Non Fanboy Xbox360 version VS Playstation 3

BlackListedB

Well I have both, I switched to PS3 gaming a while back but still have loads of friends I wanna play online with that have 360. So I thought fuck it, I'll just get both.

I played a couple of hours of 360 version, then my PS3 version arrived and I've played 3 or 4 hours on that now.

I honestly haven't noticed much difference at all between the two versions. The graphics seem pretty much the same, on the 360 the blacks maybe a little darker and whites a little brighter, could have just been my slightly different calibration settings though so I won't comment any further on that. I'd really need to see screenshots side by side to properly notice stuff like that.

One noticeable difference I felt was car handling. Perhaps it was just the fact I got used to it after a couple of hours on 360, but I definitely felt driving cars was a lot better on PS3. The analog sticks aren't as sensitive as the 360 ones, so it's a lot easier to make more precise movements, which helps massively when driving fast through traffic.

Aside from that, nothing else to report on yet, I doubt I'll play much of the 360 version though, not until Online launches.

• Like 1

I applaud Rockstar for making GTA V a complete digital based download on PSN, which of course brought on another set of issues. As we know.

Now the game is out, the leaks won't matter much. Had to be careful on Rockstar's own site with any mention of the leaks, so I'm glad I let it blissfully pass without scouring endlessly for them.

Now with game in hand, I feel the crash handling physics is the toughest issue to overcome in enjoying what is the final product. Color, animations, loading of textures and sound streaming all seem rather fine on the Xbox360, and I was worried with the prior GTA freezing up on me, It happened in the past month, though nothing like GTA IV had been on PS3 which I originally bought, paying over $400 at the time on my first one.

I don't wish for people to abuse this thread or anyone's forum with the type of ranting you see on YouTube, it's beyond childish, so the main hope is anyone commenting have some experience with the system and games before they critique something they don't own.

I would hope garnering views of experience from each set of owners help determine if the game really varies at all between them, or if marginally so, how?

I should append this by mentioning for XB360 you get two discs, one installs just over 8GB to the HDD or memory module of your choosing, the other is left in as you play, the game actually seems to load faster then the stand alone Episodes or GTA IV, but not a whole lot, if you were to compare SATA to SSD for example.

I think it was roughly 5 or 6 minutes, and I believe, compared to my use of USB 3.0 on my computers, probably moved somewhere around 20MB per second. Anyone time it? I did a short vid clip and thought about using my iPod's stop watch to time how long it really takes.

Edited by BlackListedB

Playing GTA V some more, covering the outskirts "up North" in the game, once you're nearly on top of some ground, you see the resolution and textures fill in completely, though draw distance is wide and long, or large, the textures complexity is held off for only things in the foreground.

This is true of the Xbox360 version I'm playing, not sure on PS3 of course, but I think this is due to the higher resolutions used throughout the game.

BTW, mine is set for HDMI at 1080P, now I have the online updates installed, so my Xbox looks best at HDMI input, or output, and using MS's Component cable as an alternative. I bought their HD VGA and am suitably UNEMPRESSED. It's Not HD, and can't compete with PCs using DVI to HDMI even. I was greatly disappointed since VGA allows a number of computer monitors to be used with your console!

Edited by BlackListedB

With the PS3 version, you only get the one disk, but it still installs 8GBs of data onto the hard drive.  So far, the gameplay has been smooth and quite enjoyable as it is impressive. No where near as intuitive as previous GTA's have been(I'd put it on as a slightly greater edge on the learning curve than GTA IV, which was a bit of a shock to get use to, but still easier than V). So far I've only completed one mission but I've made it to the top of Mt. Chilliad(and managed to fail my first skydive), and have successfully become proficient at aircraft flight.

So far, I don't find the visuals to be overly-stunning compared to GTA IV, but they are definitely noticeably better, and the water I have found to be quite nice to look at. 

Got a posting on GTAC about the PS3 version I gather, that there maybe a discernable issue regarding aliasing, or jagged appearing pixel edged graphics, typically something that's supposed to appear to have a smooth curvature, you see where box shaped pixels still stand out in their true nature. To some degree this is unavoidable, but on my HiDef set, the images are not in my list of faults, so by and large, looks better then GTA IV, but in comparison to RDR, hard to say really, there's some shared game design elements I believe, since GTA V does share some of the finer attributes that RDR brought us

Edited by BlackListedB

• 2 weeks later...

One noticeable difference I felt was car handling. Perhaps it was just the fact I got used to it after a couple of hours on 360, but I definitely felt driving cars was a lot better on PS3. The analog sticks aren't as sensitive as the 360 ones, so it's a lot easier to make more precise movements, which helps massively when driving fast through traffic.

Agreed. I play on the 360 but have had the chance to play it multiple times on PS3 too. The controllers really made a difference. It took me a day or two to get good at driving on the 360 but only 1 - 2 minutes on the PS3.

I've seen much to me surprise with Red Dead Redemption that the maximum HD for Playstation 3 is only 720 Progressive, whereas on Xbox360 you get 1080i or 1080P at the top of current resolution modes. Not all PS3 games are limited to 720, and this is progressive over say, 1080 interlace.

There's marginal improvements stepping up to 1080 but it can be something one can learn to live with, it can also depend a good deal on the TV or monitor in question.

I've played RDR using Xbox and PS3 now, and I can say, it's a bit disappointing that it can't upscale effectively, if that's the case. Many have argued these finer points, but it's still impressive digital video resolution, and I'm seeing it on a 32inch display, the larger the display, it may be more of an issue as you see deficiencies that more clearly when enlarged well beyond native scale.

The controller, PS2 and 1 I spent many a year playing, and Xbox's I was really not fond of straight away, but that's changed nearly to a reverse stance, you do adopt rather well to MS' layout for it's controller shared with Windows PCs, but because I use both, I bought a generic PS3 controller with driver disc to also use with PC games!

It's a bit of double personality trying to feel comfortable using both, but it's not an impossible thing either.

It feels like moving the analog sticks from directly in front of each other to MS's choice felt like an improvement over time, now with PS4 changing the PS controller for the first time since the banana PS3 design was roundly dismissed, and it will come out as it's been shown, we'll want some feedback on how that controller feels put up against the two we have now. Also note that generic Non Sony, Non Microsoft controllers can act and feel differently themselves.

Edited by BlackListedB