Batman movie massacre WB News

Most have heard by now, a Midnight screening of Batman, the latest Dark Knight remake series by Chris Nolan was marred by one of the worst massacres in US history, most marked by 13 dead and many more injured. In this case I believe 12 people were killed, The suspect surrendered to police but would not openly talk other then to request a lawyer and to proclaim himself as "the joker"

Police have successfully gotten past a few rigged explosives that booby-trap his apartment, and the news is live at present with updates on what transpired and what happens next.

Many believe that the suspect should not get to plea an Insanity Defence, he clearly planned to kill people trying to enter his apartment and spent two months plotting this madness, it's said

The latest as I publish this post is that POLICE HAVE CLEARED the apartment and can now safely enter it.

James Holmes, 24, is the madman behind this, nothing too incriminating in his past, one traffic ticket on his record.

At present, CNN is giving more information on Holmes' unassuming history, but he used his intellect for evil, in the end, not for good. In his mind, he was the chief nemesis of Batman, but does anything relate to you in his motive?

Warner Brothers is holding off on the box office figures out of respect for this situation, which angered and saddened Nolan in statements he gave being publicized. Fox reports that the film did take in over 30 Million from it's premier overnight

Edited by BlackListedB

I think spending months planning an elaborate mass killing is definitely one of the signs of insanity. As would be going through with said plans. Regardless of what the reasons or motives behind this were, I find it to be shitty publicity surrounding the movie that this happened, on opening night at that. It's upsetting to think that there wasn't one person in that crowd ready to act in defense of the people. And I especially can't figure out WHY THE HELL A 3 MONTH OLD BABY WAS AT A MIDNIGHT MOVIE RELEASE. WHERE THE HELL DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?

That's all I have to say on the matter.

• Like 1

I think spending months planning an elaborate mass killing is definitely one of the signs of insanity. As would be going through with said plans. Regardless of what the reasons or motives behind this were, I find it to be shitty publicity surrounding the movie that this happened, on opening night at that. It's upsetting to think that there wasn't one person in that crowd ready to act in defense of the people. And I especially can't figure out WHY THE HELL A 3 MONTH OLD BABY WAS AT A MIDNIGHT MOVIE RELEASE. WHERE THE HELL DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?

This. Imo I think they should give Holmes a death sentence.

It was argued that the baby or very young children brought to a midnight showing of anything is a bad idea, but parents always think they have the best ideas in mind to raising their own

What I'm seeing on TV news is that the suspect, James Holmes looks like he was wakened out of bed for his first court appearance, and has said nothing or looked like he had mental capacity or alertness. He looked like he probably would try suicide, now. But from what I've heard on radio, etc... Seems most information is aligned, since the comment about being the joker and his odd hair was heard before seen, and it's come out as in line with that

I think there's certainly more mystery about why he threw his life away with enough brains to be a professional in a career that would seemingly garner one a life above most of us, pay wise, I'd assume.

The death penalty was mentioned just as I submit this, it's presumed that will be the case, 12 cases against him, more will be known next week, however, I heard stories from survivors that have been broadcasting since this morning, Several people shielded the ones they were with, giving their life to protect them, so let's make sure that is known to all reading, no one had much chance to bum-rush the guy as they were instinctively processing the situation as it unfolded. Don't forget the tear gas used and dark night setting in which this took place

Edited by BlackListedB

http://on.aol.com/video/517427862/?icid=maing-grid7|maing8|popular-videos-5min-main|sec3_lnk2|175872

New updates say his time behind bars and that small detail about a sketched out notebook sent to the school was not opened until after the shooting, and the suspect was taken in. The questions around the notebook center on "was this a cry for help"? I doubt it. Was it true that the shooter had been seeking help, or it just happened there was a physchitrist there who helped students and was chosen on that merit, and if he was seeking help, why would his parents remain uninformed?

The previous news about Holmes is that he maintained spitting in defience against his captivity and was forced to wear a mask ...again reported in the press, all I know as far as any fact

• 6 months later...

