New PC Advice

The Bossman

OK so, I'm looking at ordering a new PC within the next day or so, and I need advice on the best one to buy. I have 3 choices, one is a AMD Quad Core Configurator and is my first choice - http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/AMD_Quad_Core_Configurator/ - another is a AMD Fusion APU Configurator and is my second choice - http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/AMD_Fusion_APU_configurator/ - and my last choice is a Shinobee Gaming PC - http://www.amazon.co.uk/shinobee-Gaming-PC-1333-MEMSeven-DVD-Drive/dp/B0042EUNLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311353532&sr=1-1

Which one is the best version to buy? I want the first choice, I like the sound of the quad core, and the reviews are very positive. It doesn't cost too much, I'm willing to go to £500 in terms of adding extra components to it via the links provided. The primary reason I'm getting it is just to upgrade my 8 year old PC, which is really slow these days, and also to use it as a semi gaming machine. I'm not a PC gamer, but I'm talking in terms of the Hauppauge PVR, possibly in a year after I've used my Roxio Game Cap for a while. Let me know if they can handle the Hauppauge PVR as well, please. Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by The Bossman

Just had a quick scroll through the first config you posted. If that comes out at £274, i really think it'd be worth raing up a little bit across the board. For example: A mid tower or a large tower will REALLY help with cooling ALOT and give you a bit more longevity in the system. The Thermaltake Element t-mid is a substantially better case for a little under £20 more. Again, for another £10 you can get case fans, etc etc. I know the costs mount when you upgrade everywhere 'just a little bit'- I've done it.

Advice other than that is make sure you're getting reputable brands renowned for making the components. PSU especially, make sure that's good quality - if this fries it's hardest and most time consuming to replace (after motherboard) and if your rig 'just won't turn on' it can be a real pain identifying the issue, so if you have a good quality supply you can be a little more confident and swift in remedying the issue.

Also, OS wise, if you're not getting one bundled you can pick up an OEM copy from the net pretty cheap. make sure you go for genuine win7 home premium. You won't miss any of the pro stuff, I assure you. Also, 64bit OS, or you're crippling your system straight out the box.

Mind if anyone gave me a link of local PC stores in the UK?I'm pretty sure you can build a cheaper yet more efficient than those you just showed me.

If you're not into building, then definitely get the black edition CPU on that quad core AMD setup instead of that which is put, it is much better, not that i know much of AMD's and stuff, but it is better.

Nice, thanks for the replies. Hopefully today I'll have an opinion from my mum from one of the network guys, he also gave me a load of CS3 features for free 4 years ago. I'm definitely looking to choose different parts for the quad core, I'll take your suggestions guys, thanks. Any more?