TGP in ie7

Well i'm using ie7 right now, and i quite like it.

It is a complete copy of Firefox, with almost identical context menus and tabs (tabbed browsing is new for ie). Its sleek design matches the latest Aero build on this version of Windows Vista (used to be Longhorn) which i happen to also be using. The browser isn't the only part of the OS thats copied. The animations and design look like an ipod, but in the familiar Windows layout.

A few things have changed though - ie actually shows pages well, it seems to be nice and secure, its got a couple of new user features (decent integrated popup blocker being one), and all the SP2 addons (plugin mgr). The start menu has been completely redesigned. The XP popup has been kept, with the latest used apps and a few sys links, but when you click "all programs", instead of a menu popping out to the side, the contents spill into the applications area (the box above the start menu button), and the subfolders neatly tree from there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited exerpt from "Windows Vista - beta 1" on

The Technical Place Network

Enough blabber about Vista, ie7 is a revolutionary step for Microsoft. Firstly, they've made a secure, feature-rich and socially-acceptable web browser. Secondly, they've responded to public demand, and taken heed of Firefox's growing success. I've been running Vista and IE7 since 1pm this afternoon, and I haven't felt the slightest urge to install Firefox. I imagine that in time i'll require my Colorzilla or Web Developer plugins, which are obviously only for PhirePhox at the moment, what with ie7 being a few days old, but if MS allow developers to freely make extentions for the browser, even if they have to be approved and M$-ified, then i will feel no need to switch back to firefox. I imagine the browsers theme will change with the Windows theme, when there's more than just default Aero 5112.

The GTA Place looks great in ie7, and all my sites work as well (and i made them for Firefox). Maybe this little box now knows the difference between ie sites and real sites, and maybe it can act accordingly. I haven't come accross a bad site, only slow ones. No other problems, apart from my graphics driver having a fit cos it only likes XP and Win2k. Its a rare thumbs up from me.

Windows Vista start menu with IE7

Oh and if you want to download the browser, PM or IM me

Legitimately, Windows Vista beta 1 and Internet Explorer 7 beta 1 are only availible (together or separately) to people who have subscribed to MSDN (it means you have to pay). TTPN is a RMBP (registered M$ biz partner) so we get to use the backdoor occasionally :blink:

You Can download them from Bit Torrents and Newsgroups, but it isnt recommended. For one you are only downloading early beta software that isnt universally compatible with hardware or software, it doesnt include all final features, and it isnt neccesarily stable. For another, it is illegal. For another, you don't quite know what you're downloading, it may be the real thing, it may be a fucked up version, it may be an old version that someone says is Vista but its really Longhorn 4074 or something. Download at your own risk - Chris is...

Damn, Shameless rip of FF and no stop or refresh buttons. You have to press ESC for stop, and the tools and home buttons stuff are at the bottom and back and foward are at the top. There is also a firefox esque search bar, with 5 search engines.

There are stop and refresh buttons. They're both integrated into the 'go' button.

When a web page has loaded, it is the refresh button

When a web page is loading, it is the stop button

When you type into the address bar, it is the go button

Takes a minute or two to figure out, but it all works.

I've converted back to Firefox. It is a blatent copy, and it still second-guesses some HTML, ignoring the compliancies it should obey. Overall it is a much better browser than ie6, no doubt about that, so if everybody who uses ie6 gets ie7, the web will be a much better place. It just so happens that Firefox is better.

Hmmmm.... No converting over for me! Firefox fo' life, Bitches!

Anyways, as nice as Vista seems, I'm sticking with Windows versions such as 2000 and 2003.

Damn, Shameless rip of FF and no stop or refresh buttons. You have to press ESC for stop, and the tools and home buttons stuff are at the bottom and back and foward are at the top. There is also a firefox esque search bar, with 5 search engines.

Word and word. Man, I just downloaded IE7. And as fat generic ped in OC Loc's bathroom said "Man, this shit SUCKS! Damn!" The File/Edit/View/etc are all at the bottom. The address is at the top, the stop/refresh/go buttons are all in one, you have little control over the broswer tabs and a bunch of other crap. I'll use it on my laptop to save what little memory it has, but on my Desktop, and when I'm running Linux on a PS3 someday, I'll always stick with FireFox. As for Windows Vista, which I hope is not the final name, I'd rather it be Windows: MX or Windows'06. As long as teh stupid side menu in Vista can be taken away and I can use Windows XP Luna visual style, I'll get Vista. If not, screw Vista, I'm staying with XP.

• 2 weeks later...