Nuther one of them graphics card topics...

TUN3R

Finally managed to put some money together for a graphics card, it's not much but I'll give it a go. What's the best Nvidia GPU I can get for up to 185$ (or 200$ but only if it's really worth the extra cash). Damjan pointed to a GeForce 560 but I'm not quite sure if it will work with my PC, so here's the config:

http://imageshack.us/g/204/captureoz.png/

I don't think CPU-Z shows my power supply details. I have no idea what they are to be honest, I just know that it costed 20$ about 1.5 years ago... and my PC isn't noisy or anything, it's pretty cool too (cool as in literally :P).

So yeah, must be Nvidia, 1GB video memory and compatible with the rest of my PC... any (more) suggestions?

Thanks.

It's in German T_T I don't see no voltage ether...

EDIT: Found the warranty, 230V / 50Hz, ATX-450W P4.

Get at least a 600-watter, and preferrably the most expensive that you can buy. They're usually the ones that are modular or come with a six-pin plug for a high-end video card. Oh, and yeah, case size matters; it'll be pointless to get a 560 if the video brick's too Xbox-huge for your rig.

@Damjan

Yeah I know... got it in a rush, when my Radeon 9600 broke.

@Pie

So basically there's no way of knowing whether my GPU will fit inside the case until I buy it? R.I.P. convenience lol.

And regarding the power supply, I basically have to get one that costs just as much as the GPU is that right? :P

Edited by TUN3R

@Pie

So basically there's no way of knowing whether my GPU will fit inside the case until I buy it? R.I.P. convenience lol.

And regarding the power supply, I basically have to get one that costs just as much as the GPU is that right? :P

Well, if you have a smallish case, then it is generally unlikely that the 560 will fit. I've seen a 560 on a local computer store before, and it also seems to be a bit on the footlong side of things. As for your power supply, yeah, but there are ones that are branded and yet relatively budget-friendly.

I can't tell if it's big(ish) or small(ish). I mean I've seen cases that are noticeably smaller than mine but I don't recall any that are visibly bigger...

I'm using the same case I've had since 2004, didn't need to change it before...

Edited by TUN3R

Rather than guessing you could just take a ruler and measure the length of your case from the backplate to the drive bay to determine how long a card would fit.... quickly looking online the longest GTX 560 I could find was 9.4" the shortest was 8.2"; it all depends on the manufacturer. When I did this with my GTX275 my estimate was accurate to within a quarter of an inch and my card was 3/4 inch away from the end of my case. As for the PSU, 450W likely (almost certainly) won't cut it especially if it was cheap to begin with. The GTX 560 isn't a huge power hog but you still should have at least 550-600W minimum for a card like that.

Edited by -Ray-
  • Like 1

Doesn't seem to run it much better than my 9400GT (was about 70$), except it's on higher resolution.

1024 x 768 is all my monitor can do, but still...

Anyway I kinda' got all the info I need, thanks. Edited by TUN3R

Doesn't seem to run it much better than my 9400GT (was about 70$), except it's on higher resolution.

1024 x 768 is all my monitor can do, but still...

Anyway I kinda' got all the info I need, thanks.

Yeah I'm getting 30-40fps on medium-high while running it on 1440x900. Oh, and mine's a GDDR5 flavour, which is a tad better than the DDR3 banana. It should run IV and a couple other games at 30+ frames especially since you have an i5.

Don't think my motherboard supports GDDR5 but meh close enough.

Your motherboard doesn't need to support GDDR5. GDDR5 is the form of memory that the video card uses; it has nothing to do with your motherboard. The main things that determine whether or not your video card will work are:

1) Slot type (is it, PCI, PCI-E, AGP, etc.)

2) Power requirements

3) Dimensions

4) Driver compatibility

I'd say you're all set on all of those except number two. All new video cards are PCI-E and I can guarantee that so is your motherboard.

Edited by -Ray-

Okaya. Well I don't really like that GT 240, it's just not enough of an improvement over my current GPU so, I'll start saving for a power supply...

By the way, does it matter if it's PCi-E 2.0 or 2.1? I have no idea which one is mine..

Edited by TUN3R

Okaya. Well I don't really like that GT 240, it's just not enough of an improvement over my current GPU so, I'll start saving for a power supply...

By the way, does it matter if it's PCi-E 2.0 or 2.1? I have no idea which one is mine..

Actually, it is quite an improvement over the 9400GT, fillrate-wise, but you might consider a 4xx or 5xx series GPU if you fancy those DX11 tesselation things.

I don't care about DX11, DX9 games would look good enough for me if I could run 'em on max (or at least high) settings :P Hell in the case of GTA IV I'd be happy if I could just set the textures, reflections and resolution to high and everything else to medium.

The GT2xx,3xx,and etc are shit.Anything in the range of a GTX 460 and above is ok.

Why do you say that? The 3xx series isn't even in the same category as all the 200's.. they only made low-end cards for 300, it was like a sub-generation, same as the 100-series.

The 200-series are actually quite good cards. Except for DX11, buying 200-cards now can get you performance on the level of the new cards but at a lower price.

Edited by -Ray-