SOPA, PIPA and ACTA

MrLanceVanceDance

Seeing as all of us use the Internet I'm pretty sure everyone's views will be exactly the same.

That is, that the people who wrote these can go fuck themselves. And so can the corporations paying them to do this. The people who wrote these are all over 60 years old, did you know that? Think of it like your grandparents (or great grandparents if they are still alive) writing all the rules of the Internet - but with one caveat - they have no fucking clue how the Internet works. That is what this is.

This is why there is so much opposition to it (at least with SOPA/PIPA), it just wouldn't work. American internet would be akin to North Korea's. But then it seems American laws would overrule every other country's. So even TGTAP could be taken offline if one of you posted, for example, a link to a YouTube video that contained a song you didn't own the copyright to. And I couldn't do anything about it. Despite me being a UK citizen, with my server located in the Netherlands. It's fucking retarded.

The only people piracy hurts are those who are already substantially rich. They're just greedy cunts who want more and more money. There's a picture floating around with the faces of the owners or important people in these organisations and their net-worths. Seeing it just makes you want to pirate even more actually.

It would kill all creativity. The American corporations behind these bills are just scared because they realise they are no longer needed in this day and age. They will have no way to make millions of dollars every year. This is what scares them so they want a way to control the people and keep the cash flowing in.

As for ACTA... well if it actually got some press coverage maybe people would actually know wtf it is and protest against it too. Same with the Candian C-11 bill. No one's even heard of it it seems...

I agree with you Chris. Those people who support SOPA and PIPA are just greedy morons who want money. They already got tonnes of money, they should be grateful for that. But no, they think they don't have enough money. They want more! The people who wrote up those bills obviously don't understand the internet.

In fact, Internet censorship should never have been created. We all have the right to see what we want to see. A government that supports and trys to use internet censorship are simply, a large bunch of cowards who want to hide the truth and plant lies into the heads of their people.

Piracy is not stealing. Piracy is making a copy of something, either for your own use, or distributing it. It is like cloning somebody's car and using it for yourself, instead of taking it. That way, nobody loses anything, except for money (car dealing businesses only, in this case).

Edited by MrLanceVanceDance

You make a good point Spaz. Now I have every necessary reason to hate SOPA, PIPA and ACTA now! If SOPA, PIPA and ACTA are launched, TGTAP and all the other GTA fan sites will have to shut down, which would make my life really, really boring, alongside angering every internet savvy GTA fan in the world.

Edited by MrLanceVanceDance

• 2 weeks later...

The only people piracy hurts are those who are already substantially rich. They're just greedy cunts who want more and more money. There's a picture floating around with the faces of the owners or important people in these organisations and their net-worths. Seeing it just makes you want to pirate even more actually.

Exactly. Plus you gotta think alot of game's dont come with demo's (not on steam anyway) and some people will pirate a game just to make sure it runs on their system ok.. Not saying this is always the case, but at the end of the day like you said these people still make a shit ton of cash, they are just being greedy.Look at the founder of mega video, he got 50 fuckin years inside! Land of the free eh?

Actually, Chris, if you want to get technical.... Doesn't modding software that doesn't belong to you fall under copyright infringement? Which would mean ALL sites like this could be taken down just for hosting non-profit modifications. Took me a couple of minutes to swallow that when it finally clicked.

The fact that it would be classed as a non profitable modification, I dont think they would do jack.

Edited by Red_Squirrel_UK

You make a good point Squirrel. Lots of games don't come with demos, so people will pirate games just to have a little play around with it without actually buying it, just to see if they enjoy playing around with it or not. It would be a waste of money to buy a game, and find out that you don't like it. And, if you chucked away the receipt, depending on the store you got it from, you won't be able to refund it, and you will be stuck with it for some time.

I don't think Piracy is a major issue. Look at world hunger. That is a major issue. Piracy only affects the rich dickheads. World Hunger affects everybody. So instead of trying to combat privacy, the governments of the world should just focus on the major issues like poverty, hunger, peace etc.

Multiple lawsuits from Universal Media-Music group, You know, Warners and Universal MCA corp have LOVE litigation in years past. Was enjoying a music site I was turned on to, they've been sued by Universal twice in a year, unearthed insider emails that attested to illegal music uploads, now that's a nail in the coffin. Despite the sounds of it, YouTube faces much the same, More then a million users means the policing job is REALLY difficult, but it won't mean you can run rampant without worry either!

As for piracy, it's a concern not to the rich fat-cats in the whole picture, but to those who are in the job of creating music and code, games, software, they want to share in the fruits of their labor, that means we pay them via sales, buying music or movies, or games online or in stores, bottom line, it's important to keep sight of that

Edited by BlackListedB