Sony PS4 Announcement

Chris

Well, it was announced a few hours ago. I'll add details on it later in this post. But what are your thoughts so far?

The system itself wasn't actually show, although the controller was, a more refined version of the current DualShock 3 controller and with an added touchpad.

Specs:

krFVrtE.png

8GB of RAM - PS3 only had 512MB so although it sounds weak it's a pretty massive jump if you think about what devs will be able to do with it.

Kotaku has a concise round-up of all the things announced in case you missed the conference stream.

Personally, some of the stuff seemed gimmicky, other stuff seemed pretty cool. In terms of games, most I wasn't interested in, but Killzone 4 (I love that franchise) and WATCH_DOGS both looked awesome. Can't wait to see more of Watch Dogs actually. Also, Capcom's Deep Down looks pretty awesome, I thought the lighting, shadows, and reflections in particular looked very good.

One thing I really did like was the suspend/resume feature. You can just power off the console while in a game and when you come back you power it back on and you're instantly back in the game again, no waiting for stuff to load, that's cool.

Streaming games to the Vita seems cool although I don't have one. If they give that ability to phones and tablets that could be a BIG thing.

All the social stuff I'm not that fussed about. Although the video streaming/sharing seems useful. Being able to let an online friend take control and help you in a game if you're stuck is a nifty little thing too.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not really that amazed with the social features. Sims 3 has a social sharing feature, but I barely use it anyway. As for the Teamviewer-style friend control, well, that would be neato.

Architecture-wise, the move to an x86, commodity PC platform is a welcome move, but it's moot considering that you won't have any PS3 backwards-compatibility, and adding the Cell and the RSX on a PS4 would bloat the price tag up.

inb4 hacker projects attempting to run Windows or Linux on the PS4... :P

Not GTA V. GTA VI will definitely be on these next gen consoles though.

I think GTA V has been too long in development for them to have had any time to dedicate to it. Also the original release date was long before the PS4 would have been out, and even the current release date is before the PS4, so no, we won't see GTA V on it.

Just added more info to the original post for anyone who missed the conference stream.

Not GTA V. GTA VI will definitely be on these next gen consoles though.

I think GTA V has been too long in development for them to have had any time to dedicate to it. Also the original release date was long before the PS4 would have been out, and even the current release date is before the PS4, so no, we won't see GTA V on it.

Just added more info to the original post for anyone who missed the conference stream.

They might have a PS4 devkit before the platform was formally announced, but idk.

CAN IT RUN PS2 GAMES??? @_@

I believe they said no backwards compatibility (don't quote me on that) but I'm sure the PSN will still be supplying PS2 classics.

Here's a thought: Does anyone know whether or not the console will even be disc based? I may have missed some details, but they seemed to be really focusing on the downloading aspect of it.

CAN IT RUN PS2 GAMES??? @_@

I believe they said no backwards compatibility (don't quote me on that) but I'm sure the PSN will still be supplying PS2 classics.

Here's a thought: Does anyone know whether or not the console will even be disc based? I may have missed some details, but they seemed to be really focusing on the downloading aspect of it.

In that case fuck it.

Yeah they said it would be able to stream PS1, 2 and 3 games. Which implies no software/hardware emulation in the console itself unfortunately. I still have my actual PS2 for playing old PS1/2 games anyway so I don't care so much, plus I don't play them often enough. However it does suck that it's not backwards compatible. Oh well.

• Like 1

I think Playstation 4 sounds good enuff on paper, but what most fans I know want is a less expensive and befuddled introduction at least, that means not one SKU at $600 and then reduced function SKUs later for a savings of $50USD if you're lucky!

The new DualShock DS4, looks nice, but the touch panel is pretty dang small!, live sharing of recorded gameplay will bode well, allowing online friends to play hard sections of games on your system remotely, seems a thing common with some hard GTA missions I know about first hand! haha

8Gigabytes of GDDR5 sounds great, but there wasn't an elaboration on whether that type of Ram is used for system, graphics GPU or what?? Normally the G means graphics, not standard DDR we see in PCs.

• Like 1

I can't tell whether I'm going with Sony or Microsoft for the next generation, but we'll see. I'll have to wait for the prices to drop so I have time to decide. PS4 looks decent but I've heard rumors that both next gen systems will not have the ability to play used games, and that you may have to pay extra to unlock them like EA currently does. That would be terrible and I would skip out on the next generation if those rumors are true.

I'd say after looking at the specs, I think PS3 will again aid in bringing newer tech to the most consumers with it's adoption of USB 3.0, however, an even faster serial interface I heard could supplant it within the PS4's life span!

http://www.whoratesit.com/Faq/USB-40-and-USB-30-release-datesspeeds/1

The BluRay continues, thankfully, some people thought disc media might fall by the wayside, even commercial DVDs, however, you can still buy new vinyl LPs in this day and age because analog still rules over digital. While digital in our lives pervades due to it's native state being in line with electronic circuits by their very nature.

Edited by BlackListedB
  • Like 1