New GTAV Trailers! Michael. Franklin. Trevor.

Chris

Here they are, three brand new trailers for GTA V. Enjoy!

Over 160 screenshots taken from the trailer have been added to our gallery. Some of these are referenced in our summary of what we saw in the trailers below.

Analysis

Michael

Michael's trailer shows how he is trying to maintain his and his family's luxurious lifestyle all while trying to manage his anger issues, which often come out in the form of some explosive scenes. Michael reveals he is "rich and miserable" as he talks to his therapist - something which doesn't appear to be working particularly effectively.

• Song: Queen - Radio GaGa
  • Breast physics! Something that will surely excite the adolescent fans. We briefly see this with a girl dancing, and later a bikini-clad woman jumping out of the way of oncoming bikes. To be fair to the Rockstar devs, they actually bounce realistically and not in the exaggerated way you may have seen in the Dead of Alive franchise.
  • Michael drives a red Sentinel has a vanity plate that reads "KRYST4L" - interestingly his wife's name is Amanda and daughter is Tracy. Who Krystal is remains a mystery. In the opening scene, the Sentinel has a different plate.
  • We see a Securicar being smashed into by a tow truck which then crashes through a wall. This is most likely a cutscene, nonetheless we're still hopeful for some destructible elements in the environment.
  • Some brands we see are the Vapid car dealership, as well as the Vangelico jewellery store.
  • After the helicopter chase scene we see Michael crashing through a window and taking a hostage - this is likely the mission GameInformer saw in their world exclusive preview.
  • A victim is sniped and his corpse clearly shows an exit wound caused by the bullet.
  • The jet engines of a large aircraft (hopefully pilotable) are powerful enough to blast what appears to be a new model of police car up barrel rolling into the air.

Franklin

Franklin's trailer shows him to have a completely different lifestyle to Michael's. He doesn't have the riches, but he certainly has the street smarts and knowledge of how to handle guns.

• Song: Jay Rock feat. Kendrick Lamar - Hood Gone Luv It
  • First off we see a man cleaning a Buffalo which possibly has a slightly customised paint job. This could hint at some car customisation in the game, or may simply be a different model.
  • While Franklin's dog Chop is still the only dog we've had a proper look at (not counting the one on the beach in the first trailer), the man he is talking with (his friend Lamar) can clearly be seen holding a dog lead. We suspect dog ownership will be fairly commonplace.
  • A gangbanger shot in one of the following scenes also shows an exit wound to the side of his back.
  • In a helicopter chase, we get a glimpse of the helicopter cockpit. Cockpit view when driving vehicles is something that fans have been asking for ever since GTA III, whether or not we'll see this in all vehicles remains to be seen. It could just be part of this cutscene, or perhaps only an option when flying large aircraft where the "behind view" is somewhat obstructive due to the aircraft's size.
  • In the police chase this is part of we can definitely see improvements to lighting effects, and in many other scenes too.
  • Butts to gawk at.
  • Weapons attachments - the shotgun Franklin wields in this scene has a tactical light mounted to it - another indication of customisable weapons.
  • Fire animations look a lot better than GTA IV's and much more realistic.
  • Finally, it's worth pointing out that throughout the trailer we see an awful lot of green (Grove Street Families) and some purple (Ballas), as well as graffiti alluding to Grove Street. Some fans have been vocal on forums and Twitter hoping for a cameo from CJ and/or other characters from San Andreas. It is quite possible some less famous characters will make cameo appearances.

Trevor

Finally, Trevor's trailer provides a lot a comic relief as he firmly cements himself as being a hilariously disgusting and psychotic maniac. Much of the noteworthy points have already been made while looking at Michael's and Franklin's trailers, but there are a couple of things worth mentioning in this one.

• Song:
  • The Lost is confirmed to have a chapter in Los Santos. We see evidence of this in one of the first scenes where Trevor twats a Lost member round the face with a baseball bat. The unfortunate man is wearing a Lost jacket. The Lost logo is seen later on much more clearly in the background of this scene.
  • NPC's are shown to use their mobile phones to capture footage of Trevor's mental actions. It would be interesting if NPC's witnessed you committing crimes would call the police to your location, and if you could kill them before they were able to make the call...
  • More hints at car customisation with various vehicles in various scenes that appear to have some modifications when compared to their standard models.
  • We a see an old lady attempt to stop Trevor from strangling a man who is presumably her husband, by flailing her handbag at him. It's possible that NPC AI will cause them to react based on events happening nearby.
  • We get a much better look at those sexy new fire animations.

