Grand Theft Auto V Petition for PC Format

MarkD1990

I'm a dipshit.

Who cares?

AVG just logged a threat at this site, Rockstarsource, something, be aware, there's a malware threat somewhere around here!!

lol'd

FYI: There are malware threats everywhere on the internet.

Anywho, the bottom line is that Rockstar under Housers rather then David Jones is going to be console-centric, and the history of gaming always favors consoles, though PCs have grown under "Moore's Law" exponentially, so PC gaming could be the king ultimately but software designers and engineer's efforts ultimately make the difference, not the hardware, without software, it's about as useful as a doorstop or paperweight! End of story

In your head mostly. "The history of gaming always favors consoles" where do you get this crap? How about you come up with actual facts next time you try to win an argument that is lost from the start hmm?

By the way. the dipshit is right about one thing:

It's not ending, not anytime soon.

Good luck.

Edited by TUN3R

For the record, I never called you a communist. There is a difference between 'are you a communist?' and 'you are a communist' hint: one of them is a question the other is a statement of fact, given your high command of the English language I thought you would have been able to figure that one out.

Also you managed to completely ignore the fact that these companies are not forcing people to buy their products. It is Rockstar and Microsofts (and anyone else for that matter) decision how they run their business, what their quality of products are like and how much they charge for them just as it is equally up to the individual whether or not they buy those products. Bottom line: don't like the product or think it isn't worth the price tag, news flash: don't fucking buy it

Also you managed to completely ignore the fact that these companies are not forcing people to buy their products. It is Rockstar and Microsofts (and anyone else for that matter) decision how they run their business, what their quality of products are like and how much they charge for them just as it is equally up to the individual whether or not they buy those products. Bottom line: don't like the product or think it isn't worth the price tag, news flash: don't fucking buy it

True! It's not a matter of legal or illegal, that was never in question. It's a matter of are they a bunch of rip-offs? And can I hate them for it? Yes:

Does Rockstar have demos for their games? No. Do they release gameplays before their game's release? Yes and no (mostly no). Do their clients know EXACTLY what they are buying? (hype aside) No, so all we have to go by are the edited cinematic trailers and Rockstar's good word.

Anyway that's not my issue with them, since I always make sure to obtain games "unofficially" before buying 'em. Only exception was... ahhh, GTA IV.

I'm not gonna explain Microsoft cause I've done it way too many times just in the last few days...

I'm still a fucking dipshit and that won't change anytime soon.

Noic dat.

Edited by TUN3R

The facts are as I presented them, PC gaming contingent would be large enough to justify the bulk of gaming going in that direction, and as such, it doesn't appear to be, so justify your own ideas on the matter, present some logic to that end, since Rockstar aren't the only ones making video games, and they aren't the only ones favoring consoles. Take the fact that I do out of the equation and quit your flaming. I presented in this discussion without any pretense to call people names and belittle them, make them feel the fool, but it seems you do a good job of that yourself, Tun3r

The facts are as I presented them, PC gaming contingent would be large enough to justify the bulk of gaming going in that direction, and as such, it doesn't appear to be, so justify your own ideas on the matter, present some logic to that end, since Rockstar aren't the only ones making video games, and they aren't the only ones favoring consoles. Take the fact that I do out of the equation and quit your flaming. I presented in this discussion without any pretense to call people names and belittle them, make them feel the fool, but it seems you do a good job of that yourself, Tun3r

Thanks! Anyway, you need to know what a fact is before you can present one. Same goes for logic. Just because they make sense to you doesn't mean they are true / correct / right / whatever.

I never implied Rockstar were the only ones, quite the opposite in fact. Thanks in large part to Microsoft's anti-PC-gaming scheeme, most developers these days favor consoles. Rockstar is just one of the best examples...

Facts cannot be argued with, and as you argue, all I see is resemblences of denial and resentment toward gaming companies. I'm just saying why it is the way it is, now and in any recent past you can remember. The consoles have stood an amazing test of time, given the contraint of aging hardware, and you have to take off your hat for the unending committment to make the best game possible, if it were solely greed and money as the aspirations of Rockstar or others, do you think 5 years or so spent making the game would make ANY sense?!?

