Any programmers here?

Sherman

Well you know I am :P

PHP, and a little bit of Python (Django) for web stuff.

Objective C for iOS apps.

Also know some basic Java for Android apps, enough to make my cheats apps at least.

Dom also does web stuff, just PHP I think.

Where did you learn from? I picked up a free online book and started reading today. I think it's a little dated, written in 1996 and they're talking about Lisp (which I've never heard of lol) but yeah. I'm more interested in creating apps for phones and even programs for pc/mac/ etc

@Blacklisted: I;ll have to shoot him a PM when I gather my thoughts up :D

Also know some basic Java for Android apps, enough to make my cheats apps at least.

Was researching today and I actually am planning to learn similar languages. Python for starters and Java later,  then C++ and C (Is this the same as Objective C? I dunno..) I'm getting pretty interested, though. Do you have any books or online resources that you'd recommend?

Was researching today and I actually am planning to learn similar languages. Python for starters and Java later, then C++ and C (Is this the same as Objective C? I dunno..) I'm getting pretty interested, though. Do you have any books or online resources that you'd recommend?

C++ isn't the same as Objective C. Objective C is more "powerful" than C++ even though it's older, and has a strict superset of C/C++. Edited by KyleIce45

They're all different. C was a programming language developed in the early 70s which became incredibly popular, you wouldn't code in C today. Instead you'd go with one of the languages it influenced that built upon and improved it.

C++

This is one of the most popular languages in the world. Loads of videogames are programmed in this, as are Windows and Linux programs.

C# (C Sharp)

This is Microsoft's implementation of the C language. Only need to learn this if you'll be writing apps exclusively for Windows (more popular with newer systems I think, so Windows 8 and Windows Phone). Visual Basic .NET is probably more popular for developing Windows programs.

Objective C

Similar to C# but this is Apple's implementation of C. Learn this if you want to develop apps exclusively for Mac OS X and/or iOS. Note that you will need a Mac to code in this as it requires Xcode.

I don't like Java, but it's actually a good language to learn I think, it's very popular and if you're looking to develop Android apps then you're going to need it. In any school/college/uni that teaches any kind of programming, chances are you'll start out with Java. It's good for teaching the principals of learning to program.

For web related stuff, I started out with PHP, it was typically seen as an easy language to learn and you could be pretty lazy with it, due to this it got a bit of a bad reputation for being insecure. But in the last couple of years it's improved a lot and is more like a proper programming language now. If you're going to learn it, make sure any books or tutorials you're learning from are targeted to PHP 5 or 6. Preferably 5.3 or above as that's when it started improving substantially.

I did learn from a book myself but it's irrelevant now as PHP 4 was the latest version at the time. I read through it and it did all the exercises. While doing this I would also read tutorials online that taught me how to write scripts to do various things, explaining what the code is doing etc. so I found it fairly easy to modify and make it do what I want. It's pretty easy to find whole scripts people have put online. Sometimes I would download ones that interested me, or that did something I wanted to know how to do, and I would just look through the code to see how they did it. I just kinda learned like that really. Never had any formal teaching.

With Python I haven't actually done much yet, but if I actually put some time and effort in I could probably pick it up pretty quickly. I'd certainly recommend it. Again, plenty of tutorials online you could start with.

I don't really know of any good websites with tutorials for beginners to be honest. I would just search for "PHP tutorials for beginners" for example and check out the first page of links.

• Like 1

When I look at PC game boxes, I wonder about this Bink Video we've seen proliferating as a source for building or component used in various games. Of course things like Crytek's engine are helping to provide a platform to build more then one game on, just looking at gaming mind you. Apps would be centering around Andriod, Apple, and Microsoft Windows phone for the handheld segment of the market