New artwork was also released today, featuring the three main characters.

michael_l_th.jpg franklin_l_th.jpg trevor_l_th.jpg

So, which trailer was your favourite?

Wowee, Zowee!

I wouldn't have imagined such bountiful riches from Rockstar, so early on, if you count nearly two years as early, postponing GTA so the designers and programmers can finally get some breathing room. Finishing the book Jacked in the past month gives plenty of prospective on how much work went into the hours and hours of GTA product we wind up with. Some people STILL take that all for granted. The big thing is pushing GTA in a new direction with three main leads in one single game, taking the DLC idea I'm sure, as the germ for how to do such a thing within one Grand Theft game

Anywho, Kudos to Rockstar is deserved for their hard work, but I tell ya, Still think it's taking FAR too LONG for one GTA, which might have been better offered in smaller bites, releasing a section of one major map to play through at a time, would they make more money this way?? I think they could, actually

Anywho, Kudos to Rockstar is deserved for their hard work, but I tell ya, Still think it's taking FAR too LONG for one GTA, which might have been better offered in smaller bites, releasing a section of one major map to play through at a time, would they make more money this way?? I think they could, actually

I'm worried because of this. Rockstar seems to really be going all out with this game. and generally when companies go all out, it means theyre ending the series. metal gear solid for example, originally, MGS4 was supposed to be the last game and they went waaaaayyyyyyyyy all out.

They're ending this iteration of RAGE for Xbox360 and Playstation 3, the new PS4 will be an entirely new breed of hardware, but likely sharing more in common with PCs and Xbox then ever before. It should and is planned to be easier for developers to get into making games on, so I think like Rockstar HAS done in the past, they'll switch over to making new gen games as soon as they can, and that hardware is set to appear in the next year and a half!

My thinking on this seems justified based on how they eagerly approached the new hardware, Sam Houser's on camera interview at E3 was in 2005, at that time, they were approaching how to write games on the latest hardware, this will be the only use of the Cell processor in gaming consoles. I'd hoped they could break down the barrier that held it back, but too many game makers struggled with it, and the Cell itself was never refined enough for gaming from a hardware standpoint

Edited by BlackListedB

The story is what's mostly a mystery, what we've seen is characteristic behaviors associated with the three protagonists, and some of the typical goings-on in any GTA game, what amused me though, for one example, Michael's wife appears to be having an affair, and this is a new dynamic, as well as having kids, albeit, grown up kids, appearing in any GTA.... that as well as how we will shift in and out of each protagonist as the game progresses, STILL a lot of unknowns, but it's damn ambitious since I think Rockstar IS breaking new ground for gaming in general as well as GTA as a franchise

The story is what's mostly a mystery, what we've seen is characteristic behaviors associated with the three protagonists, and some of the typical goings-on in any GTA game, what amused me though, for one example, Michael's wife appears to be having an affair, and this is a new dynamic, as well as having kids, albeit, grown up kids, appearing in any GTA.... that as well as how we will shift in and out of each protagonist as the game progresses, STILL a lot of unknowns, but it's damn ambitious since I think Rockstar IS breaking new ground for gaming in general as well as GTA as a franchise

Breaking new ground? Oh by slowing the plot down with family and such? Sorry to disappoint you but that's nothing new. People like giving Rockstar undeserved credit.

On a side note, Franklin apears to wear a lot of green... and isn't that Compton at 2:14? Huh, might be something to that Grove Street bullshit after all...

Edited by TUN3R

For the analysis, what do you think about the police cars in Franklin's trailer? Those aren't LAPD cruisers, so maybe theres 2 cities? or rockstar decided to use a generic looking police car instead of an exact replica of an LAPD car. I hope we still see LAPD cars in 5 cuz it was cool seeing exact replicas of NYPD cars in 4

@Tun3r, You're not banned yet, are you? Devil's Advocate to the end, I must say. What I meant was having these dynamic operable protagonists, DUMMY! hahaha

Not family life, but every time GTA comes out in another installment, adding to plot devices remains a challenge. For me, I don't mind missions requiring you to travel to some place to get something to take somewhere else, you travel the complete map whether tasked to do so or not, if you aren't, then you don't understand GTA gaming very well

As for the kitchen sink, looks like they threw that in there as well! YEP, I spotted it! hahaha