Edited by BlackListedB

Facts cannot be argued with, and as you argue, all I see is resemblences of denial and resentment toward gaming companies. I'm just saying why it is the way it is, now and in any recent past you can remember. The consoles have stood an amazing test of time, given the contraint of aging hardware, and you have to take off your hat for the unending committment to make the best game possible, if it were solely greed and money as the aspirations of Rockstar or others, do you think 5 years or so spent making the game would make ANY sense?!?

You must lack a serious amount of brain cells buddy, read carefully: JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY THEY ARE FACTS DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE. Got that? Good.

Rockstar didn't spend five years developing GTA V. Nobody knows how much they spent but if my guess is correct, and if we take into consideration the fact that Max Payne 3 was also in development in this time, and the fact that GTA IV (which is also the base for GTA V) took three years to develop, I'd say they spent about two years on GTA V at best.

I never implied Rockstar were the only ones, quite the opposite in fact. Thanks in large part to Microsoft's anti-PC-gaming scheeme, most developers these days favor consoles. Rockstar is just one of the best examples...

Because they made one game that didn't get a PC release?

No, and iif you'd have read what I said before you'd know that's not what I said. But I guess that's too much to ask of ignorant fanboys.

You must lack a serious amount of brain cells buddy, read carefully: JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY THEY ARE FACTS DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE. Got that? Good.

Rockstar didn't spend five years developing GTA V. Nobody knows how much they spent but if my guess is correct, and if we take into consideration the fact that Max Payne 3 was also in development in this time, and the fact that GTA IV (which is also the base for GTA V) took three years to develop, I'd say they spent about two years on GTA V at best.

No, and iif you'd have read what I said before you'd know that's not what I said. But I guess that's too much to ask of ignorant fanboys.

@Bold: You do realise that Rockstar have several dev teams who work on different games right? Max Payne 3 was deved by Rockstar Vancouver, Grand Theft Auto V was deved by Rockstar North so your point doesn't really stand up...

@Underlined: I am not a fan boy at all I just happen to have opposing opinions to you, I am not sure why you are getting to uptight about it...

@Bold: You do realise that Rockstar have several dev teams who work on different games right? Max Payne 3 was deved by Rockstar Vancouver, Grand Theft Auto V was deved by Rockstar North so your point doesn't really stand up...

@Underlined: I am not a fan boy at all I just happen to have opposing opinions to you, I am not sure why you are getting to uptight about it...

@B: Max Payne 3 was developed by several Rockstar studios, and I can remember Sam Houser, Dan Houser and Leslie Benzie having their names first in the intro credits. Might wanna look that up again.

Grand Theft Auto V itself IS indeed developed by Rockstar North, but seeing as Max Payne 3 and LA Noire were just pigs for slaughter...

@U: Fanboys always get revolted and make things personal whenever someone talks bad about their favorite whatever. You fit the bill nicely.

Edited by TUN3R

There didn't need to be two topics about a Petition to Rockstar, but as I said, I'm into gaming PC technology to see what it morphs into in the years ahead, but there is also a factor in PC tech that trickles down to just about EVERYTHING, consoles not the least among them, but I would point to more factual information, CD ROM, recordable 'baby LaserDisc' became affordable to the masses based on computer proliferation. LaserDisc stayed viable in the market due to corporations adopting them, and Home Theater in the late 1980s and early 1990s, CD adoption took off since it's inception in 1983 based on it's size, 5 inch versus 12 inch, which was the norm for both vinyl records and Laserdisc optical format, though, and keep this in mind, NEITHER RECORDED content

The thing that's troubling is that making a game multiplatform doesn't steer in the strengths of PC tech versus a standard adoption for consoles, the games are thought to be dummed down, clear example is Crysis original to Crysis 2, which was an attempt to bring the series to console, many thought impossible before it came to actually be. Still, there is promise of Tech Trickle Down for consoles forthcoming, more on par with their PC brethren

I always hoped for a more MODULAR approach, like Meridian took with their Home Theater stereo surround systems, and Sega had attempted to do a modular upgrade for the Sega Genesis, a port stood dormant thoughout it's run.

