I'm on Linux :)

Chris

Hey I'm posting on here using RedHat Linux 8, It's so different to XP (obviously) and the only browsers I got are Konqueror and Mozilla, but Konqueror doesn't support tabbed browsing so I'm using Mozilla right now, I did try installing FireFox but it got an error halfway through. Obviously MSN doesn't work so I'm trying to get some msn "clone" programs installed but can't get them to work so I'm just using e-messenger.

Lol it's a bit weird, and this site looks totally fucked, earlier the animated emoticons were going 10 times faster than usual which was quite funny :P

It's stopped now. The text is small as hell though, I took a print screen (which is cool because a little box pops up asking me where to save it :) )

I've attached it below, I'll try and get some more shit working later....

post-2-1121565347_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Yes, it is 2:51 AM :mellow:

Yea okay, Windows has its problems. Its insecure, volatile, annoying, slow, and American. But lets face it, Windows XP Pro is the greatest Operating System around

The difference between Windows and Linux? WINDOWS ACTUALLY DOES STUFF

Linux is more secure (it doesnt have many features, so it can block 99% of holes). Linux runs faster (cos it doesnt do anything).

On most Linux OS', as Chris found out, you can't run many of the applications Windows users take for granted: MS Office, Games (including GTA), music and DVDs (often fucks up).

Why the hell run a Linux operating system if you cant use the basic tools and features of modern PCs, then why the hell run it. Well the main use of *nix systems is that of web servers. Linux systems are ideal for this. They are secure, so they dont get hacked. They dont run useless programs, like animated WIMP interfaces (eg: explorer.exe), cos you dont need it - you just run a nice simple WHM/cPanel application which should do everything you need to. More complex things can be done though SSH (equivalent of DOS).

Linux is a simple, empty, secure operating system that can be built on to do any one specific job. Looking fancy and being a multimedia powerhouse is usually not one of them. Mind you, there are some very slick interfaces, especially in the login system, and (as Chris has demonstrated) its pretty fun to find an alternative to something we automatically hate with no real reason.

Anyway, why does everybody seem to hate Microsoft? Truthfully, where would you be if you wilfully removed every trace of Microsoft Corporation from your house and office? Well a VB.net CD case is holding up my computer desk, so i'd be fucked if that went. Both my PCs (usually) run XP, but wherever possible i use MSN Messenger (DIE AIM), WMP10 (Winamps shit) and MS Office, which is the only really decent Office Suite (Sun Star Office, its clone Open Office, and Microsoft Works (!) don't come close). Apart from IE6, i back Micosoft products all the way. What do we use on our DC? Windows Server 2003.

A few good reasons not to use Linux are cos you cant have WMP, MS Office, MSN or play games. There are workarounds, but its not worth the hassle - you'll end up breaking your system, or making it slower and less secure than Windows. Just use XP, and be happy. One reason many turn to Linux is got they get bored of XP - Why not skin it (use TuneUp Utilities NOT WINDOWS BLINDS!!), change the logon screen (TUU again), get some fancy desktops and screensavers, and enough decent apps (Firefox, San Andreas, MSN, Photoshop, Unreal Tournament, 3DS Max) to keep you through the summer.

EDIT: Yes, it is 4:14 AM :mellow:

I use KNOPPIX and it's very fast. I would switch to it(I could buy a new hard drive and copy all the files off of the KNOPPIX cd in which case it would become Debian Linux) but none of the games today work on it. Mostly because those Microsoft assholes don't want Open Source stuff to dominate the market(which it is, Firefox is an excellent example). I could use WINE(the Microsoft OS Emulator for Linux) and it works very well on emulators for Sega Genesis and stuff like that, but it doesn't work on games like San Andreas because I think I need KNOPPIX installed on a hard drive so it can create dlls and stuff I don't know. My opinion on Microsoft: Shit-can it.

one small point, Firefox doesn't dominate the market. It SHOULD, considering it is the best browser, with the best extensions, and the best support of correctly-made sites, but Internet Explorer still holds around 90% of the web browser market. Microsoft are still shitting themselves about this, and are bringing out IE7, which has a few of Firefox's features, including tabbed browsing, and better support of correctly made sites. I think i'll stick with my fox though. So is Open Source software better? In the case of Operating Systems, I'd be more inclined to trust XP.

I've seen screen shots of Longhorn and all they are of is a "dumbass-i-fied" version of XP.  Plus MS will come out with like 5 versions of Longhorn before the BIG OS of 2010 will come out.  So don't waste your money.

Hes right about MS there. Linux rules notheless. Just download KNOPPIX from http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html burn it to a CD, reboot your pc and youve got Linux up and running.