MarlenesFutureDad

Which Internet Browser do you prefer?

For the longest time, I used Windows Internet Explorer. Around 2012, I noticed that IE wasn't loading certain articles properly and it was giving me lots of pop-up messages about the most minor things. It even constantly asks me to install and update third-party plug-ins on a monthly basis.  I switched to Google Chrome around then and I feel more at ease with the Internet experience.

Studies have shown that people who use Internet Explorer on the weekdays at work and Google Chrome on the weekend prefer Google Chrome over top of Internet Explorer.

The question do you is, do you like Google Chrome or do you prefer the more "corporate" look of Windows Internet Explorer? Perhaps you might be a Firefox fan or crave the good old days of Netscape.

• Like 1

Google Chrome is part of a subset of Google software applications including OS so I'd say it's safest in some sense, built around the ability to 'sandbox' online means only the browser might be prone to attack, but emails are much more dangerous I believe, where unsuspectingly you can allow malware to infiltrate your computer unwittingly

Never do that without serious thought about what it could be you're downloading, I worry about downloads from browser links too, but as long as you keep one or more AVS.

I do keep at times two browsers per system, if not including Internet Exporer.

Remember that Microsoft's own innocious browser and OS had to change with the perilious times with public pressure as well as it's wide consumer base being business use and non-techies. This meant that threats in the Cyber world we see perhaps now increasing more in 2015.... had to be addressed.

When I bought my PC in 2001, or thereabouts, I was averse to Anti Virus fees so I opted out, I didn't think there was any free AV available at that time. Defender for Microsoft became a needed free addendum and of course MS's OS Firewall.

Not to spend too long on virus and malware, it's part of what I think makes the ultimate selection for browser choice, use, and where it's used... say home network of course, more safe, Wifi Hotspot, much less so.

The other key features I like most are zoom capability, tabs, link database to recall instantly and being able to customize browser window views.

At times I still use Opera which offers versions for mobile devices, and one might think with it's not so obvious option to surf the same web, it falls much less under the malware gun by targetting of cyber hackers-criminals. They'll most likely try for the most used browsers and computer systems. Or if we could figure out what they're doing, we could say for sure they're targetting obvious loopholes that are known, whichever system or browser that is.

I'd often wondered if you're safer now to go online with Windows 98 or ME then the latest computer because of the transition away from older tech. Did you know the US Military rely on HUGE old school floppy disks to store sensitive data on? I saw this on a TV special report.... They do this in the defence network so the data is on a medium that's obsolete but still works! hahaha

Oh, and besides Chrome, Firefox and IE, ...and Opera (closing some of it's features I hear, due to cost or the lack of users perhaps, sad but true.... you also have Apple's Safari. If we all used Apple online or offline computer wise, the cyber hackers would target them, it's just a sad fact that people tend to think of as Apple Macs must be much safer then Windows PCs, but it's just a matter of popularity

Edited by BlackListedB
  • Like 1

Google Chrome is part of a subset of Google software applications including OS so I'd say it's safest in some sense, built around the ability to 'sandbox' online means only the browser might be prone to attack, but emails are much more dangerous I believe, where unsuspectingly you can allow malware to infiltrate your computer unwittingly

Never do that without serious thought about what it could be you're downloading, I worry about downloads from browser links too, but as long as you keep one or more AVS.

I do keep at times two browsers per system, if not including Internet Exporer.

Remember that Microsoft's own innocious browser and OS had to change with the perilious times with public pressure as well as it's wide consumer base being business use and non-techies. This meant that threats in the Cyber world we see perhaps now increasing more in 2015.... had to be addressed.

When I bought my PC in 2001, or thereabouts, I was averse to Anti Virus fees so I opted out, I didn't think there was any free AV available at that time. Defender for Microsoft became a needed free addendum and of course MS's OS Firewall.

Not to spend too long on virus and malware, it's part of what I think makes the ultimate selection for browser choice, use, and where it's used... say home network of course, more safe, Wifi Hotspot, much less so.

The other key features I like most are zoom capability, tabs, link database to recall instantly and being able to customize browser window views.

At times I still use Opera which offers versions for mobile devices, and one might think with it's not so obvious option to surf the same web, it falls much less under the malware gun by targetting of cyber hackers-criminals. They'll most likely try for the most used browsers and computer systems. Or if we could figure out what they're doing, we could say for sure they're targetting obvious loopholes that are known, whichever system or browser that is.

I'd often wondered if you're safer now to go online with Windows 98 or ME then the latest computer because of the transition away from older tech. Did you know the US Military rely on HUGE old school floppy disks to store sensitive data on? I saw this on a TV special report.... They do this in the defence network so the data is on a medium that's obsolete but still works! hahaha

Oh, and besides Chrome, Firefox and IE, ...and Opera (closing some of it's features I hear, due to cost or the lack of users perhaps, sad but true.... you also have Apple's Safari. If we all used Apple online or offline computer wise, the cyber hackers would target them, it's just a sad fact that people tend to think of as Apple Macs must be much safer then Windows PCs, but it's just a matter of popularity

Windows 98 was the good old days of computer. I doubt that Google Chrome would work on a Windows 98 computer but I felt safer on the Internet during 1998 than I do today. I mostly play emulator games, look at Wikipedia and check up on my e-mail because I don't feel like risking my computer doing other things. And I don't even play the new Super Mario ROM hacks, I usually play the ones made from 2002-2004. That way, I know that they're good and nothing is going to surprise me.

I never did Windows ME but I heard from PC Gamer that they were crap for playing PC games on.

I've never heard of the Opera Internet browser but it's sad to see that they're cutting down features because nobody is using it.

Anyway, I hope that Google Chrome remains my main browser for years to come because I started to get nervy about Windows Internet Explorer around 2012 or so.

If you're like me, you kept installers you took the trouble to download for years and years of computing.... at least since 2000.

I have various revisions just kept to archive, and Google Chrome is probably the most recent, whereas Firefox and Opera date back further I believe.

Now, it's best to find the last revision for compatible OS of course, but targetting by hackers is likely only to be at it's peak on the most popular platform, leaving Windows 95 browsing back in safe anonymity! hahahaha

BTW, Opera is used on some portable devices and as browser on some SMART TV Wifi capable HD-TV sets!

Edited by BlackListedB
  • Like 1

I use Waterfox at the moment, plus I use add-ons like NoScript and AdBlocker so I'm not being traced everywhere I go. :P

Never heard of Waterfox. But then again, I still believe that 32-bit computing is viable in 2015; as long as you don't like complex Windows PC games or things more complicated than Wikipedia, doing surveys online or playing emulator games for the NES/SNES/Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive.

Edited by RyanVG