being applied to it. The sources said a 2012 release was "pretty likely," adding that the game's scale was vast.

"It's the big one," they said.

Grand Theft Auto V development 'well under way'

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpotPosted Jun 20, 2011 1:39 pm PT

Sources close to Rockstar Games say latest installment in blockbuster franchise is already getting final touches; 2012 release "pretty likely."

Saying that Rockstar Games is working on a new Grand Theft Auto game isn't exactly a bold prediction. However, sources close to the Take-Two Interactive subsidiary have confirmed to GameSpot that the next installment in the blockbuster series is "well under way" and is already having final touches such as minigames being applied to it. The sources said a 2012 release was "pretty likely," adding that the game's scale was vast.

"It's the big one," they said.

Development of the next GTA is "well under way."

Unfortunately, the sources would not divulge any further details on the project, which is already the subject of much speculation. A recent set of casting calls from a talent agency point to the game as being set in a Los Angeles-like metropolis, with a motley crew of California characters being filled for a voice-over session. Prior rumors had the game being set in the Miami clone Vice City.

As of press time, Rockstar reps did not have any comment on casting calls, the game's setting, or whether a new GTA was even in development.

Wherever the next GTA is set, it will have some big shoes to fill. Its predecessor, Grand Theft Auto IV, was a massive success for Rockstar and Take-Two. As of March 2011, the game had sold nearly 20 million copies, placing it among the top-selling games of all time. Its forebearer, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, sold more than 12 million units globally, with its domestic 9.8 million-unit haul putting it in NPD's top 10 US best sellers of the 2000s.

Source Page: gamespot.com/news/6320305/grand-theft-auto-v-development-well-under-way

Haha what?

This rumor or whatever you wanna call it came out a few months ago, already was on IGN, GameTrailers etc... a few months ago. I doubt anybody here missed it.

Miles do me a favor and hang yourself? Thanks.

Edited by TUN3R

This rumor or whatever you wanna call it came out a few months ago, already was on IGN, GameTrailers etc... a few months ago. I doubt anybody here missed it.

Miles do me a favor and hang yourself? Thanks.

So your a little mad bud?

Alright,

Show me the page, on IGN/ where-ever with the same news then.

Since TTG, and GTAFORUMS have also just recently posted this too I don't think its old.

Edited by Seven

2012 is still a valid prediction, this year, however, is not. Remember as a Next Gen game, GTA4 required about 4 years to build. Or was it nearly 5. I believe the majesty of Red Dead Redemption as a sequel also required building of the game since circa 2005. However, with RAGE and Euphoria well developed, the span of time is cut in half, one should think....and a larger staff on hand I think.

I mention in another thread the easing of any more major DLC additions, the way Rockstar envisioned them, is a sign more effort is placed on a main game release, however, besides Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, there's talk of the new Nintendo replacement for Wii.... or more, and PSP's successor as well, NGP, whatchamacallit! hahaha I could look that up but I'm being extra lazy

Grand Theft Auto Five. Now, anyone who followed the last two, Aaron Garbut who heads the graphic department was mentioned as designing a large GTA4 map including Up State New York, the Catskills IIRC, something Sam Houser said was very ambitious but they opted to scrap that and scale the game around LC or Faux-New York as we've come to know it.

This time, though, location, characters, graphical qualities are not yet hinted at in still picture/teaser lead up...in the case of GTA 4, that was nearly one year before you stood in line to buy said game...so where is all this lead-up Promo now? We just don't have the same indications of a lead up for a release guess that we had prior

1st off GTA IV was in development 3 years, the PC version was in development about a year, not sure if it was re-built from scratch like Burnout Paradise but considering the s*itload of bugs and the absence of many PC specific features I wouldn't be surprised if they just took the Xbox version, added a previously cancelled beta menu and labeled it ''PC'' then waited a year to build up the hype.

2nd, RAGE was developed separately from GTA IV, not sure if it was intended for GTA IV or RDR from the beginning.

And 3rd there's a good chance Rockstar haven't even started working on GTA five, why? The answer is simple: marketing.

Let's face it, a lot of GTA IV's success and the 10/10's from pretty much every game reviewer on the planet were due to Rockstar's brilliant marketing and hype building. Advertizing the game on pretty much every single street of every single city, releasing cinematic trailers at key intervals during development and only releasing the first actual gameplay a few days before the game's release, etc...

Edited by TUN3R

• 1 month later...

1st off GTA IV was in development 3 years, the PC version was in development about a year, not sure if it was re-built from scratch like Burnout Paradise but considering the s*itload of bugs and the absence of many PC specific features I wouldn't be surprised if they just took the Xbox version, added a previously cancelled beta menu and labeled it ''PC'' then waited a year to build up the hype.

2nd, RAGE was developed separately from GTA IV, not sure if it was intended for GTA IV or RDR from the beginning.

And 3rd there's a good chance Rockstar haven't even started working on GTA five, why? The answer is simple: marketing.

Let's face it, a lot of GTA IV's success and the 10/10's from pretty much every game reviewer on the planet were due to Rockstar's brilliant marketing and hype building. Advertizing the game on pretty much every single street of every single city, releasing cinematic trailers at key intervals during development and only releasing the first actual gameplay a few days before the game's release, etc...

Even if it wasn't for all the advertising i think alot of people still would of bought the game, I got it day one just simply because of the fact its GTA.. I think GTA V would be awesome since i think they've got the hang of their newest engine now, if they could make the multiplayer for gta V like red dead with all the challenge's and stuff and made the single player more like the older game's because GTA IV was over hyped imo, sure its good but nowhere near as good as VC and SA.. I'd also love for the next game in the GTA series to be set in London, which is blatently never going to happen. So if no london, then San Andreas please rockstar :) Even set in Scotland would be a good idea, seeing as they are the master minds who created GTA in the first place

Edited by Red_Squirrel_UK

I'm not saying GTA IV totally sucks (not on consoles at least), but yeah was overrated and overumm, hyped... and although I didn't wanna really admit it at first, right now, the Saints Row series has a lot more potential. I'm sure R* will come up with something mind blowing for GTA V if it ever comes out, but I'm also sure the effect will be the same as GTA IV: I'll be ''OMGWTFBBQ BEST GAYM EVAR!!111'' at first and ''boohooo :'('' after a few weeks...

That's assuming I'd buy it, which won't happen regardless of what Rockstar does...

Edited by TUN3R

I don't think GTAV will be released any time soon, I think a trailer comes out about a year before the release, so we still have a long way to go.

What I will say is GTAIV was very good but it wasn't as revolutionary as San Andreas, it kinda went backwards in some respects,

I hope they don't do it in San Andreas, they've already rehashed Liberty City, Im still holding out for GTA london, that would be good.