Sorry, i know this topic is old, but I saw this and HAD to say that, coming from a police officer and someone who studies law, spending months planning a mass shooting is a sign that he is NOT insane. Insanity means he does not understand the law, the nature of his actions, or right from wrong. Seeing as he spent months planning this attack to make sure it went exactly how he wanted, he obviously had a brain in his head which would negate any possibility of insanity. just a bad person that should be eligible for the death penalty

Sorry, i know this topic is old, but I saw this and HAD to say that, coming from a police officer and someone who studies law, spending months planning a mass shooting is a sign that he is NOT insane. Insanity means he does not understand the law, the nature of his actions, or right from wrong. Seeing as he spent months planning this attack to make sure it went exactly how he wanted, he obviously had a brain in his head which would negate any possibility of insanity. just a bad person that should be eligible for the death penalty

Police officers seemingly have NO grasp on psychology.  Sociopaths are not only incredibly intelligent, they are also incredibly organized, secretive, and elaborate. I happen to be studying psychopaths right now, and I do believe that is more on-par with judging someone's mental status than studying law. 

Police officers seemingly have NO grasp on psychology.  Sociopaths are not only incredibly intelligent, they are also incredibly organized, secretive, and elaborate. I happen to be studying psychopaths right now, and I do believe that is more on-par with judging someone's mental status than studying law. 

well good for you. but i'm saying legally this guy cannot be declared insane. if he's smart enough and all there enough to plan and practice for months, then he's smart enough to know right from wrong and thats the key to declaring him insane, whether or not he knew right from wrong

well good for you. but i'm saying legally this guy cannot be declared insane. if he's smart enough and all there enough to plan and practice for months, then he's smart enough to know right from wrong and thats the key to declaring him insane, whether or not he knew right from wrong

Nice to see that the American legal system is just and fair then...

Nice to see that the American legal system is just and fair then...

you think thats unfair? why should this piece of shit be declared insane and ineligible for the death penalty or even standing trial? that would be unfair

Because if he is insane which judging by what you said previously is a matter of trivial relevance in the American justice system, then he should be dealt with accordingly. You can't just sentence a man to death because on the surface he seems to be no more than a remorseless murder, if there are underlying psychological issues then does the man not deserve to be treated for these issues?

Edited by TrialByFire

Because if he is insane which judging by what you said previously is a matter of trivial relevance in the American justice system, then he should be dealt with accordingly. You can't just sentence a man to death because on the surface he seems to be no more than a remorseless murder, if there are underlying psychological issues then does the man not deserve to be treated for these issues?

but you cant just treat every crime as a mental disorder. people need to be held accountable for their actions. not every crime is a result of a mental disorder. sometimes a person is just bad. and a person who has the mental capacity to plan this out so thoroughly for so long is NOT insane and unable to understand his actions 

but you cant just treat every crime as a mental disorder. people need to be held accountable for their actions. not every crime is a result of a mental disorder. sometimes a person is just bad. and a person who has the mental capacity to plan this out so thoroughly for so long is NOT insane and unable to understand his actions 

I am not saying every crime is committed by someone who has the potential to be declared insane at all what I am saying is in cases where it is likely that the person has some sort of mental problem you cannot treat them like any 'normal' criminal. This doesn't mean that will walk free it means that will be detained in an appropriate environment for their mental state. Also you could not be more wrong about what defines someone as insane or with mental problems. I have had many in depth conversations with people who are/have studied both this subject area in terms of its psychological implications and the legal implications of a crime being committed by someone who does not have all of their faculties. Just because they have planned it out does not necessarily mean that understand that the plans they have made are illegal or that once they have killed the person they will no longer be alive. Please do your homework before you make bold sweeping statements like that which are quite obviously factually incorrect.

I am not saying every crime is committed by someone who has the potential to be declared insane at all what I am saying is in cases where it is likely that the person has some sort of mental problem you cannot treat them like any 'normal' criminal. This doesn't mean that will walk free it means that will be detained in an appropriate environment for their mental state. Also you could not be more wrong about what defines someone as insane or with mental problems. I have had many in depth conversations with people who are/have studied both this subject area in terms of its psychological implications and the legal implications of a crime being committed by someone who does not have all of their faculties. Just because they have planned it out does not necessarily mean that understand that the plans they have made are illegal or that once they have killed the person they will no longer be alive. Please do your homework before you make bold sweeping statements like that which are quite obviously factually incorrect.