As far as fanboy, there's a little bit of that in everyone, but it's because equal merit and time should be given to each product that merits it, praise for what it does right, not what it does wrong, if it's a failure, it fails to ultimately win any fans and staying power in the marketplace. PCs currently are set to morph as I said to SFF with a helluva lot more power then times past, this bodes well at least from the hardware standpoint.

The point made about Rockstar's key heads getting credit billing... How did I say anything different about who develops what? I said that ROCKSTAR GAMES getting credit means shared successes among the developer's assets are being used to speed along game building I would say, and that only bodes well for getting more elements in place for a 'winning' game build. It's normally thought of in terms of the left hand not knowing what the right one is doing because they work more segregated in the past

Edited by BlackListedB

Of course the Houser's were gunna be involved, do you not think that they are involved with most if not all projects undertaken by Rockstar? I did look it up actually and yes Max Payne 3 had contributions from pretty much if not all of the Rockstar studios but was deved mainly by Rockstar Vancouver. In my opinion I would not say that this suggests that any projects the other studios had on the go at the time got neglected as I think Rockstar are one of the better game studios out there, I have yet to play a game deved by Rockstar that I did not think was top notch. Having said that I haven't played every single game made by Rockstar by a long chalk.

Also I am not getting revolted or personal at all, as far as I am concerned we are just having a debate, you are the one getting personal with your whole 'oh you guys are just fanboys' routine.

The morphing of Rockstar studio divisions is done because of the budget and staffing, hence, one can also attribute their quality mission statement they have as well as not a lot of games in the skunk works at any given time.

Rockstar spent over 4 years making GTA V, I'd reset this idea you have that Max Payne was taking away from work on GTA, that's what the pundits think, but they're total outsiders and their assumptions don't take in all the data that's been presented over the years, as I said, being a constant member of GTAForums kept me rather updated on things in the space of 8 to 9 years

I'll post some links about the keypoints I've been reiterating in one way or another

Tried GTAForums search just now, I can't get that working, it done broke, but there is this older GTA IV section archive jumping off point...

http://www.gtaforums...8;f=120&st=

http://www.gamasutra..._themselves.php

If you can keep your childish antics in check, why not apply for a coveted position to help aid their PC programming end here?...

https://www.rockstar.../rockstar-north

edited due to browser crashing on my end

Edited by BlackListedB

I presented in this discussion without any pretense to call people names and belittle them, make them feel the fool, but it seems you do a good job of that yourself, Tun3r

It's legitimately all he's good at, in fact. I've not EVER witnessed one instance of him in any kind of discussion that did not involve him belittling someone, usually for nothing more than his own pleasure. Myself, I prefer face-to-face mental anguish to quench my sadism, but to each their own, right?

@B: Max Payne 3 was developed by several Rockstar studios, and I can remember Sam Houser, Dan Houser and Leslie Benzie having their names first in the intro credits. Might wanna look that up again.

Grand Theft Auto V itself IS indeed developed by Rockstar North, but seeing as Max Payne 3 and LA Noire were just pigs for slaughter...

@U: Fanboys always get revolted and make things personal whenever someone talks bad about their favorite whatever. You fit the bill nicely.

DEVELOPED by Rockstar Studios, or PUBLISHED by Rockstar Studios, because I feel you may not know the difference.

And that fan-boy comment was absolutely adorable. Says the one who gets beet-red with anger when someone down-talks Saints Row. It's incredibly entertaining watching you flame people for resorting to flaming people, go fanatical over a game then turn around and throw accusations of fanboyism, and then take a jab at humor by oh-so-cleverly changing my words in quotes JUST to go and throw my own judgment of you back on me as if "NO YOU!" has any support in any type of argument.

Oh, and run-on sentences, bitch. Because I can.

