Take-Two CEO avoids GTA V question

Chris

Take-Two Interactive last night revealed their financial results for fiscal year 2012. Unfortunately there was no mention of Grand Theft Auto V anywhere, however, part of the report makes mention of the company's outlook in fiscal year 2013 (April 2012 - March 2013), it reads:

"... we have a very strong pipeline of yet-to-be announced titles in development. As a result, we continue to expect to achieve substantial revenue and earnings growth, including Non-GAAP net income in excess of $2.00 per share." (emphasis mine).

Why is this interesting? It seems unlikely T2 would be able to achieve such a figure without the release of a new Grand Theft Auto title. The release of Red Dead Redemption saw income rise to just over $1 per share, the last time it rose above $2 was during Grand Theft Auto IV's release. In the Q&A session following the release of this report, James Hardiman of Longbow Research asked Zelnick if the company could achieve this figure without a new GTA title. Strauss Zelnick, CEO of T2, answered the question making reference only to already announced titles such that are building on other franchises, namely BioShock and Borderlands, and completely avoided mentioning GTA.

So, while this is obviously no confirmation, it does give us somewhat of a pointer towards GTA V's release date (between April 2012 and March 2013). My personal guess? I think we could see R* moving back to the traditional October release, so October 2012. When do you think GTA V will be released? Let us know in the comments.

On a related note, the following video, courtesy of my friend Adriaan, is a humourous dramatisation of the question and it's answer. Enjoy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Take Two was basically not saying anything about GTA gaming because Strauss Zelnick does want the business end paying attention to their other game series, however, it's no doubt, the record breaking viewing for GTA V's premier trailer shows this game should sell again, like hot-cakes, with lines around the corner at Midnight if you can get it then at Gamestops! haha