Well thats great that you've talked to experts, cuz so have I. one being a judge, who has devoted his entire life to studying criminal law. i think he knows what qualifies as legally insane. and thats the key here: LEGALLY insane. cuz legal definitions are all that matters in a court of law. medical definitions have no relevance. im sure medically he may have some inbalance. he would have to in order to want to kill so many people. but legally, i dont see that qualifying as insanity. for an insanity defense. He would have to have been incapable of Knowing the nature and quality of his act, Understanding the nature and quality of act, Distinguishing what is morally right and wrong, Distinguishing what is legally right and wrong. now granted thats the definition of Legal insanity in the state of California. but I'm sure it would be pretty close to the same in colorado...hopefully cuz i'll be sickened if he is found not guilty by reason of insanity. this guy deserves a lethal injection

Well thats great that you've talked to experts, cuz so have I. one being a judge, who has devoted his entire life to studying criminal law. i think he knows what qualifies as legally insane. and thats the key here: LEGALLY insane. cuz legal definitions are all that matters in a court of law. medical definitions have no relevance. im sure medically he may have some inbalance. he would have to in order to want to kill so many people. but legally, i dont see that qualifying as insanity. for an insanity defense. He would have to have been incapable of Knowing the nature and quality of his act, Understanding the nature and quality of act, Distinguishing what is morally right and wrong, Distinguishing what is legally right and wrong. now granted thats the definition of Legal insanity in the state of California. but I'm sure it would be pretty close to the same in colorado...hopefully cuz i'll be sickened if he is found not guilty by reason of insanity. this guy deserves a lethal injection

Hmmmm there seems to be a trend emerging on these forums recently. This whole debate could have been avoided if you had said what you meant from the start. However I am still not sure I agree with how the system works, surely it is not up for a legal professional to decide whether or not a potential criminals' mental state has deteriorated enough to warrant medical help as opposed to death row. That in my opinion, should be left up to a medical professional who will have a much better idea of what constitutes as mental able than a judge.  

This is the entire point we're making, the legal system is a joke. Legal insanity is bullshit. Besides, what happened was far from his plan. All of his work was planted in his mind. He was but a puppet. A deranged psychotic puppet, but a puppet none-the-less.

Hmmmm there seems to be a trend emerging on these forums recently. This whole debate could have been avoided if you had said what you meant from the start. However I am still not sure I agree with how the system works, surely it is not up for a legal professional to decide whether or not a potential criminals' mental state has deteriorated enough to warrant medical help as opposed to death row. That in my opinion, should be left up to a medical professional who will have a much better idea of what constitutes as mental able than a judge.  

I believe i did say it from the start but okay. anyways im glad we're on the same page now. But i know they do listen to psychologist testimony. they use that to determine if he is legally insane. which to me makes sense because just cuz he had a mental disorder doesnt mean he didnt understand his actions. Example: ADHD or depression. both mental disorders where the person is still all there. as opposed to paranoid schitzophrenia

I believe i did say it from the start but okay. anyways im glad we're on the same page now. But i know they do listen to psychologist testimony. they use that to determine if he is legally insane. which to me makes sense because just cuz he had a mental disorder doesnt mean he didnt understand his actions. Example: ADHD or depression. both mental disorders where the person is still all there. as opposed to paranoid schitzophrenia

No, depression could in fact lead to ill-decisions that one would not normally make under "ideal" conditions. Many people are misdiagnosed anyways, as a lot of disorders are comorbid with a LOT of disorders. And schizophrenics are "all-there". Schizophrenia is almost always marked by high intelligence. Just because one is seeing non-existent people doesn't mean they are not rational. Yes, it could definitely have adverse dangerous repercussions, but it's not common. 

The topic and incident maybe old, but the trials are usually an extended affair and we won't know the conclusion even at this point, it seems still much is a mystery on these public shootings, not just this one, but one thing is glaringly obvious, the NRA and gun supporters are literally up in arms about the Constitution and Gun Owners' rights being infringed, however, they can't allow the ways of the Gunslinging West in the modern era persist, most rational people realize there's more that can be done, and by all means, it should be done. Keep people with lethal tendencies above the radar!

After the recent attempted assassination I saw online, in Eastern Europe, I saw links similar that reminded me of the backstory behind these types of people, I've yet to see Taxi Driver in full as well, but I believe it also touches on the mental state of someone with disorders as we're discussing, where their actions come to a violent outburst effecting others

http://voices.yahoo.com/chapter-27-murder-john-lennon-movie-review-1521481.html

A movie I saw about Lennon's shooter made me look again into the facts of the case.

Edited by BlackListedB