Well, I'd love to present direct links to things you could at least look at online for confirmation, but you have to actually set that goal in mind AHEAD of time, and you could very well archive a webpage or thread, or article as Google does or did in the past (they used to present web snapshots if the current link was not working, for any number of reasons)

Whatever I can find that may help, I'll tack on to the thread, but it is not as specific to PC development, but gives factual reasons why they do games firstly for console players, and though it's not exclusive domain of Rockstar or Take2, it is basic to how they do their business approach

http://games.ign.com...reators/17.html

http://games.ign.com/top-100-game-creators/16.html

Gabe is nearly a household name in game making, and he really hates consoles as well, so you likely like the guy! hahaha ^

Edited by BlackListedB

I have been re-reading this list if I did read it before, memories a bit fuzzy, but one of the factoid points I made here was that consoles proceeded video gaming on PC by a healthy, long shot... Evidenced here, our family owned an Odyssey, though not the original one. I sold it while I was unemployed, only to find the TV UHF/VHF connector after the fact. Dang! I'm only double posting due to the Edit of previous post expiring. I hope if you're a newbie to videogaming, and of course, enthralled by the high tech accomplishments with modern technology, think about the years spent developing to where we are now, I'd been doing just that since it was years and years with what are now passed off as archaic gaming attempts, the Coin Op original Arcade was where you went for the most authentic experience, not on home computers or console, as it was when I was growing up.

http://games.ign.com/top-100-game-creators/8.html

In addition, from the above, look at the mention of Unreal Engine, tell me that's not related to PC non-ported gaming builds...

Regarded by some as the current mastermind of real-time graphics, and the counterpart to id Software's John Carmack, graphics guru Tim Sweeney has had a gargantuan impact on the gaming world. Beginning with the creation of Epic Games (then called Epic MegaGames) in 1991, Tim Sweeney changed the face of videogames forever.

Aside from designing and programming games such as ZZT and Jill of the Jungle in the early 90's, Sweeney wrote the original Unreal Engine for use in the first-person shooter Unreal. This landmark introduced breakthrough technologies that included dynamic colored lighting, volumetric fog, and real-time 3D level-building tools. Consequently it became the basis of games across the PC platform and multiple videogame consoles.

Sweeney has gone on to direct Epic's engine development through the current generation of gaming, where Unreal Engine 3 has garnered the support of many of the gaming industry's heavy-hitting companies (Atari, Capcom, Konami, and Square-Enix to name a few) and is now powering everything from the tactical shooters Gears of War 2 and Rainbow Six 6 Vegas to the turn-based RPG Lost Odyssey.

In a 2008 interview with Team Xbox, Sweeney discussed his plans for UE3 and UE4, saying, "Unreal Engine 3 will last throughout this whole console cycle. I expect that youll see games shipping with Unreal Engine 3 in 2011, 2012 and may be even a year after that... For games that begin shipping in 2012, well have Unreal Engine 4, whatever that is, with a major new architecture and major new feature set, and there youll see significant changes..."

Whatever those significant changes are, we can only imagine. However, thanks to Tim Sweeney's extraordinary contributions, we know that those changes will continue to revolutionize the look of games for years to come.

Tim Sweeney helped craft it and is quoted above. RAGE and Euphoria are the engine and middle-ware used by Rockstar but developed mainly for GTA as a franchise, but as you can tell, used in part for Max Payne 3 and Red Dead Redemption. Their engine sets about to do much the same for their game builds.

Addendums to add in this final repost...

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/web?fcoid=417&fcop=topnav&fpid=27&q=Sam+and+Dan+Houser%27s+early+gaming+history&ql=

What I used to get some new articles hopefully ^

As well, basically Sam Houser talking about Sony's Playstation 3 as it was introduced for E3, way back when...

Planet GTA was a sister site to GTAF for some time, now their webmaster is a staff member, I believe. (IIRC)

Edited by BlackListedB

You realise you could have just edited your first post, as opposed to posting another 2 times right? Just saying ;)

He's a moron in case that wasn't obvious enough.

Just because you believe something to be a fact doesn't mean that it is a fact

True. Maybe you tell him that.