10-year sentence for teasing gay - Right or Wrong?

Alvas.

New York: The jurors in India-born student Dharun Ravi's case, who came out with a guilty verdict on Friday that may jail him for 10 years and even lead to his deportation, say his repeated attempts to watch and gossip about his gay roommate's sexual encounter convinced them that he committed hate crime.

Source: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/4/20120318201203180208178084f94a856/Indian-student-guilty-of-hate-crime-Jurors.html

Edited by Alvas.

Well from reading that article it seems like he was responsible for the guy's suicide (even though it wasn't directly stated or encouraged as a reason for his conviction towards the jury) , and tampered with evidence. He's lucky to get 10 years. You can't treat someone like a fucking spectacle, like a zoo attraction because they're different to you, especially if it's something they don't have a choice over.

I hope a big old dude screws him in prison.

• Like 1

He teased him quite a bit - and I agree that it was wrong. But suicide is a stupid thing to do already, and he can't be blamed because he committed suicide. Especially since it wasn't like he left him no other choice. Moreover as soon as he knew that he was deeply upset by it, he apologized..

At 8:47pm Ravi texts Clementi: ‘I’m sorry if you heard something distorted and disturbing but I assure you all my actions were good natured.’ Sends another text: ‘I don’t want your freshman year to be ruined by a petty misunderstanding, it’s adding to my guilt.’

He wasn't really responsible for the guy's suicide - I think. 1-2 years in prison is more than enough. 10 years would ruin his life. Nobody gained anything.

And consider this article: http://www.punemirro...ybody-lost.html

Edited by Alvas.

Oh come on he knew damn well that when he started to mess with his head, he was gonna hurt him. It's not like you decide to ruin someone's privacy like that and then go "whoops, had no idea I was doing anything wrong, sorry bro."

I'm sure he didn't mean to push him to his death but still, it's such a nasty thing to do. I don't know about the sentence, 10 years sounds like a lot of time but if he got 1 or 2, would that really change people's mentality towards this issue? Honestly, I'm not sure.

Living with that kid's death will be a massive burden anyway, regardless of jail time.

Well If I was that judge, I would give maximum five years.

It hurts to be bullied but I mean if someone's gay it's there life, how does it affect yours? You can easily adjust to living with a gay roomate. What he did there was tottally wrong and it was kind of his fault for their death.

10 years is a long time. People change, people grow. 10 years is a long time for a human. When he becomes old, he'll remember about the 10 years (if he lives long enough), he's not really being charged for the 'teasing' but more for the 'death' although teasing led to death, some people will argue to only charge for the teasing, not like he killed him, but convinced him to kill himself.

Oh come on he knew damn well that when he started to mess with his head, he was gonna hurt him. It's not like you decide to ruin someone's privacy like that and then go "whoops, had no idea I was doing anything wrong, sorry bro."

I'm sure he didn't mean to push him to his death but still, it's such a nasty thing to do. I don't know about the sentence, 10 years sounds like a lot of time but if he got 1 or 2, would that really change people's mentality towards this issue? Honestly, I'm not sure.

Living with that kid's death will be a massive burden anyway, regardless of jail time.

An eye for an eye never really changes anything. A rather long jail time for that guy won't really change people's attitude at all. The countries with the least number of criminals and criminal acts registered have the least penalties for criminal offenses. Maybe it is time for us to start wondering why.

Well If I was that judge, I would give maximum five years.

It hurts to be bullied but I mean if someone's gay it's there life, how does it affect yours? You can easily adjust to living with a gay roomate. What he did there was tottally wrong and it was kind of his fault for their death.

10 years is a long time. People change, people grow. 10 years is a long time for a human. When he becomes old, he'll remember about the 10 years (if he lives long enough), he's not really being charged for the 'teasing' but more for the 'death' although teasing led to death, some people will argue to only charge for the teasing, not like he killed him, but convinced him to kill himself.

That he committed suicide was not entirely that guy's fault. And I say that again - especially since it wasn't like he had no other choice at all.

Edited by Alvas.

10 years is pretty harsh. I would have given him 5 years if I was the judge. However, if he attempted to kill that guy for being gay, but failed, then I would give him ten years.

He never attempted to do anything like it. He teased him for being gay, the guy committed suicide.

Well it depends on how intense was the case in which the guilty ruined the social rep of the victim.

I see clear case of bullying and cyber bullying. I would say 5 years but if he left the victim to a state that he had no other choice then i would say 10 years is a fair enough decision by the jury.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, 10 years is more than u get here for something more serious. I don't know about their laws but since he was found guilty on 15 charges I guess all that time add up.

Anyway, I guess he was in his 20s so by the time he gets out he'll be in his 30s, still young.

And I find it wrong to commit suicide, but in this case I see it like that poor guy thought his life was worth sending that guy to jail for 10 years. Sad, he would have had more to win if he sued his for invading his privacy.

If you think about it, the judge is quite stupid. Who the hell would Commit Suicide over one teasing, there's bound to others the judge is blaming it on him completely , there is no evidence saying he was the only one. I should be a judge xD.

And that is true, agreed. Exactly. ;)